Author Topic: The new tough Boston Celtics  (Read 3430 times)

The new tough Boston Celtics
« on: July 02, 2015, 05:45:26 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
WALTHAM, Mass. -- On the eve of free agency, and just a short while after introducing a 2015 draft class headlined by spunky guard Terry Rozier, Boston Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge was asked whether he preferred to target tough and gritty players.

"I love tough, gritty players," admitted Ainge. "I don’t know who doesn’t."

Ainge quickly noted that grit alone was not enough to justify falling in love with a player. But a quick examination of Boston's current roster seems to suggest a pattern whereby the Celtics appear to be placing a high value on hard-nosed, blue-collar players, the sort that tend to make up for any lack of pure talent with energy, grit and determination.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4719733/embracing-the-gritty-celtics

Re: The new tough Boston Celtics
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 05:47:53 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
Ainge, Stevens and the rest of the front office are definitely building a culture with this current nucleus. Tough, gritty, hard-nosed players that excel on the defensive side of the ball.  It's a good recipe, just missing that superstar player to put them over the top.

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 05:51:50 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I like what someone said in the Amir thread; that Brad and Ainge are building an NBA version of a mid-major. 

FWIW, I love how DA is working so closely with Brad.  They clearly have a certain prototype in mind and very much value substance over style. 

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 05:57:30 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Question :

Can we beat the Cavs ?

If. ....the answer is NO

Then why ain't we tanking

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 06:13:37 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
Question :

Can we beat the Cavs ?

If. ....the answer is NO

I wanted a top pick last year and rooted strongly against a playoff run.   But things are what they are.   The reason the C's aren't tanking is because they now have 11 guys under 25 who are rotation or better NBA players.  Many if not most of them will improve with court time and the result will be increased trade value.  This is the approach I think the C's are taking and I believe they believe it will play better than tanking.  They'll have trade and cap flexibility -- and maybe some draft payoff from the Nets.  It may not be your preferable road, but there is decent rationale to support it.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 06:22:33 PM by Neurotic Guy »

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 06:14:52 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I like what someone said in the Amir thread; that Brad and Ainge are building an NBA version of a mid-major. 

FWIW, I love how DA is working so closely with Brad.  They clearly have a certain prototype in mind and very much value substance over style.

I'm thinking of the old Detroit Pistons.

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 06:17:07 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
This is what I've been saying for a long time.   Danny knows what he is doing.  I love it too because the NBA has become such a fair weather game in ways.  Having a team that goes against the grain is going to pay dividends ultimately.

Tommy Heinsohn isn't getting any younger and he's been preaching this stuff for a long time. Just in Stevens mold.  But I expect a lot of Tommy Points.

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 06:18:55 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Probably be easier if we had two Hall of Fame caliber players.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 06:26:35 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Question :

Can we beat the Cavs ?

If. ....the answer is NO

If we were tanking you'd be asking why are we so bad.

If we try and win, you ask, why aren't we tanking. 

I guess being a patient through a rebuild is out of the question. 

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 06:38:48 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
This is what I've been saying for a long time.   Danny knows what he is doing.  I love it too because the NBA has become such a fair weather game in ways.  Having a team that goes against the grain is going to pay dividends ultimately.

Tommy Heinsohn isn't getting any younger and he's been preaching this stuff for a long time. Just in Stevens mold.  But I expect a lot of Tommy Points.

Stars when championships. It's a nice story but how many players on the roster will be on the team within 3-5 years? I wouldn't get too attached to anyone on the roster when trader Danny is the GM.

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 06:48:13 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Yep, like I said in another thread, the only player that doesn't fit the description of a hard worker and players who give effort is Sully, he's been put on notice and he was here b4 CBS (too good to just discard). Young was in that camp but they say he isn't anymore. If you're not working, you need to retire after you get your rookie check, give me Press as a starter over a lazy bum.

Now, all of our guys are tough but some are more grity than others. I love a tough player, the hustling and hardworking type. That's why Jae was a favorite last season. I can see Rozier and Amir becoming faves too.

Yes, we need top level talent but I'm going to enjoy watching the guys we have!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 06:48:48 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
10 26 vs Playoff Teams (5 wins end of April discounted since Clev Tor Mil mailed it in) and most think this Team will improve?

Your all nuts!

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 07:13:24 PM »

Offline fandrew

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 25
10 26 vs Playoff Teams (5 wins end of April discounted since Clev Tor Mil mailed it in) and most think this Team will improve?

Your all nuts!

"You're all nuts."

And how many of those wins came in the second half of the season? This team this year will be the ultimate bottom feeder, while taking a lot of good teams down to the wire.

Not a championship team, but better than last year. Improvements every year is all we can do. Tanking is pointless for us at this point.
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care." - Peter Gibbons

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 07:20:04 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17

Your all nuts!
Milwaukee played their starters, we played our bench and won.

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 08:03:01 PM »

Online Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151
Question :

Can we beat the Cavs ?

If. ....the answer is NO

The Warriors were able to beat them with three of their stars out.  We should able to able beat them with 4 out.  ;D