Author Topic: Danny isn't panicking  (Read 4499 times)

Re: Danny isn't panicking
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2015, 05:32:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

what!?!?! ainge didnt want to pay 7 draft picks to move up 6 places??!! what an incompetent ****!! nothing less than firing him for not making decisions based on panic is acceptable!!

and to think that ainge operates without any forward, organized, coherent thinking to guide him??!! fire his ass twice!!
yawn.
If 6 of those draft picks were 2nd rounders, they are basically worthless.   So yeah... if Ainge wasn't willing to give up more than #16, #28 + garbage waiver fodder, I don't blame the Hornets for refusing to move down.   No way Hozier + Hunter + 2nd rounders is worth a blue chip like Winslow.     

They didn't turn down the offer to take Winslow.  They took Kaminsky.  I know you don't want to acknowledge that because it makes the Hornets look dumb and not Ainge, but it remains the truth.

Mike
Whatever.  Point is, Danny said the price was "too high".  I assume "too high" doesn't mean "impossible".   So we opted not to pay the price and instead wait for something else.  What that "something else" is, we have to wait... but we might be in an endless cycle of "waiting" for a better option that never presents itself.   

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2015, 05:56:34 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27

what!?!?! ainge didnt want to pay 7 draft picks to move up 6 places??!! what an incompetent ****!! nothing less than firing him for not making decisions based on panic is acceptable!!

and to think that ainge operates without any forward, organized, coherent thinking to guide him??!! fire his ass twice!!
yawn.
If 6 of those draft picks were 2nd rounders, they are basically worthless.   So yeah... if Ainge wasn't willing to give up more than #16, #28 + garbage waiver fodder, I don't blame the Hornets for refusing to move down.   No way Hozier + Hunter + 2nd rounders is worth a blue chip like Winslow.     

They didn't turn down the offer to take Winslow.  They took Kaminsky.  I know you don't want to acknowledge that because it makes the Hornets look dumb and not Ainge, but it remains the truth.

Mike
Whatever.  Point is, Danny said the price was "too high".  I assume "too high" doesn't mean "impossible".   So we opted not to pay the price and instead wait for something else.  What that "something else" is, we have to wait... but we might be in an endless cycle of "waiting" for a better option that never presents itself.

That was very philosophical and extremely technical.

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2015, 06:07:17 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
I think i get it now, nerlens noel is paying ppl to post on internet forums to way overly inflate his value, finally got it.

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2015, 06:10:57 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

yawn.

Mike
TP mike

And also TP to larbrd33 for a good forum topic
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2015, 06:13:23 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

yawn.

Mike

Plus we weren't trading Rozier + Hunter, since those picks hadn't happened yet.  It's almost like the purpose of these posts isn't an objective assessment of our offseason so far.

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2015, 06:15:15 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

yawn.

Mike

No, not "whatever."  Ainge did exactly what he was supposed to do.  He identified an opportunity and used his accumulated assets to put a huge overpay on the table.  I really don't think you can blame Ainge because Jordan is an even worse GM than everybody thought.

And how many 1sts should have put up?  Six?  Eight?  Ten?

Mike

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2015, 06:19:07 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Panic, why?

I don't see any reason to panic.

Also take into consideration, yes we might've started the rebuild process 2 seasons ago, but this is really the first off-season after we finally finished deconstructing the roster (only one piece left, Wallace).

I also do not see much point in this genre of threads.

Last year, I got really upset when RR left, but then I saw what followed and learned my lesson.

Is it so hard for people to understand that you cannot pass judgment on the 2015-16 regular season in July 2015?

It is way too early.

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2015, 06:37:45 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Instead of arguing, I will keep posting this article.
It explains perfectly what's going on.
Like it or not, that's the plan.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2512635-boston-celtics-using-free-agency-to-keep-dream-of-blockbuster-trade-alive

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2015, 06:47:13 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I think i get it now, nerlens noel is paying ppl to post on internet forums to way overly inflate his value, finally got it.
http://www.libertyballers.com/2015/6/29/8862647/media-member-comes-up-with-terrible-sixers-trade-offer

But despite no deal ever being completed, TNT's David Aldridge just wants to continue to beat the hell out of this dead trade horse. He compiled a list of a dozen moves he feels are possible, and one of them is trading Nerlens Noel and Robert Covington for Marcus Smart and James Young.

This stuff needs to end. Yes, the Sixers do need help at the guard position, but this trade is not even close to fair value. Noel is worth a lot more than Smart, and Covington should be valued higher than James Young.

Maybe the tanking stuff has hurt Noel's value around the league, but he put together a pretty groundbreaking season for a player of his position. Noel finished the season averaging a stat sheet stuffing 9.9 points, 8.1 rebounds, 1.9 blocks, 1.8 steals, and 1.7 assists per game. Had he averaged .1 block more a night, he would have joined David Robinson as the only rookies ever to average at least 2 blocks and 1.5 steals a game in their rookie season. By the end of the season, he also showed a lot of improvement on the offensive side of the ball.

Smart is a good defender as well, but outside of that, not a lot about his game entices me. He takes ill-advised shots (which probably contributes to his terrible numbers), and isn't much of a facilitator. For what Philadelphia is trying to do offensively -- feed the post, and surround Okafor with quality perimeter shooters -- Smart is towards the bottom of the list of guys I would like here.

