Author Topic: Tobias harris ready to sign with team?  (Read 12188 times)

Re: Tobias harris ready to sign with team?
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2015, 11:09:22 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
i heard that celtics are not pursuing harris

as after orlando failed to bring in milsapp
said they will now match any offer for harris

celtics had a certain limit that they were willing to pay to get harris
so now will not try to get him as magic will probably offer max

« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2015, 11:26:58 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
i heard that celtics are not pursuing harris

as after orlando failed to bring in milsapp
said they will now match any offer for harris

celtics had a certain limit that they were willing to pay to get harris
so now will not try to get him as magic will probably offer max

Yesterday's report

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2015, 11:53:16 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
As I understand it, we can officially sign Crowder and Jerebko last, and go over the cap to do so. If we wanted Harris we would sign him first, possibly clearing just a couple million in a S&T. Then go over the cap to bring back Crowder and Jerebko.

Not true, because until Crowder and Jerebko are signed their cap hold still exists and counts against the cap.

That means we have $12M for Amir Johnson + Crowder cap hold + Jerebko cap hold all counting against the cap.

We are technically already over the cap and likely had to renounce the Rondo TPE to get the cap space to n order to sign Johnson.

1) Then We're still over the cap because Johnson's contact replaced the Rondo TPE...
2) We can't renounce the Crowder / Jerebko cap holds since we're re-signing them
3) We can renounce the Bass cap hold, but it's not enough to sign harris
4) Even if we did get enough to sign Harris, the article I posted earlier states that Orlando will match any offer...so it doesn't help anyway

No point in Danny Ainge wasting any more time chasing this - Orlando decided they will match any offer, so there is nothing Boston can do.

Even if Harris signs the qualifying offer, there's still nothing Boston can do because (as explained above) Orlando can't then trade him for a year. 

So the only way Boston can get Harris is if Orlando decided they are going to sign and trade him now in the hope of getting assets back...and if they were going to do that then DA would have already jumped on it by now.

So my friends, do yourselves a favor and give up on Harris.   Unless the situation changes he's not walking through that door, and it's not Danny's fault because the decision lies with Orlando. 

A situation like this is like a relationship - it takes two to tango.

« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2015, 11:57:15 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
As far as I can tell this team does not have cap space to even offer Tobias Harris a contract without first giving up an asset to dump wallace.  Can't see it happening.
if they stretch wallace wont that give them 7 mil in cap space ? then send AB that is 14 mil off the cap allowing us to offer a 12-14 mil contract for harris in a s+t for Bradley .

Bad move. Just send Wallace to the Magic and compensate them with the Minny 1st and the Philly 2nd if they demand it.

They aren't taking on Wallace's 10 mil in salary for just the minny pick, and the 2nd rd picks are worthless .
We would have to stretch Wallace and then send Turner, KO and Min pick to try and get it done if we are keeping Bradley .

PG: Smart            / IT
SG: Bradley         / Young
SF: Crowder        / Jerebko
PF: Harris           / Sully
 C: Amir            / Zeller

« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2015, 11:57:58 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Good post. Depressing of course, but still good. Thanks for explaining the brutal truth.  Tp.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2015, 12:16:55 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
As far as I can tell this team does not have cap space to even offer Tobias Harris a contract without first giving up an asset to dump wallace.  Can't see it happening.

I've debunked this notion of yours multiple times, not sure why you keep repeating it. Doesn't make it any less inaccurate.

« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2015, 12:25:01 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Teams aren't gonna offer until UFA options are exhausted most likely

« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2015, 12:29:56 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Tobias Harris is a good small forward. But Ainge knows they're many elite small forwards in this coming draft. Look for him to clear roster for prospects, picks, and unwanted contracts.

« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2015, 12:34:16 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If this is true, it's not looking good for Boston:
http://www.celticsblog.com/2015/7/2/8882315/update-bulpett-celtics-pull-out-of-tobias-harris-sweepstakes
that was last night when he was going after a near max, now they are saying he could take a 1 or 2 year deal, big difference

Did you actually read the link?

The Celts had a certain financial parameter in mind for Harris, and when it became clear that Orlando was willing to pay big to match any offer for the restricted free agent, they were out of the running.

but if he is only going to take a one year deal that should tell orlando he doesn't want to sign there long term and they should get some assets before he just plays out the year and leaves next year.....

Why? 

If Orlando do a sign and trade, then they ahve to live by his rules, and they have to trade him where he wants to go, and they have to take whatever garbage assets that destination team is willing to give them.

