Author Topic: This off season has been frustrating, but don't panic. BREATHE!  (Read 11726 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I think once the dust settles we'll all be pretty happy with Ainge this offseason and the discipline he's shown in not overpaying for bums to subdue an obviously desperate/crazy/demanding fan base.

Crowder's here on a bargain, we got a nice pick with RJ Hunter. I personally like Rozier as the 16th pick and Mickey's certainly not gonna be Fab Melo 2.0.

The best part about this offseason for me was getting Amir Johnson to let Sully and Olynyk (mostly Sully) play their traditional PF positions with a solid rim protector helping them on the weak side. 
The beautiful part about Amir's deal is it's cheap for what he brings to the court and the locker room.... and most importantly, it's only one year guaranteed.

I think Ainge's plan is to go absolutely All in with Cousins and contracts like Amir's make that much easier to do so that we have basically have a 12 million dollar expiring contract for one or two years if we like. That contract also lets Stevens showcase Olynyk and Sully in different ways and hides some of their defensive deficiencies.
Put Amir's $12 million, Jonas $5 million with Turner's $3 million or whatever it is and we're laughing with $20 million in expirings just with those three. Wallace Adds another $10 million for $30 million total expirings ( I think that's everyone?)

Should Cousins or Melo become available we are in a good spot with our picks and young guys to throw a nice looking deal at the Kings + Knicks.

Pretty happy overall. It's a development year, and I dunno if the Brooklyn/Dallas picks will be all that great, but I think we are underdogs to make the playoffs and combining our own top 10 pick with the Brooklyn pick+Dallas pick should get us a nice top 5 selection if there's someone we like.

Anyone else pretty happy if things stay as they are and we don't blow 4 years and 60 million of cap room on a relative gamble like Harris?
Thoughts on offseason?

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: This off season has been frustrating, but don't panic. BREATHE!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 11:59:57 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I'll be happier when we ditch the guys who cannot play defense.  We only have a few of those left on the team but they need to go.

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 12:01:59 PM »

Offline Yenohb

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 73
TP. We're on the same wavelength.  ;D

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 12:02:47 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I like bringing back Crowder and Jerebko.  I like the draft picks.  I like signing Amir.  I like that Ainge hasn't made any horrible mistakes or left the team in a terrible position.

However, I can understand a fan who is frustrated that Ainge is keeping his powder dry.  We were never going to land one of the top free agents and it's probably good we didn't fool ourselves otherwise, unlike NY or the Lakers.  The Knicks are going to come out of free agency with Afflalo and Robin Lopez and the Lakers aren't even going to get that.  But there were some bigger moves out there to be made, like going after Monroe and Harris, and it seems like Ainge wasn't really interested in even trying to make them.

Mike

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 12:06:46 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I am so excited for 38 wins and a four game sweep in the playoffs guys I can barely contain myself.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 12:10:59 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I'll be happier when we ditch the guys who cannot play defense.  We only have a few of those left on the team but they need to go.

TP Agree^

We need a trade for sure. As we stand right now, we're going to have some unhappy Celtics. (due to shortened minutes) Way to many PF's and SG's.

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 12:12:46 PM »

Offline KingChre

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 21
I am so excited for 38 wins and a four game sweep in the playoffs guys I can barely contain myself.

I'm not going to get into the four game sweep part of your statement because that's certainly possible, but what would possibly make you think that this team will be worse next season than last?

They retained everybody but Bass, and Johnson should be an improvement there. They had the 2nd best record in the East after Isaiah Thomas arrived. I understand the pessimism to a degree because I think we were all holding out hope for more, but I don't see any circumstance where this team isn't improved.

I am thinking around 45 wins. It's certainly arguable that isn't what's best for the team in the long term, but 38 wins is unrealistic.
Looking at my gucci, and it's about that time...

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 12:14:15 PM »

Offline KingChre

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 21
Additionally, we are literally 2 days into Free Agency. I don't think it's likely that they will be adding a superstar between now and the start of training camp, but getting all hot and bothered as of right now is a wasted exercise.
Looking at my gucci, and it's about that time...

