Author Topic: Amir Johnson predictions  (Read 4573 times)

Re: Amir Johnson predictions
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 08:58:32 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I keep reading he's 6'9" 220 lbs. I'm baffled to how that makes him a center other than playing small ball? A real center will toss him around like a little ****!

I predict he will do what hes done his whole career: 20 mpg, 7 points, 6 rebounds, 1 block. That's what our highest paid player will give us. Not sure why anyone would think he's going to be an all-star or put up monster numbers and he is without question not the savior.
we already know CBS doesnt play people in the traditional c/pf/sf/sg/pg model. he likes people to switch and form combinations. i really think we need to change how we talk about the celtics on court to keep up with CBS's changes.

e.g. having johnson and crowder and olly on the floor will produce one set of dynamics on offense and defense. johnson will not be alone, standing on the floor as a center. let's not consider his contribution that way.

using zeller, olly, and sully as bigs, CBS actually had the celtics team defense in the middle of the nba pack on many categories by the end of the season. by the end, they were improving on defense as a team. NONE of those three are as good a defender as johnson. so adding him to the CBS mix should help the celtics.

p.s. johnson weight more tha 220. and he was not tossed around like a doll, so...let's revise our expectations and thinking.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 09:04:56 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I keep reading he's 6'9" 220 lbs. I'm baffled to how that makes him a center other than playing small ball? A real center will toss him around like a little ****!

I keep reading that he was 6'9" coming out of high school and has grown 1-2 inches and put on weight since then.  Kevin Garnett is listed at 220 and he definitely added bulk since he was a rookie.  The Greek Freak was listed at 6'9" and under 200 pounds when drafted and now he is 6'11" and 220.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 09:05:27 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I'm waiting for the evidence that he would get tossed around by big Cs. I see people keep saying it, how about proving it, show me something to back it up.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2015, 09:29:08 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Amir Johnson allows us to move Sullinger or KO and move on from Bass.  He's also a superior defender to all three of those guys.  Could we use a Nerlen Noels trade?  Sure, that would be great, if the Sixers fall in love with Okafor, Noel might become available for say Smart + Sullinger and a 1st round pick.

Smart (#6)  & Sullinger (if healthy when drafted would have been lottery pick) & a 1st rnd pick for a #6 pick.  Can I have whatever you are smoking.

Sullinger was "healthy" during the time he was drafted.

He fell because you cant hide degenerative back issues or legs that aren't the same length.

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2015, 09:31:16 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Amir Johnson allows us to move Sullinger or KO and move on from Bass.  He's also a superior defender to all three of those guys.  Could we use a Nerlen Noels trade?  Sure, that would be great, if the Sixers fall in love with Okafor, Noel might become available for say Smart + Sullinger and a 1st round pick.

Smart (#6)  & Sullinger (if healthy when drafted would have been lottery pick) & a 1st rnd pick for a #6 pick.  Can I have whatever you are smoking.

He fell because you cant hide degenerative back issues or legs that agent the same length.

I never heard anything about "degenerative" back issues. They were worried about the disc if I remember and had the surgery after the Celts took a shot on him and he has been a fantastic pick up at the position he was drafted. They said if he didn't have the back issue that GMs were worried about he would easily have been a lottery pick.

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2015, 09:39:05 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

The Sullinger logic has to go two ways: had Nerlens been healthy he would've been the #1 overall selection.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2015, 09:40:34 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

The Sullinger logic has to go two ways: had Nerlens been healthy he would've been the #1 overall selection.

Probably true but not 3 for 1 - I wouldn't do it.

