Author Topic: Nene is available  (Read 5767 times)

Re: Nene is available
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2015, 02:18:58 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Yes. Nene is an outstanding fit for this team, and we have no one nearly as good at either the 4 or the 5. If we could get him I would find room in the lineup for him ahead of Zeller and Jerebko no question

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2015, 04:04:55 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Yes. Nene is an outstanding fit for this team, and we have no one nearly as good at either the 4 or the 5. If we could get him I would find room in the lineup for him ahead of Zeller and Jerebko no question

Sullinger is easily better than Nene.

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2015, 04:19:47 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Kinda pointless to get Nene. There is no reason to bring in a guy to play a single season and take away minutes from guys who could still be here next season. He is old. At least with Johnson, he is younger and the Celtics have a team option.

I can't imagine we would be interested in Nene.

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2015, 04:25:39 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Well of we aren't going to tank ...then might as well try and see how good they can be ....Nene would surely help.

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2015, 05:01:11 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
A one year deal, can be obtained for the trade exception and a late pick (2nd rounder maybe)?

I actually don't mind this, he played over 26 minutes a game last year and played in 67 games, I would cut his minutes back a bit, rest him some during the season, and have him back up Zeller in the hopes he could contribute better in the playoffs when he would be playing for a contract. 

2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2015, 05:03:47 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
A one year deal, can be obtained for the trade exception and a late pick (2nd rounder maybe)?

I actually don't mind this, he played over 26 minutes a game last year and played in 67 games, I would cut his minutes back a bit, rest him some during the season, and have him back up Zeller in the hopes he could contribute better in the playoffs when he would be playing for a contract.

Doesn't the trade exception only work if you are over the cap? Are we even near the cap?

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2015, 05:13:59 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton

Doesn't the trade exception only work if you are over the cap? Are we even near the cap?

You are correct on how it works, what are we at in terms of salary committed?

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2015, 05:26:56 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

You are correct on how it works, what are we at in terms of salary committed?

I think Ainge had to renounce the Rondo TPE to accommodate the Amir Johnson signing. But I don't know if that's confirmed.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2015, 05:30:34 PM »

Offline NYDan

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
The idea of Nene in his prime is great, love his skillset, but the reality of Nene in 2015 is an unreliable player that can't stay healthy and is on the decline. We've already signed our stopgap big for next season, if we're aiming for another one via a trade it should be a younger player who has potential to grow with the core.

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2015, 01:11:44 AM »

Offline I told you so

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
The idea of Nene in his prime is great, love his skillset, but the reality of Nene in 2015 is an unreliable player that can't stay healthy and is on the decline. We've already signed our stopgap big for next season, if we're aiming for another one via a trade it should be a younger player who has potential to grow with the core.

I agree completely.  At 33, Nene is a shell of the player he was in 2011.  During the past three seasons he has missed 20, 28 and 14 games due to a variety of injuries.  He has limited range offensively, is a below average rebounder, and is even less of a rim protector than Zeller (22 blocks in 68 games last year).  In fact Zeller was considerably better than Nene in virtually every offensive category.

Can't see how an over the hill big like Nene would fit into the Celts' building plan, either short term or long term.

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2015, 03:48:54 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
He's supposedly making $13MM which is more than our TPE for Rondo. IOW, what do you want to give up to get a big serving of burnt toast?

If he had anything left, the Wizards beat the Bulls and Nene's not being peddled in favor of West who's getting crispy too.

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2015, 11:31:02 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton

I agree completely.  At 33, Nene is a shell of the player he was in 2011.  During the past three seasons he has missed 20, 28 and 14 games due to a variety of injuries.  He has limited range offensively, is a below average rebounder, and is even less of a rim protector than Zeller (22 blocks in 68 games last year).  In fact Zeller was considerably better than Nene in virtually every offensive category.

Can't see how an over the hill big like Nene would fit into the Celts' building plan, either short term or long term.

He can score, plays above average defense, has a lot of experience which could rub off on Zeller. 

If you are saying you would prefer to get your long term center this offseason, then I agree, I just do not see it as possible.  Wallace for Nene, Nene comes off the bench to back up Zeller, saves Washington $3 million, is that enough savings for them?

I'd prefer Wallace for Lee as he is a better player, but if that doesn't work out getting a veteran big to back up Zeller I would be fine with. 

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2015, 11:36:55 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

He can score, plays above average defense, has a lot of experience which could rub off on Zeller. 

If you are saying you would prefer to get your long term center this offseason, then I agree, I just do not see it as possible.  Wallace for Nene, Nene comes off the bench to back up Zeller, saves Washington $3 million, is that enough savings for them?

I'd prefer Wallace for Lee as he is a better player, but if that doesn't work out getting a veteran big to back up Zeller I would be fine with.

If we got Nene or Lee (which I would love) they should be starting, NOT Zeller. Zeller is a back-up center who shouldn't have been starting last year, but we didn't have anyone else.

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2015, 12:08:47 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton

If we got Nene or Lee (which I would love) they should be starting, NOT Zeller. Zeller is a back-up center who shouldn't have been starting last year, but we didn't have anyone else.

I agree with Lee starting, I would have Nene off the bench and cut his minutes to 20 a game in the hopes that he is fresher for the playoffs then he was this season.  Sell him on it prolonging his career.