Author Topic: Danny isn't panicking  (Read 4500 times)

Re: Danny isn't panicking
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2015, 11:33:17 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I'd rather be patient than do what the Knicks/Nets did. We shouldn't try to contend before we're ready. I trust Danny (for now). He earned it with Banner #17 and he earned it again when he disbanded that beloved championship team. I'm alright with just watching this team for the next 2-3 years, but if there's no clear road to contention by then, we can panic.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2015, 11:46:47 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I'd rather be patient than do what the Knicks/Nets did. We shouldn't try to contend before we're ready. I trust Danny (for now). He earned it with Banner #17 and he earned it again when he disbanded that beloved championship team. I'm alright with just watching this team for the next 2-3 years, but if there's no clear road to contention by then, we can panic.

You mean the title we won 7 years ago?

Yes that was very special.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 11:51:54 PM by gpap »

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2015, 11:50:36 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Of course he's not panicking.

Because no one is holding him accountable.

He made an awful offer on draft night to move up by offering a bunch of mediocre picks.

Without the Brooklyn picks or Marcus Smart, he didn't have a chance in hell of moving up.

And then he had the nerve to say "teams will regret not taking my offer. I offered too much."

Talking about embarrassing yourself and losing credibility among other GMs

And then we enter free agency and all we have so far is Amir and resigning Jerebko and Crowder.

If this is our team come opening night, I am not wasting my time. Hopefully others won't either and then watch Danny Ainge start panicking.

That just simply isn't true. We know he did offer 16, 28, the Dallas 1st and a 2nd for #9. That's plenty on its own, especially if Charlotte wasn't even in love with Winslow. Then he reportedly was going to offer 6 picks - we can only assume an additional 1st was added, and I believe that the additional 1st was a Brooklyn 1st - and Charlotte was so enamored with The Tank that they didn't even listen to the offer.

At that point, there's not much more he could've done. You seriously would've been happy if Ainge moved up to 9 using both 1sts this year, the Dallas 1st, and multiple Brooklyn 1st? I actually would've been upset had Charlotte accepted his final offer, never mind continuing to add Brooklyn 1sts. You would've been happy if Danny used Smart and multiple Brooklyn 1sts to move up to 4 or 5? I wouldn't. Smart has as much potential as any player picked at that spot.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2015, 11:52:18 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

what!?!?! ainge didnt want to pay 7 draft picks to move up 6 places??!! what an incompetent ****!! nothing less than firing him for not making decisions based on panic is acceptable!!

and to think that ainge operates without any forward, organized, coherent thinking to guide him??!! fire his ass twice!!
yawn.
If 6 of those draft picks were 2nd rounders, they are basically worthless.   So yeah... if Ainge wasn't willing to give up more than #16, #28 + garbage waiver fodder, I don't blame the Hornets for refusing to move down.   No way Hozier + Hunter + 2nd rounders is worth a blue chip like Winslow.     

They didn't turn down the offer to take Winslow.  They took Kaminsky.  I know you don't want to acknowledge that because it makes the Hornets look dumb and not Ainge, but it remains the truth.

Mike

Kaminsky wasn't expected to fall to 16.  He was projected as a lottery/top 10 pick.  This is what posters here keep ignoring.  No matter how many times people try to rail against Jordan for not making the deal, Jordan's not going to be wrong and the people railing against Jordan aren't going to be right.  Jordan wanted Kaminsky, and Kaminsky was expected to be picked before 16, meaning a trade with Boston would likely result in Jordan losing out on his chosen player.  Celtics posters who are bashing Jordan for not trading down don't seem to get the irony of the Celtics taking a guy who was projected, by some, to fall into the late 20s, rather than trading down.

Now, whether or not Kaminsky, or any other draft pick, actually makes it is a different matter, and one that is irrelevant to the issue of the non-trade.

It's all about upside, It would've be more understandable if Jordan rejected the Celtics and drafted Winslow, but he went and got Kaminsky? A guy scouts says that he has a limited upside?

It's not about upside.  It's about posters looking to pin blame on Jordan because Ainge couldn't close any deals for his "fireworks".  To repeat:

The player Jordan wanted wasn't expected to make it to 16, so Jordan kept his pick.  In terms of the trade with Boston, Jordan staying put and drafting Kaminsky is no different than if Jordan had stayed put and drafted Winslow.

And, given that the Celtics took a reach with their 16th pick instead of dropping way back into the 20s, there's no moral high ground for Celtics fans on this one.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2015, 11:54:53 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen

He made an awful offer on draft night to move up by offering a bunch of mediocre picks.

Without the Brooklyn picks or Marcus Smart, he didn't have a chance in hell of moving up.

And then he had the nerve to say "teams will regret not taking my offer. I offered too much."

And then we enter free agency and all we have so far is Amir and resigning Jerebko and Crowder.

If this is our team come opening night, I am not wasting my time. Hopefully others won't either and then watch Danny Ainge start panicking.

That just simply isn't true. We know he did offer 16, 28, the Dallas 1st and a 2nd for #9. That's plenty on its own, especially if Charlotte wasn't even in love with Winslow. Then he reportedly was going to offer 6 picks - we can only assume an additional 1st was added, and I believe that the additional 1st was a Brooklyn 1st - and Charlotte was so enamored with The Tank that they didn't even listen to the offer.