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 09:46:01 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

I predict he will do what hes done his whole career: 20 mpg, 7 points, 6 rebounds, 1 block. That's what our highest paid player will give us. Not sure why anyone would think he's going to be an all-star or put up monster numbers and he is without question not the savior.
we already know CBS doesnt play people in the traditional c/pf/sf/sg/pg model. he likes people to switch and form combinations. i really think we need to change how we talk about the celtics on court to keep up with CBS's changes.

e.g. having johnson and crowder and olly on the floor will produce one set of dynamics on offense and defense. johnson will not be alone, standing on the floor as a center. let's not consider his contribution that way.

using zeller, olly, and sully as bigs, CBS actually had the celtics team defense in the middle of the nba pack on many categories by the end of the season. by the end, they were improving on defense as a team. NONE of those three are as good a defender as johnson. so adding him to the CBS mix should help the celtics.

p.s. johnson weight more tha 220. and he was not tossed around like a doll, so...let's revise our expectations and thinking.

Any idea how much he weighs now?

Regardless if he gets tossed around or not ( I know the league has gotten brutally soft so weaker players can stand a chance). The numbers I predicted wont change, why would you think he will different than he has for 10 years?

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2015, 03:01:10 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

He fell because you cant hide degenerative back issues or legs that agent the same length.

I never heard anything about "degenerative" back issues. They were worried about the disc if I remember and had the surgery after the Celts took a shot on him and he has been a fantastic pick up at the position he was drafted. They said if he didn't have the back issue that GMs were worried about he would easily have been a lottery pick.

Degenerative was not the right word choice but I'll stand by the different leg lengths. It's considered by certain members of the medical community as one of the main causes of Greg Oden's main causes of his injuries. Every step put's uneven strain on the lower back which is a ticking time bomb for serious injuries to develop. As someone mentioned earlier he seems to get injured at inopportune times.

Sullinger may have outperformed his draft position but what good is it if his body breaks down every time the playoffs roll around? All you've got is the most talented player riding the pine.

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2015, 03:51:21 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
Check out the goodbye article for Amir:
http://www.raptorshq.com/2015/7/2/8886117/toronto-raptors-goodbye-amir-johnson

I did not want him for the fit he is with the team, but I am sure I will root like crazy when he is in the game. The only hope I have is that he is healthy. Those ankles are quite bothering.

On his height, he used to be 6'9 out of high school. By the time he reached Toronto, he was already in the 6'11/240 range by all accounts (Hollinger even had him at 7f in one article). If his ankles were healthy, I would have loved it.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2015, 05:48:43 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Johnson's contract indicates he's a trade chip not part of our future.  I'd expect him to be traded probably by the deadline.  Maybe the Cousins/Karl situation will have blown up by then. 

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2015, 05:59:04 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
 I predict another awesome block like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-Ln8gjRIPM

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2015, 06:47:47 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
About even with Bass.  Should have just signed Bass.

Spot on. Worst off season ever. I love the delusional c's fans that say "But the contract has flexibility that other teams desire," yeah, like expiring contracts with easy buyouts clauses (or whatever his second year means to other teams) is getting you the theoretical disgruntled vet to come here via trade. If a big name player becomes available all of the sudden, many other teams can out-bid us as we've seen in the past, so you can forget that lie we've been fed. The combination of Danny's Jeff Green trade that cost us a championship, and greedy ownership's desire to make the playoffs have set us on a course for not only no championships and the perpetual treadmill of mediocrity, but honesty, I don't even think we're making the playoffs next year with a healthy MIA and IND. Hello coveted #9 seed that we offered SIX picks for from our "treasure trove" and got shot down. At least we can achieve that in a weaker draft class, right?
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2015, 07:51:04 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Check out the goodbye article for Amir:
http://www.raptorshq.com/2015/7/2/8886117/toronto-raptors-goodbye-amir-johnson

I did not want him for the fit he is with the team, but I am sure I will root like crazy when he is in the game. The only hope I have is that he is healthy. Those ankles are quite bothering.

On his height, he used to be 6'9 out of high school. By the time he reached Toronto, he was already in the 6'11/240 range by all accounts (Hollinger even had him at 7f in one article). If his ankles were healthy, I would have loved it.

Makes me feel a little better.

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2015, 08:36:06 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
FYI reading on WEEI.com CBS has Amir as a "swing" player not a big, his bigs are Zeller, Sully and KO (frightening huh?)

That has to be the worse group of "bigs" in the league.