Author Topic: Wes Matthews agrees to four-year, $57M deal with the Dallas Mavericks  (Read 5945 times)

Re: Wes Matthews offered three-year, $45M deal by the Sacramento Kings
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 11:17:49 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Update!

Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine
Wes Matthews Update: Sacramento offer to free-agent swingman is actually four-year deal at $16 million annually for total of $64 million

Boy is Sacramento incompetent. They dealt Stauskas and 1sts for the cap space to grab a non-All-Star that will force McLemore to the bench just as he gets good enough to start demanding playing time and shots?

Maybe Ainge believes that Cousins isn't really available now but if he just waits, the Sacramento dumpster fire will make a Cousins trade inevitable.

I don't know what Ainge believes, but Cousins leaving Sacramento is a better bet than the Sun coming up tomorrow.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

Re: Wes Matthews offered four-year, $64M deal by the Sacramento Kings
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2015, 12:43:49 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Wes Matthews Latest: ESPN sources say Matthews' camp has notified Kings he's unlikely to take their offer, making Dallas even more likely

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2015, 12:48:01 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Wow if a player like Matthews is turning down that overpay from Sacto they really are on the nose.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2015, 12:53:17 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
As @daldridgetnt just tweeted, Wes Matthews has officially given a verbal commitment to the Mavs after turning Sacramento down

Re: Wes Matthews gives verbal commitment to the Dallas Mavericks
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2015, 12:54:42 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Did sac give away stauskas to miss out on Wes Matthews ?  What a hilarious team.

Re: Wes Matthews agrees to four-year deal with the Dallas Mavericks
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2015, 12:58:06 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Did sac give away stauskas to miss out on Wes Matthews ?  What a hilarious team.
Keep in mind that these trades are not finalized. Technically Sacramento can back-out of the deal... don't think they would, that would be a disaster as well, but something to keep in mind if the deal was in place with the understanding that Sacramento managed to grab someone in FA.

David Aldridge @daldridgetnt
Contract amount with Dallas is not yet finalized, but Kings have been told Matthews is not taking their offer.

Wes Matthews has agreed in principle with the Mavericks on a four-year deal, per source. Turned down huge offer from Sacramento.

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2015, 07:26:35 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I do not understand how Dallas decide Monta Ellis is not worth the money but then turn around and give Wes Matthews coming off a torn achilles even more money.

Makes no sense to me.

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2015, 08:22:23 AM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
Can't believe Sacramento gave up Stauskas and first round picks for the cap space to sign Ellis or Matthews and got neither. That's really stepping up the incompetency.

What do they do now, give all the money to Rondo?

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2015, 08:26:03 AM »

Offline JoeyAinge

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
He really doesn't turn the needle for the Mavs. Mavs are still borderline playoff team. Dirk is clapped. Have no Center. And no Point, Devin Harris is ok, but on the western conference trotting out Devin Harris and JJ Barea. Good luck with that. An injury to ANY of their starting 5 and they're a Lottery team.

Devin Harris/ JJ Barea
Wes Mathews/ Justin Anderson
Parsons/ Richard Jefferson
Dirk/ Dwight Powell
Amare/

Now if they get DeAndre... They could be a playoff team if everyone stays healthy.

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2015, 08:31:36 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Update!

Wes Matthews Update: Sacramento offer to free-agent swingman is actually four-year deal at $16 million annually for total of $64 million

Boy is Sacramento incompetent. They dealt Stauskas and 1sts for the cap space to grab a non-All-Star that will force McLemore to the bench just as he gets good enough to start demanding playing time and shots?

Maybe Ainge believes that Cousins isn't really available now but if he just waits, the Sacramento dumpster fire will make a Cousins trade inevitable.

I don't know what Ainge believes, but Cousins leaving Sacramento is a better bet than the Sun coming up tomorrow.

Actually I don't think so...because of the 76ers trade. Sacramento has essentially foreclosed a tear-it-down strategy for the next two years because they would have to surrender any terrific draft picks to the 76ers.

I haven't heard this mentioned much but to me it's the worst thing about that trade for the Kings. In the modern era flexibility is one of most valuable assets one can have and the Kings just torpedoed a lot of theirs....to sign someone like Rondo no less.

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2015, 08:36:53 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Can't believe Sacramento gave up Stauskas and first round picks for the cap space to sign Ellis or Matthews and got neither. That's really stepping up the incompetency.

What do they do now, give all the money to Rondo?

Usually teams are smart enough to negotiate and sit on a deal like that until they got the FA to commit to joining their team.

Silly to be so haphazard about dumping the #8 pick last year.

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2015, 08:37:35 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Thats a lot for some one coming off a very bad injury. Don't even know if he'll be even close to the same player.

As someone who has torn his achilles playing basketball, I will say that there is 0% chance he is the same player or person, physically.

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2015, 08:46:39 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I do not understand how Dallas decide Monta Ellis is not worth the money but then turn around and give Wes Matthews coming off a torn achilles even more money.

Makes no sense to me.

There's a lot of things going on that make little sense to me as well.

And I like Matthews, so hoping the best for him, but the decision making going into this seems to lack sound logic.

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2015, 09:20:54 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
As bad as things have gone for the Knicks and Lakers, the Kings look even worse.  Taking a huge risk with those swap options and not getting the contract signed anyway.  On to Rondo maybe?

...in this case though, it could be saving them from themselves.  Like a lot of people are saying, Achilles tears are no joke, arguably a lot worse than an ACL.  Hope Matthews recovers fully but Dallas is taking a big risk here.

Re: Wes Matthews agrees to four-year, $57M deal with the Dallas Mavericks
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2015, 06:16:11 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
DeAndre Jordan going to Dallas impacts Wes Matthews deal w/Mavs. Matthews will get 4/57M. Would have been more if Jordan had stayed in LA.