Author Topic: Will Tyler Zeller surprise this year?  (Read 5024 times)

Re: Will Tyler Zeller surprise this year?
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2015, 10:49:15 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
TZ seems to be improving and may be a reason why finding another center hasn't seemed
to be high on DA's priority list. If he can trade for one without breaking the bank he probably
will. DA's priority this far seems to have been better 3pt shooters and better defensive wing men.

Look, I agree that Zeller has shown improvement last season.  However I don't feel that DA made center a lower priority because of Zeller.  He simply could not get deals done for a marquee center or moving up in the draft to get a top big man.

DA offered Philly a lot to move up to #3 to draft Okafor but was turned down.  DA offered nearly the moon, 6 draft picks, to move up to #9 with Charlotte but was rejected.  Can you imagine the ransom demanded for pick #3??

As for the free agent big men, most of them outright snubbed the Celtics.  Deandre Jordan, Kevin Love, etc. didn't even give us an opportunity to pitch them to come to Boston.  DA however did plunk down 24m dollars for Amir Johnson, who will likely be the starter at 5 for us in small ball lineups.

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2015, 10:59:21 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
No I don't think he will.  He was pretty dang good last year and that's what he is.  Bring on Cousins so he can be a super sub.

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2015, 03:37:56 AM »

Offline Hardwood Harry

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
For 2 years, he's done nothing but practice...we're talkin bout practice....practice... not a game, PRACTICE!!  My money on someone making a leap goes to Iverson (Colton)

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2015, 04:06:24 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Zeller's advanced stats say he's a below average starting quality center.  He's got a couple of years of development to go defensively, but being average starting center is not an impossible ceiling. That's a long way away from Cousins or Goubert, but he's not the biggest problem the Cs have. Getting (or developing) people who can reliably score other than IT will get a lot more wins than adding a defensive center who can't score (like Noel or WCS). Of course getting Cousins is a whole different proposition because you'd win the battle at center most nights and dominate many of them given the lack of quality centers in the NBA.

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2015, 08:27:40 AM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Exposed vs Cleveland!
Everyone thinks an offseason is going to make him better. Cannot play D. Career backup. Great move Danny!

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2015, 08:57:45 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I do not think CBS feels C is a priority, he likes stretch bigs, who can spread the floor.   Old style Cs do not really fit in his schemes.

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2015, 09:00:35 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Exposed vs Cleveland!
Everyone thinks an offseason is going to make him better. Cannot play D. Career backup. Great move Danny!

I don't think he was exposed vs. Cleveland at all. He wasn't a world beater, but at least competent to have a role on a team.

If anyone was exposed in the playoffs it was Olynyk.

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2015, 11:05:02 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Exposed vs Cleveland!
it was a great move to get him

Do you even remember what we gave up for him?
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2015, 12:38:28 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Exposed vs Cleveland!
it was a great move to get him

My biggest complaint is not the player. A player is what he is. In this case Zeller is a career backup.
You cannot take limited players and turn them into superstars,  or competant starters. Its never worked..

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2015, 12:40:24 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Zeller's advanced stats say he's a below average starting quality center.  He's got a couple of years of development to go defensively, but being average starting center is not an impossible ceiling. That's a long way away from Cousins or Goubert, but he's not the biggest problem the Cs have. Getting (or developing) people who can reliably score other than IT will get a lot more wins than adding a defensive center who can't score (like Noel or WCS). Of course getting Cousins is a whole different proposition because you'd win the battle at center most nights and dominate many of them given the lack of quality centers in the NBA.

TP.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/