Author Topic: Will Tyler Zeller surprise this year?  (Read 5019 times)

Will Tyler Zeller surprise this year?
« on: July 03, 2015, 01:46:01 AM »

Offline JR4

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3
 Read an article that said TZ has worked every off season to add muscle and this off season
should be the same.
also this

"Vantage Sports records a statistic called "Keep-in-Front %," which measures the percentage of drives a defender stays between the opponent and the basket. Zeller ranks 3rd in the NBA with an 84.5 Keep-in-Front %... . The league average for all big men is 68.9, according to Vantage Sports, which means Tyler Zeller is elite in this category."

It seems to me TZ was very fluid toward the end of the season often being in the right place at the right time.

Anyone think he may even be better this year?

Re: Will Tyler Zeller surprise this year?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 01:48:46 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Cool stat. I think Zeller will take another step forward this season and become a starting level big, but will most likely come off the bench after the Celts acquired Amir Johnson.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 01:57:48 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Sounds nice in isolation, but all many other stats I've seen reported (rim protection, Opponent PER, Opponent FG%, etc) have all indicated that Zeller was one of our worst defensive bigs last year.

I do feel he has some upside though.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 08:21:07 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Zeller needs to learn to shoot threes.
That would make him a much more valuable player.

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 08:39:35 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
It tough to predict what will happen with individual players with so much roster uncertainty. BS has to be hoping DA makes some clean up trade to bring some stability to his rotation. Currently the Cs have Sully, KO, Zeller and Johnson who all should earn 20 + mpg at the 4 or 5. With 48 min in a game that means 96 available minutes. Crowder playing small ball 4 also have to be factored into this as does Jerebko as the unility 3/4/5.

If Zeller can get a jump in minutes from last years 21mpg then I think he will be abe to surprise and make the next jump in the 13-14 ppg 7-8 rb per range. However I expect he will stay around 21 and put up similar production as last year.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 08:42:29 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
It tough to predict what will happen with individual players with so much roster uncertainty. BS has to be hoping DA makes some clean up trade to bring some stability to his rotation. Currently the Cs have Sully, KO, Zeller and Johnson who all should earn 20 + mpg at the 4 or 5. With 48 min in a game that means 96 available minutes. Crowder playing small ball 4 also have to be factored into this as does Jerebko as the unility 3/4/5.

If Zeller can get a jump in minutes from last years 21mpg then I think he will be abe to surprise and make the next jump in the 13-14 ppg 7-8 rb per range. However I expect he will stay around 21 and put up similar production as last year.

I agree that Zeller with more minutes will produce more offensively but we will also lose points defensively with his lack of defense/shot blocking.

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 09:46:14 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Zeller lacks agressivness, and assertiveness, he's nothing more than a C-- defender. He's just not starting material.

He does have more up side on the offensive end, with his outside shooting, and pick and roll ability. He would make a nice backup center.

We should still be looking for a center (a backup from a good team, or a FA)

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 10:25:38 AM »

Offline hagar55voa

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
Zeller gets no help on defense from his teammates...He commits and the other players do not rotate properly to help him out...Let Zeller play 25-30 minutes a game and he will be good...Celtics need to quit worrrying about Zeller and put a halt to all the guards chucking up threes instead of moving the ball around for a good shot...

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 10:29:33 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Zeller is what he is.  A quality offensive-minded backup.  If he's your starter, you're not in great shape.  On a really stacked team, it might work.

He's the offensive-minded version of Timofey Mozgov.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 10:30:44 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
will he surprise this year? only if you have unrealistic expectations for him. then he will both surprise and disappoint. but the problem there would not be zeller, he is what he is...a very good back up center in the nba.

i am glad the celtics have zeller, but they arent going really far if zeller continues to be in their starting line up.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 10:57:28 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
"Vantage Sports records a statistic called "Keep-in-Front %," which measures the percentage of drives a defender stays between the opponent and the basket. Zeller ranks 3rd in the NBA with an 84.5 Keep-in-Front %... . The league average for all big men is 68.9, according to Vantage Sports, which means Tyler Zeller is elite in this category."

It is great that he stays in front of his man, it is bad that they can easily push him out of the way or shoot over him.  Since he is not even considered an elite defender, one can conclude that this is not the most useful stat.

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 11:10:16 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Surprise

Hum...

Would be Danny could not find

Even

Just ONE better Center .......not one .....yet he won't let the Celtics drop into the top five to pick up a center.

Poor poor planning ......he accomplished NOTHING ...

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 01:18:37 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
Zeller will be a productive rotation player for Boston this year. Don't expect him to be spectacular but also don't expect him to regress. He will be a net positive for the team.

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 01:34:20 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
He already surprised.  Depends on if you mean good surprise or bad surprise.  Looks to me like Amir Johnson will be our starter and Zeller will get solid backup minutes.

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 01:53:54 PM »

Offline JR4

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3
Good replies and I see most consider TZ just a good bench Center not a real good starter.

It is interesting that his keeps in front of percentage is 84.5 and is one of the best in the league.
Some say he gets push out of the way but wouldn't that cause this stat to go down? I mean
if he is constantly being pushed out of the way then he's not keeping in front of his man.

Also his PER  stat went from 14 to 18 this year and he was better towards the end of the season.
Also consider this observation:
   Zeller's pick-and-roll defense numbers on Synergy are right around the league average, but that is largely due to the fact Boston drops or "ices" pick-and-rolls, which encourages opponents to shoot threes

TZ seems to be improving and may be a reason why finding another center hasn't seemed
to be high on DA's priority list. If he can trade for one without breaking the bank he probably
will. DA's priority this far seems to have been better 3pt shooters and better defensive wing men.