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 12:30:32 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

I'm not going to get into the four game sweep part of your statement because that's certainly possible, but what would possibly make you think that this team will be worse next season than last?

They retained everybody but Bass, and Johnson should be an improvement there. They had the 2nd best record in the East after Isaiah Thomas arrived. I understand the pessimism to a degree because I think we were all holding out hope for more, but I don't see any circumstance where this team isn't improved.

I am thinking around 45 wins. It's certainly arguable that isn't what's best for the team in the long term, but 38 wins is unrealistic.

I think we had a perfect storm to finish off the season. We were on pace for something like 50 wins after the all star break, and anyone with functioning eyes can tell you this was not a 50 win team (not even a Denver Nuggets style 50 win team).

We'll probably win more than 38 wins. I think I voted under on the 47 poll.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 12:31:16 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

I actually don't think we'll make the playoffs, but if we do I think with geniusboy as our coach and some general improvement from Marcus,  Sully and some defense from Amir, that we can challenge pretty much any team other than the Cavs.

Good news is that if we make the playoffs it's likely the Nets don't,  so we'll have a lottery pick either way...
Just keep preserving our cap room with short term deals and wait for Cousins or whoever.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 12:54:03 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
I like bringing back Crowder and Jerebko.  I like the draft picks.  I like signing Amir.  I like that Ainge hasn't made any horrible mistakes or left the team in a terrible position.

However, I can understand a fan who is frustrated that Ainge is keeping his powder dry.  We were never going to land one of the top free agents and it's probably good we didn't fool ourselves otherwise, unlike NY or the Lakers.  The Knicks are going to come out of free agency with Afflalo and Robin Lopez and the Lakers aren't even going to get that.  But there were some bigger moves out there to be made, like going after Monroe and Harris, and it seems like Ainge wasn't really interested in even trying to make them.

Mike

I completely agree.
I mean the Knicks aren't a real threat in the East with Lopez and Afflalo,  but they probably compete for the 7th/8th spot with us and Detroit, Charlotte, Brooklyn which can only be good for our draft picks and a true test of where our squad sits talent wise either way.

I have a feeling we'll need at least 45 wins to make the 8th seed which will be tough with an improving East.

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 12:58:05 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
No....

Wrong

Danny needs to feel the heat

He is in charge

The monkey is on his back

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 01:02:40 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Don't panic. Just accept that this team is irrelevant for the long haul.  Your favorite team is an also-ran.  You're rooting for a perpetually mediocre treadmill squad with no hope of contending.  Half the league is like that.  Accept that we aren't special. Our crappy assets are the same as everyone else's crappy assets.  Ainge spoiled us.  We lost sight of how impossible it is to trade into a contender.  Aside from our little 3.5 year window of contending, we have been like that more or less for 25 years.   We will make the playoffs sometimes. We will miss the playoffs sometimes.  We will add some garbage players. We will stumble into a fringe star like Al Jefferson every 10 years... But we will not matter.  This team will not matter.  We will be on the outside looking in.  This is not our league. It belongs to teams like Cleveland, golden state, Oklahoma... And eventually it will belong to teams like Minnesota and Philly.  We are the Washington Generals. If you see our face, it will probably be on the other end of someone's boot in dunk posters and sportscenter highlights.

The sooner you accept that the sooner you can start celebrating the moral victories... Like stumbling into a Delote West from time to time in the draft, or landing a serviceable big man like Rodney Rodgers or amir Johnson... Or making the playoffs with a losing record.

We spent the majority of the last 3 decades in this spot.  Welcome back.  Rub KG's pixie dust out of your eyes... You have been here for a few years now and didn't even notice it. Time to accept it.  There's no easy way out of it.   Here's hoping one of these years we bottom out and finally luck into a cornerstone.  Accept our futility and this will all be easier to stomach.

Or you can sit here for the next 20 years and keep waiting for that "other shoe" to drop that never comes. That will just lead to disappointment.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 01:17:05 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 01:04:44 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
what a ray of sunshine.  :P

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 01:10:15 PM »

Offline JoeyAinge

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
Smart/Isiah
Bradley/Young
Melo/Crowder
Kelly/Jerebko
Cousins/Zeller

BANNER 18  :o