Not to mention, if the Sixers really wanted Marcus Smart that badly, they could have taken him with the third overall pick in the 2014 draft, or traded down. They did neither of those things.

The talent disparity between Covington and Young isn't close either.

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2015, 06:57:47 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

yawn.

Mike

Kaminsky wasn't expected to fall to 16.  He was projected as a lottery/top 10 pick.  This is what posters here keep ignoring.  No matter how many times people try to rail against Jordan for not making the deal, Jordan's not going to be wrong and the people railing against Jordan aren't going to be right.  Jordan wanted Kaminsky, and Kaminsky was expected to be picked before 16, meaning a trade with Boston would likely result in Jordan losing out on his chosen player.  Celtics posters who are bashing Jordan for not trading down don't seem to get the irony of the Celtics taking a guy who was projected, by some, to fall into the late 20s, rather than trading down.

Now, whether or not Kaminsky, or any other draft pick, actually makes it is a different matter, and one that is irrelevant to the issue of the non-trade.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 07:13:27 PM by Scintan »

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2015, 06:58:56 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
Panic, why?

Also take into consideration, yes we might've started the rebuild process 2 seasons ago, but this is really the first off-season after we finally finished deconstructing the roster (only one piece left, Wallace).
Danny is a great GM.

Whenever a GM takes over a team there's always that cliche line about building a contender in 3-5 seasons.  Danny Ainge might be the only GM I've ever seen to successfully pull that off.  He took over a perpetual bottom-dweller in 2003.  By 2007, he had built a contender.  4 years. 

He's earned my patience.  It's been a couple years since we traded away KG and Pierce.  He's got a few years left until you can really call this Ainge 2.0 Team a failure.

By the way... who else can you think of that has successfully traded into a champion?  It's pretty rare.  Usually champions are built via draft and free agency.
The Lakers acquired the rights to select Magic via trade with the then New Orleans Jazz, acquired the rights to select James Worthy via trade with Cleveland.The Bulls acquired mr 55 win season Scottie Pippen via trade.Do the Bulls win in 96,97,98 without acquiring Rodman for Will Perdue? , Grant had left a gaping hole at Power forward when he signed with Orlando.The Celtics acquired the first pick in the 80 draft via trade with Detroit.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 07:10:25 PM by GC003332 »

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2015, 07:01:57 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Panic, why?

Danny is a great GM.

Whenever a GM takes over a team there's always that cliche line about building a contender in 3-5 seasons.  Danny Ainge might be the only GM I've ever seen to successfully pull that off.  He took over a perpetual bottom-dweller in 2003.  By 2007, he had built a contender.  4 years. 

He's earned my patience.  It's been a couple years since we traded away KG and Pierce.  He's got a few years left until you can really call this Ainge 2.0 Team a failure.

By the way... who else can you think of that has successfully traded into a champion?  It's pretty rare.  Usually champions are built via draft and free agency.
The Lakers acquired the rights to select Magic via trade with the then New Orleans Jazz, acquired the rights to select James Worthy via trade with Cleveland.The Bulls acquired mr 55 win season Scottie Pippen via trade.Do the Bulls win in 96,97,98 without acquiring Ridman for Will Perdue? , Grant had left a gaping hole at Power forward when he signed with Orlando.The Celtics acquired the first pick in the 80 draft via trade with Detroit.
I file all of that under building through the draft.  I'm talking about giving up bundles of middling assets for established stars and winning a title.  It's rare.  Danny did it.

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2015, 11:04:17 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

yawn.

Mike

Kaminsky wasn't expected to fall to 16.  He was projected as a lottery/top 10 pick.  This is what posters here keep ignoring.  No matter how many times people try to rail against Jordan for not making the deal, Jordan's not going to be wrong and the people railing against Jordan aren't going to be right.  Jordan wanted Kaminsky, and Kaminsky was expected to be picked before 16, meaning a trade with Boston would likely result in Jordan losing out on his chosen player.  Celtics posters who are bashing Jordan for not trading down don't seem to get the irony of the Celtics taking a guy who was projected, by some, to fall into the late 20s, rather than trading down.

Now, whether or not Kaminsky, or any other draft pick, actually makes it is a different matter, and one that is irrelevant to the issue of the non-trade.

It's all about upside, It would've be more understandable if Jordan rejected the Celtics and drafted Winslow, but he went and got Kaminsky? A guy scouts says that he has a limited upside?

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2015, 11:14:09 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

yawn.

Mike

It's all about upside, It would've be more understandable if Jordan rejected the Celtics and drafted Winslow, but he went and got Kaminsky? A guy scouts says that he has a limited upside?

I had assumed this was the criticism of Jordan too.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2015, 11:18:18 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Of course he's not panicking.

Because no one is holding him accountable.

He made an awful offer on draft night to move up by offering a bunch of mediocre picks.

Without the Brooklyn picks or Marcus Smart, he didn't have a chance in hell of moving up.

And then he had the nerve to say "teams will regret not taking my offer. I offered too much."

Talking about embarrassing yourself and losing credibility among other GMs

And then we enter free agency and all we have so far is Amir and resigning Jerebko and Crowder.

If this is our team come opening night, I am not wasting my time. Hopefully others won't either and then watch Danny Ainge start panicking.