The could just sign him to the Qualifying offer, wait till his trade restriction wears off (I think it's usually 100 days or something) and then they have freedom to trade him to whatever team is willing to offer them the best value.

why would another team give them good value in a trade when they know that they aren't the team he wanted to go to and  he is going to be a free agent next year?  They likely won't get a much better offer than Bradley and a Pick or KO . Plus if they have him on the roster at the start of next year you have a disgruntled player taking mins away from your last two top 5 picks .

Because not every team has cap space to sign a max free agents, and Harris after next year would likely want a max contract which (by that time) would be massive

The Qualifying offer is small - a team can trade for him, have him on a small contract as a trial run, and if they like him they can extend him.

Otherwise they wait until he hits free agency and then have to commit a massive contract to him for the next 4 years.

Also because chances are there is going to be SOMEBODY willing to trade for him...so if you are the team looking to get him, you have to gamble.  If another team trades for him, may he fits well there and decides to sign an extension after the year is up..and you've missed out.

Many reasons.

Orlando would have to be idiots to do a S&T now - the value they would get in return would be an all time low.  At least next year they will have SOME competition of teams trying to get him...not they would be at the complete mercy of one team.

If a player signs his qualifying offer, he can't be traded without his consent and the team acquiring him loses his Bird rights.  So, any team he was willing to be traded to can't sign him to a max contract without cap space next summer and can't extend him.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2015, 12:36:34 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Tobias Harris is a good small forward. But Ainge knows they're many elite small forwards in this coming draft. Look for him to clear roster for prospects, picks, and unwanted contracts.

Just like this draft was rich with big men, which center did we get again?  Oh wait, we went with a point guard.

I apologize for my negativity but I am so let down by the Celtics this offseason, something big needs to be happening soon.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2015, 12:37:58 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'd give them ET and either Sully or KO whichever they prefer, throw in some picks we don't need those players or all those picks.

« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2015, 12:41:08 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Just like this draft was rich with big men, which center did we get again?  Oh wait, we went with a point guard.

I apologize for my negativity but I am so let down by the Celtics this offseason, something big needs to be happening soon.

The only bigs in this draft with star potential went top 3.  I don't think anybody past Okafor and Towns showed potential to be a star PF/C. 

Many wings in the top 10 with some star potential though.

We drafted at #16, which was the best position we could get without making moves that would have required sacrifices too great to make it worthwhile.

At #16 we took a guy who has just as much (if not more) upside any anybody else availalble at the time.

The belief that we had a chance at making a run at a star big man in year's draft is nothing but smoke and mirrors.

« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2015, 12:41:25 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
If this is true, it's not looking good for Boston:
http://www.celticsblog.com/2015/7/2/8882315/update-bulpett-celtics-pull-out-of-tobias-harris-sweepstakes
that was last night when he was going after a near max, now they are saying he could take a 1 or 2 year deal, big difference

Did you actually read the link?

The Celts had a certain financial parameter in mind for Harris, and when it became clear that Orlando was willing to pay big to match any offer for the restricted free agent, they were out of the running.

but if he is only going to take a one year deal that should tell orlando he doesn't want to sign there long term and they should get some assets before he just plays out the year and leaves next year.....

Why? 

If Orlando do a sign and trade, then they ahve to live by his rules, and they have to trade him where he wants to go, and they have to take whatever garbage assets that destination team is willing to give them.

The could just sign him to the Qualifying offer, wait till his trade restriction wears off (I think it's usually 100 days or something) and then they have freedom to trade him to whatever team is willing to offer them the best value.

why would another team give them good value in a trade when they know that they aren't the team he wanted to go to and  he is going to be a free agent next year?  They likely won't get a much better offer than Bradley and a Pick or KO . Plus if they have him on the roster at the start of next year you have a disgruntled player taking mins away from your last two top 5 picks .

Because not every team has cap space to sign a max free agents, and Harris after next year would likely want a max contract which (by that time) would be massive

The Qualifying offer is small - a team can trade for him, have him on a small contract as a trial run, and if they like him they can extend him.

Otherwise they wait until he hits free agency and then have to commit a massive contract to him for the next 4 years.

Also because chances are there is going to be SOMEBODY willing to trade for him...so if you are the team looking to get him, you have to gamble.  If another team trades for him, may he fits well there and decides to sign an extension after the year is up..and you've missed out.

Many reasons.

Orlando would have to be idiots to do a S&T now - the value they would get in return would be an all time low.  At least next year they will have SOME competition of teams trying to get him...not they would be at the complete mercy of one team.

If a player signs his qualifying offer, he can't be traded without his consent and the team acquiring him loses his Bird rights.  So, any team he was willing to be traded to can't sign him to a max contract without cap space next summer and can't extend him.

Correct. That said, everyone will have cap space (pretty much), so it might end up being irrelevant for all intents and purposes.