Author Topic: Developing our own talent  (Read 2098 times)

Developing our own talent
« on: July 03, 2015, 04:04:57 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
So we can pay them and keep them when they actually get good.  Just looking at the contracts flying around for  players that have won nothing. There are a lot of overrated players in the NBA that bounce around, screws up team chemistry.  Why can't we draft develop guys like Marcus and Sully and pay them when they get good.  We also have draft picks to continue infusing this team with talent and have a culture where we can win games.

Continuity is something that is lost in the NBA  nowadays in what I still consider the greatest team sport.

Re: Developing our own talent
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 04:29:25 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
So we can pay them and keep them when they actually get good.  Just looking at the contracts flying around for  players that have won nothing. There are a lot of overrated players in the NBA that bounce around, screws up team chemistry. Why can't we draft develop guys like Marcus and Sully and pay them when they get good. We also have draft picks to continue infusing this team with talent and have a culture where we can win games.

Continuity is something that is lost in the NBA  nowadays in what I still consider the greatest team sport.
Because we have not kept to the rebuilding plan and draft out of the lottery.

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 04:40:50 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Define develop talent

Keeping Sully

Out of the KFC buffet line?

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 04:43:56 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I mean develop our own players and pay them when their rookie deals are up. Gives our own players an incentive to want to play here and improve.

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 04:49:48 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
What I'm saying is build from within. Make smart trades and free agent signings.  Be smart. We have a ton of draft picks.  a lot of these players are grossly overpaid.  That's what I got out of this free agency bonanza.  Are the teams that signed these guys going to win anything? I doubt it.

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 04:52:39 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
So we can pay them and keep them when they actually get good.  Just looking at the contracts flying around for  players that have won nothing. There are a lot of overrated players in the NBA that bounce around, screws up team chemistry.  Why can't we draft develop guys like Marcus and Sully and pay them when they get good.  We also have draft picks to continue infusing this team with talent and have a culture where we can win games.

Our players aren't that talented.  Sully has had 3 years to develop.   He should have worked harder to get in better shape a couple years ago. 

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 04:52:46 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
What I'm saying is build from within. Make smart trades and free agent signings.  Be smart. We have a ton of draft picks.  a lot of these players are grossly overpaid.  That's what I got out of this free agency bonanza.  Are the teams that signed these guys going to win anything? I doubt it.

I agree with Walker. Celtics should continue to cultivate and develop their young nucleus and only make trades that will benefit the organization into a win-now situation.

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 05:05:03 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

It's surprising just how many fans don't realize the pieces of a winning basketball team have to fit
together. Just throwing contracts out there like darts, just will not work. A team needs balance or it will be one of those teams that have loads of talent, but just never win. There is a formula to the madness.
Grabbing one or a few of these "overrated players/contracts at the wrong time can hinder you for years. The good GM should know when the right time is.

Now is the time for development and patients, it's only been less than a year since we fell into a full grown rebuild. This year we're going to find out what the futures are of Smart, Young, Sully, KO, not to mention the rookies we just drafted.

I know it's hard, I want to win now too.

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 05:45:56 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

It's surprising just how many fans don't realize the pieces of a winning basketball team have to fit
together. Just throwing contracts out there like darts, just will not work. A team needs balance or it will be one of those teams that have loads of talent, but just never win. There is a formula to the madness.
Grabbing one or a few of these "overrated players/contracts at the wrong time can hinder you for years. The good GM should know when the right time is.

Now is the time for development and patients, it's only been less than a year since we fell into a full grown rebuild. This year we're going to find out what the futures are of Smart, Young, Sully, KO, not to mention the rookies we just drafted.

I actually enjoy watching the build so when we do win it makes it that much more worth it.  Too many bandwagon jumpers too.  It's just not what I enjoy about sports.  Good post though.

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 06:13:51 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
So we can pay them and keep them when they actually get good.  Just looking at the contracts flying around for  players that have won nothing. There are a lot of overrated players in the NBA that bounce around, screws up team chemistry. Why can't we draft develop guys like Marcus and Sully and pay them when they get good. We also have draft picks to continue infusing this team with talent and have a culture where we can win games.

Because we have not kept to the rebuilding plan and draft out of the lottery.
listen man, if you're going to own the celtics in the future, you gotta realize there are more than one way to skin a cat (rebuild) ;)
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 06:17:39 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

I agree. But the teams that you are talking about have guys named: Tim Duncan, Shaq, Lebron, Kobe, and etc.

I think we need at least another 2-3 years of being in the running for a top pick, even if its top 5. We can use our cap space to help other teams clear salary and we get more picks( which we can trade if we want later), and we can develop young guys and have them be loyal to THE CELTICS AND BRAD STEVENS.
Once we get high end talent through the draft and we instantly realize by watching him play that he's special and could be star/mvp.....hopefully we have 2-3 of those and we bring back multiple championships for a decade plus. Thats the Celtic way, get what you need and then win forever.

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 07:41:57 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
 My hope is to draft a kobe or a shaq or lebron and be able to keep him here his whole career so he is a true Celtic. If we keep our options open we might be able to actually do that which would be a huge feat in todays game.

I don't think we have to tank to do that either.  Kobe was not a top pick.  We have a ton of options and flexiibility if we hit right.

Either that or bring in a young player but there are only so many young superstars in the game.  Cousins, Love etc...

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 07:44:55 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Assemble a core of star or potential-star players.

Then worry about continuity.

Lay the foundation for the house before you build the walls and put in the insulation.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 07:47:24 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I like our young core.  I think we have a lot of options and good young players.  We are missing something probably but I like the guys we have.

I more think you build it and then get a guy like that when we are winning games and infuse that player into that culture.

So we are winning from the get go.  That gives us leverage.

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 07:52:48 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I'm banking on those Brooklyn picks obviously but I think we will luck out.  I think the more likely route is to draft someone once we are winning.