Author Topic: Smart is going to have a huge year  (Read 5463 times)

Re: Smart is going to have a huge year
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2015, 12:29:08 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
A huge year from Smart is coming.  Not sure which year exactly...if not this year then I'd say definitely the year after.  I think he's way ahead of the schedule Billups was on.  One difference is you can already play Smart big minutes due to his defense.  Another is that Billups had to make it as a PG.  Smart can make it as a PG or SG.  Doesn't matter much, especially considering Brad's system.

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2015, 12:32:56 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I just want to see Smart drive into the paint more often. He does that and I will be delighted with his progress next year.

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2015, 12:33:47 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
ref's let a rookie play that kind of d -tells you something-he is a chosen one and they are branding marcus smart-

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2015, 12:36:09 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I just want to see Smart drive into the paint more often. He does that and I will be delighted with his progress next year.

Agreed. He began doing it more towards the end of the season, but not as often as I want to see it.

It's been more about trying to than just failing, so that's a bit encouraging.

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2015, 12:41:47 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I think a lot of people don't realize or forgot that Smart played injured for most of last season. He sprained his ankle early on and it lingered all season, slowing him down and limiting his ability to drive. He admitted all of this after the season. He kept it quiet because he didn't want to sit out. A healthy Smart is going to surprise a lot of people and is going to get to he ft line a heck of a lot.

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2015, 12:47:02 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I think a lot of people don't realize or forgot that Smart played injured for most of last season. He sprained his ankle early on and it lingered all season, slowing him down and limiting his ability to drive. He admitted all of this after the season. He kept it quiet because he didn't want to sit out. A healthy Smart is going to surprise a lot of people and is going to get to he ft line a heck of a lot.

All the observations about Smart's lack of penetration began prior to being injured. That he didn't progress quicker during the season, that's another thing.

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2015, 12:50:21 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
There's plenty of reason for optimism. He has a good chance of improving his shooting from 3 which was already OK. He was never 100% physically last year and may be more explosive going to the hoop when fully healthy. And, it's reasonable to think the game will slow down for him and he'll be a better playmaker...that happens for many guys at his age.

If he does all these things he'll be one of the better young guards in the game, considering his elite defense. And, all of these things are part of the normal progression for young players...it's not like the "maybe Jeff Green will start to consistently score like a #1 offensive option" discussions from a few years back, where people were hoping a guy would totally change his DNA as a player, at age 26.

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2015, 12:51:51 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I don't buy the smart injury excuse. He wasn't penatrating in summer league either. He couldn't use his size the same way.  He's just a weak offensive player.  He can improve though.

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2015, 01:01:42 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'd be happy with him just having a better year.  huge would be swell but I'm trying to be realistic.

Why is Smart getting but not realistic? No one is saying he's going to put up 20ppg and 10spg.

First year player and hurt half the season, improved his jump shot over the first half of the year.

Gets a summer to work and not have to worry about learning a new system. No reason the kid can't get 12 and 5.
12/5 is what I would consider a reasonable improvement.  I wouldn't consider it huge which is what I was addressing.

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2015, 01:05:08 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
Smart will have another solid year in his sophomore season. I expect he will continue to improve his 3 point shooting and overall offensive game. His defensive abilities are already stellar.

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2015, 01:05:28 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
he learned a change of pace in the paint,
 didn't rush his shot the game slowed down for him
he was a rookie thrown into  a chaotic early season with rondo still in charge-a continual merry go round ruing any consistency ,his numbers got skewed because with clock running down they gave the ball to marcus-nice kelly even jerebko had a slow release and new-

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2015, 02:03:47 PM »

Offline Mass_1081

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
  It all depends on Stevens. Last year there were twenty other rookies with higher usg % than Smart, that's horrible for the sixth pick overall. smart was just phased out of a lot of the offense, I could remember wondering why Turner or Bradley would never pass him the ball. I'm really fearful that Stevens will let Turner run the offense once again this season. They should have just given Smart the keys, let him make his mistakes, and collected a lottery pick this season. Instead, Smarts value as a asset took a plunge and Turner running the point did nothing for his value as a player. It was frustrating to watch last season.

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2015, 02:08:02 PM »

Offline Mass_1081

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
I'd be happy with him just having a better year.  huge would be swell but I'm trying to be realistic.

Why is Smart getting but not realistic? No one is saying he's going to put up 20ppg and 10spg.

First year player and hurt half the season, improved his jump shot over the first half of the year.

Gets a summer to work and not have to worry about learning a new system. No reason the kid can't get 12 and 5.
12/5 is what I would consider a reasonable improvement.  I wouldn't consider it huge which is what I was addressing.

Five assists? Honestly, i have no clue what his role will be this year with what Danny has added to this team. When they drafted him I thought 15/5 by the time he turned 25 with his defense would justify the sixth pick in the draft.

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2015, 02:11:54 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Five assists? Honestly, i have no clue what his role will be this year with what Danny has added to this team. When they drafted him I thought 15/5 by the time he turned 25 with his defense would justify the sixth pick in the draft.

12/5 would be currently at age 21...so if his improvement continues, he'll probably will hit that stat like you said by 25

one could hope that is really the case though. It's a graet thing that his defense is already elite. So he has one less than to worry about.

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2015, 03:00:33 PM »

Offline shrinkage36

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
  It all depends on Stevens. Last year there were twenty other rookies with higher usg % than Smart, that's horrible for the sixth pick overall. smart was just phased out of a lot of the offense, I could remember wondering why Turner or Bradley would never pass him the ball. I'm really fearful that Stevens will let Turner run the offense once again this season. They should have just given Smart the keys, let him make his mistakes, and collected a lottery pick this season. Instead, Smarts value as a asset took a plunge and Turner running the point did nothing for his value as a player. It was frustrating to watch last season.
Bingo.

Someone gets it. He averaged around 17pts per game in College, because the offense was centered around him, yet was still a dominant defensive force. If his 3-point per goes up, no telling what he can do.

But you have to run the offense through Smart.