Author Topic: Tobias harris ready to sign with team?  (Read 12159 times)

Re: Tobias harris ready to sign with team?
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2015, 09:47:04 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
If this is true, it's not looking good for Boston:
http://www.celticsblog.com/2015/7/2/8882315/update-bulpett-celtics-pull-out-of-tobias-harris-sweepstakes
that was last night when he was going after a near max, now they are saying he could take a 1 or 2 year deal, big difference

Did you actually read the link?

The Celts had a certain financial parameter in mind for Harris, and when it became clear that Orlando was willing to pay big to match any offer for the restricted free agent, they were out of the running.

but if he is only going to take a one year deal that should tell orlando he doesn't want to sign there long term and they should get some assets before he just plays out the year and leaves next year.....

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2015, 09:51:42 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
By the way, where are you reading this report at? I can't find it anywhere.

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2015, 09:52:04 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
http://www.celticsblog.com/2015/7/2/8882315/update-bulpett-celtics-pull-out-of-tobias-harris-sweepstakes
that was last night when he was going after a near max, now they are saying he could take a 1 or 2 year deal, big difference

The Celts had a certain financial parameter in mind for Harris, and when it became clear that Orlando was willing to pay big to match any offer for the restricted free agent, they were out of the running.

but if he is only going to take a one year deal that should tell orlando he doesn't want to sign there long term and they should get some assets before he just plays out the year and leaves next year.....

Why? 

If Orlando do a sign and trade, then they ahve to live by his rules, and they have to trade him where he wants to go, and they have to take whatever garbage assets that destination team is willing to give them.

The could just sign him to the Qualifying offer, wait till his trade restriction wears off (I think it's usually 100 days or something) and then they have freedom to trade him to whatever team is willing to offer them the best value.

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2015, 09:52:23 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
If he returns to ORlando he will be splitting time with Mario and Gordon at the SF/PF spot . His stats aren't going to be any better next year than they were last year if he stays in Orlando. He is trying to force his way out of town so he can put up starter mins and numbers and get a pay day next year when the cap rises .

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2015, 09:56:35 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Why? 

If Orlando do a sign and trade, then they ahve to live by his rules, and they have to trade him where he wants to go, and they have to take whatever garbage assets that destination team is willing to give them.

The could just sign him to the Qualifying offer, wait till his trade restriction wears off (I think it's usually 100 days or something) and then they have freedom to trade him to whatever team is willing to offer them the best value.

why would another team give them good value in a trade when they know that they aren't the team he wanted to go to and  he is going to be a free agent next year?  They likely won't get a much better offer than Bradley and a Pick or KO . Plus if they have him on the roster at the start of next year you have a disgruntled player taking mins away from your last two top 5 picks .

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2015, 10:01:30 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Why? 

why would another team give them good value in a trade when they know that they aren't the team he wanted to go to and  he is going to be a free agent next year?  They likely won't get a much better offer than Bradley and a Pick or KO . Plus if they have him on the roster at the start of next year you have a disgruntled player taking mins away from your last two top 5 picks .

Because not every team has cap space to sign a max free agents, and Harris after next year would likely want a max contract which (by that time) would be massive

The Qualifying offer is small - a team can trade for him, have him on a small contract as a trial run, and if they like him they can extend him.

Otherwise they wait until he hits free agency and then have to commit a massive contract to him for the next 4 years.

Also because chances are there is going to be SOMEBODY willing to trade for him...so if you are the team looking to get him, you have to gamble.  If another team trades for him, may he fits well there and decides to sign an extension after the year is up..and you've missed out.

Many reasons.

Orlando would have to be idiots to do a S&T now - the value they would get in return would be an all time low.  At least next year they will have SOME competition of teams trying to get him...not they would be at the complete mercy of one team.

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2015, 10:11:37 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
Why we went after Amir Johnson and not this guy I've no idea. Johnson doesn't fill a need and this guy does. He's young, a proven scorer in the clutch and stands to grow a lot more.

He was a perfect fit in a year when we had cap space.

Johnson is a two way big who has been an efficient scorer, solid rebounder and capable shot blocker his entire career and who can also step out and hit the three.

How does that not fill a need?

Harris is a Small Forward who plays more like an undersized Power Forward who is an unproven outside shooter, an average scorer and has questionable defensive abilities.

How does that fill a need?

The only single thing that Harris offers that you could argue fills a need is that he can hit play SF and can shoot threes - but even that is questionable since he's been a terrible three point shooter every season of his career up until this season, and thus has shown no evidence that he can be a consistent outside threat.

There is only ONE thing that Harris really has going for him that makes him even CLOSE to justifiable for a big contract, and that is potential.  Potential which he (by definition) may or may not ever reach.

Now this is my 'opinion' so if you want to disagree that's fine, but just throwing another perspective out there.

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2015, 10:29:04 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
My god get this guy already.  I have no interest in watching this current team as is!  If Harris is willing to sign a smaller deal it may be him tipping his hand to Boston?

Exact opposite.  Orlando will match it automatically then....

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2015, 10:29:47 PM »

Offline mnshyn

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
  • Forever Green

Why? 

The trade restriction is actually one year. If they do trade him, it must be with his consent.
Play to win.  Always.

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2015, 10:40:54 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
As far as I can tell this team does not have cap space to even offer Tobias Harris a contract without first giving up an asset to dump wallace.  Can't see it happening.

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2015, 10:43:12 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
As far as I can tell this team does not have cap space to even offer Tobias Harris a contract without first giving up an asset to dump wallace.  Can't see it happening.
if they stretch wallace wont that give them 7 mil in cap space ? then send AB that is 14 mil off the cap allowing us to offer a 12-14 mil contract for harris in a s+t for Bradley .

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2015, 10:45:18 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
This is the guy I have been beating the table for since the All-Star break, after the draft and start of free agency I would be shocked if the Celtics were after him.  I think the Celts are pursuing trades and are not interested in a young stud in Harris.  I would prefer Harris tied up long term max deal then a one or two year deal, I have no idea why the Celtics did not offer him a max.  I'm disappointed in the Celtics so far this offseason. 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2015, 10:47:07 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Stretch Wallace?

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2015, 10:55:07 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
if they stretch wallace wont that give them 7 mil in cap space ? then send AB that is 14 mil off the cap allowing us to offer a 12-14 mil contract for harris in a s+t for Bradley .

Bad move. Just send Wallace to the Magic and compensate them with the Minny 1st and the Philly 2nd if they demand it.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2015, 10:55:54 PM »

Online byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
As I understand it, we can officially sign Crowder and Jerebko last, and go over the cap to do so. If we wanted Harris we would sign him first, possibly clearing just a couple million in a S&T. Then go over the cap to bring back Crowder and Jerebko.