Author Topic: Robin Lopez finalizing four-year, $54M deal with the New York Knicks  (Read 5955 times)

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

What?? Lol Derozan is clearly bending down...This doesn't mean Amir Johnson is suddenly 6-11.

I dare someone who actually uses Twitter to see if tweeting Amir Johnson directly will get him to clarify his current height/weight.

https://twitter.com/BudWC/status/616795950279995392

Done! :p

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Point guard or bust! >:(

And if we would sign Lopez for multiple years at 12-13M we would have probably even more whining. Not sure if people wanting him have actually seen him play. Yes, he's big, but he's slow as dirt, isn't really that great at defending the P&R, and has very limited range. At that money this is the kind of guy  that Boston fans would crucify once they see the product on the floor night in and out.

It's just the idea that areas of needs are being signed all around us.  I don't want either Lopez here especially robin so 8)

But let's not go big and tie up valuable cap space for the sake of going big and just doing something. Let's add pieces that fit our system. If that means brining in Johnson for 1 year and then resetting next off-season, then I'd prefer that route.

Oh, and to dispel rumors here is a photo of Johnson next to DeRozan, who is listed at 6-7 (DX had him at 6-6 1/2 during the 2009 combine), so it's pretty easy to see Johnson has surpassed the 6-9 height he's listed at. So having a 6-11 athletic center is a little easier to swallow.

What?? Lol Derozan is clearly bending down...This doesn't mean Amir Johnson is suddenly 6-11.

Next to 7 foot Valanciunis.. Pretty clear he's bigger than 6-9.

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Connecting dots…

Aldridge does not want to play center and is said to have enjoyed playing with Lopez.
Has meeting with NY.
Cancels meeting with NY because they still don't have a center.
NY signs Lopez.

What's next? Has the NY situation, playing alongside Anthony and ex-teammates Lopez and Afflalo, suddenly become attractive to Aldridge? If a meeting is scheduled then that would be a clear indication that NY is a legit threat.

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
i would have thought NY would go with koufos
as it seemed like they were going for a longer rebuild
koufos plays like a starter in limited mins
probably could have gotten him cheaply compared to lopez

Offline kdot18

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
Point guard or bust! >:(

And if we would sign Lopez for multiple years at 12-13M we would have probably even more whining. Not sure if people wanting him have actually seen him play. Yes, he's big, but he's slow as dirt, isn't really that great at defending the P&R, and has very limited range. At that money this is the kind of guy  that Boston fans would crucify once they see the product on the floor night in and out.

It's just the idea that areas of needs are being signed all around us.  I don't want either Lopez here especially robin so 8)

But let's not go big and tie up valuable cap space for the sake of going big and just doing something. Let's add pieces that fit our system. If that means brining in Johnson for 1 year and then resetting next off-season, then I'd prefer that route.

Oh, and to dispel rumors here is a photo of Johnson next to DeRozan, who is listed at 6-7 (DX had him at 6-6 1/2 during the 2009 combine), so it's pretty easy to see Johnson has surpassed the 6-9 height he's listed at. So having a 6-11 athletic center is a little easier to swallow.

Next to 7 foot Valanciunis.. Pretty clear he's bigger than 6-9.

http://gyazo.com/10ee03a8b293808d68d6894b68986fa3

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I favor the East getting better, it will improve value of our Nets' picks, and also our MN pick!!

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine
ESPN sources say Robin Lopez has chosen Knicks over Lakers and will join NYK as long as DeAndre Jordan, as expected, chooses Clips or Mavs

Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine
Source close to talks says Robin Lopez has COMMITTED to join Knicks and will do so ... UNLESS DeAndre Jordan chooses Knicks

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I am surprised by the money. It is a lot less than I thought R.Lopez would get. I thought R.Lopez would have gotten $10-12 million under the old cap. So with the cap about to spike, I thought he'd be at $15+million per year.

To hear R.Lopez might be available for $12-13 million. I think that is a really good price.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA
The Knicks are finalizing a four-year, $54 million agreement with free agent center Robin Lopez, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Only a highly improbable DeAndre Jordan change of heart on choosing between Clippers and Mavericks could derail Lopez deal in New York.

Re: Robin Lopez finalizing four-year, $54M deal with the New York Knicks
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2015, 02:30:59 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
PG: Jose Calderon, Jerian Grant
SG: Aron Afflalo
SF: Carmelo Anthony
PF: Porzingis
 C: Robin Lopez

You know what, much to my own surprise ... I'd actually enjoy watching that team next year.

That is a really interesting frontcourt. Old star and brilliant scorer at the tail-end of his prime in Carmelo Anthony. One of the most intriguing young bigs in the league at PF in Porzingis. Twin towers combo with Porzingis and R.Lopez. That is a fun mix.

The backcourt is more dubious ... depends a lot on Afflalo and how well he plays. Still though. It has some possibilities if Afflalo can get back to where he was a year ago. And I am looking forward to seeing how Jerian Grant does in the NBA and how well he can adapt to the Triangle offense. It looks like the wheels have been coming off of Calderon though which is a pity because he is someone I have enjoyed watching for a long time.

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2015, 02:32:20 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Celtics have Zeller at 3 mil... i dont see much of an upgrade

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2015, 02:32:59 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

You know what, much to my own surprise ... I'd actually enjoy watching that team next year.

That is a really interesting frontcourt. Old star and brilliant scorer at the tail-end of his prime in Carmelo Anthony. One of the most intriguing young bigs in the league at PF in Porzingis. Twin towers combo with Porzingis and R.Lopez. That is a fun mix.

The backcourt is more dubious ... depends a lot on Afflalo and how well he plays. Still though. It has some possibilities if Afflalo can get back to where he was a year ago. And I am looking forward to seeing how Jerian Grant does in the NBA and how well he can adapt to the Triangle offense. It looks like the wheels have been coming off of Calderon though which is a pity because he is someone I have enjoyed watching for a long time.

I'm with you with much of this. There's still room to add depth to this, so we'll see how that goes... but I've always been a big fan of Robin Lopez, much more than Brook, so this will be a team worth watching because it can go either way and it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2015, 03:04:04 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Will Porzingis start right away? Might take a while to get game action given his lack of weight. Really look forward to watching him develop. Sure wish he came out last season.

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2015, 03:04:10 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Free agent center Robin Lopez discussing deal with Knicks that would earn him in range of $12M-$13M per season, league sources tell Yahoo.

Update:

The Knicks are finalizing a four-year, $54 million agreement with free agent center Robin Lopez, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

There goes the Big Three of Lopez, Love, and Pierce...

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2015, 03:05:38 PM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29

That's still a terrible lineup. They'll struggle to beat the 76ers in the standings. I thought Lopez would be a good get for 8-10 million, but that's a pretty steep price.