At that point, there's not much more he could've done. You seriously would've been happy if Ainge moved up to 9 using both 1sts this year, the Dallas 1st, and multiple Brooklyn 1st? I actually would've been upset had Charlotte accepted his final offer, never mind continuing to add Brooklyn 1sts. You would've been happy if Danny used Smart and multiple Brooklyn 1sts to move up to 4 or 5? I wouldn't. Smart has as much potential as any player picked at that spot.

If Ainge's deal was so awesome for his trading partner, and Jordan was so crazy to pass it up, why wasn't it offered to, and immediately accepted by, the Pistons?

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2015, 12:00:28 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

what!?!?! ainge didnt want to pay 7 draft picks to move up 6 places??!! what an incompetent ****!! nothing less than firing him for not making decisions based on panic is acceptable!!

and to think that ainge operates without any forward, organized, coherent thinking to guide him??!! fire his ass twice!!
yawn.
If 6 of those draft picks were 2nd rounders, they are basically worthless.   So yeah... if Ainge wasn't willing to give up more than #16, #28 + garbage waiver fodder, I don't blame the Hornets for refusing to move down.   No way Hozier + Hunter + 2nd rounders is worth a blue chip like Winslow.     

They didn't turn down the offer to take Winslow.  They took Kaminsky.  I know you don't want to acknowledge that because it makes the Hornets look dumb and not Ainge, but it remains the truth.

Mike

Kaminsky wasn't expected to fall to 16.  He was projected as a lottery/top 10 pick.  This is what posters here keep ignoring.  No matter how many times people try to rail against Jordan for not making the deal, Jordan's not going to be wrong and the people railing against Jordan aren't going to be right.  Jordan wanted Kaminsky, and Kaminsky was expected to be picked before 16, meaning a trade with Boston would likely result in Jordan losing out on his chosen player.  Celtics posters who are bashing Jordan for not trading down don't seem to get the irony of the Celtics taking a guy who was projected, by some, to fall into the late 20s, rather than trading down.

Now, whether or not Kaminsky, or any other draft pick, actually makes it is a different matter, and one that is irrelevant to the issue of the non-trade.

It's all about upside, It would've be more understandable if Jordan rejected the Celtics and drafted Winslow, but he went and got Kaminsky? A guy scouts says that he has a limited upside?

It's not about upside.  It's about posters looking to pin blame on Jordan because Ainge couldn't close any deals for his "fireworks".  To repeat:

The player Jordan wanted wasn't expected to make it to 16, so Jordan kept his pick.  In terms of the trade with Boston, Jordan staying put and drafting Kaminsky is no different than if Jordan had stayed put and drafted Winslow.

And, given that the Celtics took a reach with their 16th pick instead of dropping way back into the 20s, there's no moral high ground for Celtics fans on this one.

Fans were questioning Jordan because he chose the play with the limited upside. Winslow a man who was tearing the NCAA tournament and was hyped up to be the next great two player was passed up for a player with limited athleticism. And the Celtics were not reaching when they chose Roizer considering they saw him play. If Jordan really wanted Kaminsky, he should've got Olynyk, a guy Kaminsky has been compared to.

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2015, 12:47:47 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

You mean the title we won 7 years ago?

Yes that was very special.

Did you finish reading the sentence, or just stop part way through to leave a snarky reply?
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2015, 01:25:06 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
The OP is correct in that it is a waiting game now. He is also correct in that it kind of sucks (it likely will be a waiting game next year and the year after.) But this is just the sad reality for most teams. You can panic or stay calm, it doesn't change anything. We are still waiting on Noel, Cousins, melo exc to possibly come on the block.

Maybe you mean panic as in make a panic move (like trading away billups and JJ), it's definatly not time for that.

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2015, 01:52:58 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen

yawn.

Mike

Fans were questioning Jordan because he chose the play with the limited upside. Winslow a man who was tearing the NCAA tournament and was hyped up to be the next great two player was passed up for a player with limited athleticism. And the Celtics were not reaching when they chose Roizer considering they saw him play. If Jordan really wanted Kaminsky, he should've got Olynyk, a guy Kaminsky has been compared to.

If Jordan really wanted Kaminsky, he should have drafted Kaminsky.  And that is what he did.  Also, Jordan probably saw Kaminsky play too so, using your own logic, Charlotte wasn't reaching when they chose Kaminsky. 

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2015, 01:55:13 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

I agree that there was never anything to be gained by the whole fireworks thing (other than creating a little buzz for other FAs) and that was ill-advised, but his comments were basically saying to Cs fanbase  "look we tried really hard to persuade charlotte with a huge stack of picks to get winslow - I tried". Once they knew he was still there at 9, Ainge would have had about 4 minutes to quickly throw as much as possible at MJ, who was obviously competely obsessed with Kaminsky. Then he just makes the simple observation that it is quite possible that the asset (who CHA didn't want to move for 4 or 5 future picks) turns out to be a bust. Don't think he loses credibility at all, maybe in Charlotte's eyes, but do Charlotte really have any assets we would want? Not really..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.