Author Topic: THE CBS factor  (Read 1447 times)

THE CBS factor
« on: July 03, 2015, 12:54:01 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I am a big CBS fan but a much bigger BC fan. I believe the franchise must be supreme and if the coach's ego or ambition runs counter to the team's long term goals the coach must either adapt or leave.

I have read many takes on this site that the C's plans are somewhat dictated by fear of losing CBS to the college ranks or another NBA team.

It is debatable whether we should have tanked last season for a chance at a better draft pick in the lottery, this debate will probably persist for a long time. There is also a popular sentiment that the GM was pro tank but fear of losing his coach made him accede to gunning for the playoffs and relying more on trades and free agency to improve the team.

This leads to the question. Should the GM or the coach dictate the direction of the team. Should such a young and unproven coach wield that much power over the direction of the franchise when there is no guarantee he will stay with the team beyond his current contract? Do the C's need another coach that thinks he is bigger than the team.

Re: THE CBS factor
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 01:01:06 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Yup

You know DA a promised him he would not have to directly tank

So .....it's hard to rebuild if your undermining the chances of your team to improve in the draft , by just losing a few games here and there.

Would it kill him to lose a few game s

Unfortunately

The answer is

Yes.

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 01:03:08 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
Ainge and CBS are on the same page. Don't believe Ainge wants to go the tank route because it would hurt the young players' development.

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 01:37:26 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
we're not tanking.  end of story.  if you watched last season you would see we clearly are not tanking.  that's all.  i'm tired of beating this dead horse.

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 01:45:45 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
we're not tanking.  end of story.  if you watched last season you would see we clearly are not tanking.  that's all.  i'm tired of beating this dead horse.

oooo....great pix. tp for you!  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 01:46:28 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I don't think the IT trade was to appease Stevens.  I think it was just such a good deal to get a quality player on the cheap. Ainge was hoping that it wouldn't be enough to push them into the playoffs (and most of us would've agreed when the trade was made).  Just so happened that the team gelled after the trade and made the playoffs.  Remember, also, that IT was out for a decent period down the stretch.

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 01:46:48 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
that is not a dead horse, it looks more like a plastic horse, and I don't see you beating that horse I see a bunch of star wars robotic figurines.  ;D

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 01:53:06 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I don't think the IT trade was to appease Stevens.  I think it was just such a good deal to get a quality player on the cheap. Ainge was hoping that it wouldn't be enough to push them into the playoffs (and most of us would've agreed when the trade was made).  Just so happened that the team gelled after the trade and made the playoffs.  Remember, also, that IT was out for a decent period down the stretch.

Precisely.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 02:21:06 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I am a big CBS fan but a much bigger BC fan. I believe the franchise must be supreme and if the coach's ego or ambition runs counter to the team's long term goals the coach must either adapt or leave.

I have read many takes on this site that the C's plans are somewhat dictated by fear of losing CBS to the college ranks or another NBA team.

It is debatable whether we should have tanked last season for a chance at a better draft pick in the lottery, this debate will probably persist for a long time. There is also a popular sentiment that the GM was pro tank but fear of losing his coach made him accede to gunning for the playoffs and relying more on trades and free agency to improve the team.

This leads to the question. Should the GM or the coach dictate the direction of the team. Should such a young and unproven coach wield that much power over the direction of the franchise when there is no guarantee he will stay with the team beyond his current contract? Do the C's need another coach that thinks he is bigger than the team.

TP to the OP. Thought provoking post.

I believe that Ainge wanted us NOT to tank, but to fight like hell and just miss the playoffs.

I think Stevens and ownership wanted us to make the playoffs and Ainge was outvoted. To me that sucks. No one will ever convince me that it was better to be punching bags for the Bronettes than to have a chance to get Winslow or Turner at 10-11 and the value of that pick compared to 16 to move up or get a vet.

I'm also concerned that Stevens has too much say in personnel decisions.

I am very disappointed that we didn't (and maybe I'm wrong and maybe we did behind the scenes) pursue Monroe. A 25 year old center who runs the floor, rebounds and passes like  he does and who could have been part of the long-term plan? To pass on him to keep flexibility for a big MAYBE down the line somewhere? Puke.

Hopefully Monroe wasn't passed on because he didn't fit into Brad's system.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 04:37:45 PM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 03:16:14 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
People do not stray far from their comfort zone and usually their comfort zone is familiarity. Has anyone studied CBS's Butler teams to see how he successfully compensated for the inferior talent he had compared to the college powerhouse programs.  This may give us a better insight into his influence on the  C's strategy going forward.

One often overlooked fact is that the C's last year had incredible depth because of its youth and the incredible motor and stamina of the team. Were the team suffered was at the center position and mid range offense. If these two flaws can be cured (and it looks like they could be with the development of Young and the new addition of Johnson) the team will be better and become more attractive for FAs. All this with the added bonus of flexibility and healthy array of asset-driven purchasing power.

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 03:20:36 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
This looks like a 25 win roster to me.  Brad got them to win 40... which is a tribute to just how excellent he is.  The basketball MacGyver.  He could win 40 games with duct tape and a tooth pick.

There's been plenty of whispers that Brad will bail as soon as a major NCAA opportunity opens up like Duke. 

This roster is going to be mediocre for a while.   Bill Simmons and Jalen Rose predicted that Brad would be gone within the next couple years... that was before this disaster of an offseason.  I can't see Brad sticking around long. 

He's an exceptional coach.  He deserves to coach a better team.   We have him under NBA contract for a while, but I don't think it prevents him from quitting and going back to the College ranks.

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 03:43:46 PM »

Offline emajic1

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 12

I agree.  IT is one of the best values in the league, and I think he is going to get even better in the Celtics environment.  Plans change, this is what flexibility is for, to be able to act when the moment arises.  Danny knocked it out of the park with that deal.  Perhaps liquidity is just better at the deadline and not the draft.