Author Topic: Monta Ellis agrees to four-year, $44M deal with the Indiana Pacers  (Read 2078 times)

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Chris Broussard @Chris_Broussard
Sources: Monta Ellis agrees to 4-year deal with Indiana

Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine
ESPN sources say Monta Ellis and Indiana Pacers have agreed on a four-year, $44 million with an option to return to free agency after Year 3
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 01:36:50 PM by BudweiserCeltic »

Re: Monta Ellis agrees to 4-year, $44M deal with the Indiana Pacers
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 01:15:32 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Ken Berger @KBergCBS
Ellis, who dined with Indiana contingent led by Larry Bird last night, can opt out after the third season, source says.

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 01:16:56 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2405
Good move for Indiana. That is what they needed out on the perimeter alongside Paul George. A second guy who can really create off the dribble. Both for himself and for others. Either a PG ora SG. Monta Ellis fixes that.

I wish Indiana was keeping Roy Hibbert & David West together for one last run though. I'd feel good about that team's chances of making a long playoff run. I am a bit skeptical about them creating a run and gun team without the bigs necessary to operating such a system.

Still, this Monta Ellis signing and the return of Paul George should send Indiana back into the playoffs next year.

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 01:21:31 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Good move for Indiana. That is what they needed out on the perimeter alongside Paul George. A second guy who can really create off the dribble. Both for himself and for others. Either a PG ora SG. Monta Ellis fixes that.

I wish Indiana was keeping Roy Hibbert & David West together for one last run though. I'd feel good about that team's chances of making a long playoff run. I am a bit skeptical about them creating a run and gun team without the bigs necessary to operating such a system.

Still, this Monta Ellis signing and the return of Paul George should send Indiana back into the playoffs next year.

I wonder if West feels different now about returning with this addition. I seems like the market is drying up for him, unless he's willing to take a significant pay-cut as he says he's willing...

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 01:24:03 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Really like this signing by the Pacers
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 01:30:33 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Their back court could be good with a 3 guard lineup of Ellis, Hill and George but honestly who is playing in their front court.

Myles Turner isn't ready. Chris Copeland and Luis Scola are not very good defenders. Is Ian Mahinmi starting for them after never playingm ore than 18.8 minutes a game?

People want to anoint them a top half team in the east but, beside George they don't really have any plus defenders, very little depth and no big men.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 01:33:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Ellis is bad news. I don't get the love for this guy.   

Re: Monta Ellis agrees to four-year, $44M deal with the Indiana Pacers
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 01:40:10 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I guess this means the Kings will end up with Rondo now. Ellis wouldn't have been a good fit there anyway, I wonder why they were even after him.

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 01:44:53 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Their back court could be good with a 3 guard lineup of Ellis, Hill and George but honestly who is playing in their front court.

Myles Turner isn't ready. Chris Copeland and Luis Scola are not very good defenders. Is Ian Mahinmi starting for them after never playingm ore than 18.8 minutes a game?

People want to anoint them a top half team in the east but, beside George they don't really have any plus defenders, very little depth and no big men.

George Hill is a solid defensive PG, between him and Paul they should easily cover up Monta's defensive shortcomings. Offensively, they desperately needed another guy that can create his own shot. Monta can be inefficient sometimes, but they guy can score in bunches and get out in transition. They definitely need to find a stretch 4 though, not sure who may be available.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 02:30:18 PM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 01:50:20 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
I think Ellis is a problematic player for a number of reasons, but he is very talented, and this is a very affordable deal to land him on. Also, yeah, another team that should easily leapfrog the Nets into the playoffs this coming season.

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 02:11:36 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Does anyone know if they renounced their bird rights on David West in order to make this deal?  Meaning in order to bring West back, would they need to fit him under the cap?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 02:23:18 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Does anyone know if they renounced their bird rights on David West in order to make this deal?  Meaning in order to bring West back, would they need to fit him under the cap?

Because it's the moratorium period, the deal isn't official, so they haven't yet had to renounce.  Barring any trade to create room, however, they will have to renounce to sign Ellis as of July 9th or so.

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 02:29:33 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Rondo

To

Chinese People's Republic

;D

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 03:28:33 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I wonder if this will turn into a sign and trade, with Hibbert to Dallas.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 03:30:49 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I wonder if this will turn into a sign and trade, with Hibbert to Dallas.

Yep, that's my feeling on this case also. I think the domino will be what happens with Jordan.