Author Topic: Why FAs are skipping LA/NY. Is it encouraging?  (Read 2144 times)

Why FAs are skipping LA/NY. Is it encouraging?
« on: July 02, 2015, 11:11:42 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
Quick question. Why do we think people are skipping playing for the Knicks and Lakers? Is it the presence of Kobe and Carmelo or is it the absence of young promising stars? Can we draw any encouragement from these situations and apply it to the Nets picks? The cap rising is a concern in case they could make any additions through free agency, but maybe their situation is more dire.

A thought I had while looking for a shining ray of hope.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

Re: Why FAs are skipping LA/NY. Is it encouraging?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 11:12:42 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Rosters are terrible.

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 11:13:39 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Yea, I think a lot of players wont play with Kobe
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 11:20:57 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
I was happy about LMA not being impressed by the Lakers, then I realized the Knicks haven't picked anybody up either besides Afflalo.

I can only imagine what their boards look like  :'(
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 11:21:15 AM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
Their rosters are terrible, and apparently have no clear vision of the future in regards of actual basketball. I mean, the Lakers selling LA on movie roles, brand marketing to a player who has never made it sound like he cared about that stuff one bit is just so the Lakers.

I don't know how ecouraging it is for the Celtics though. We have a good, smart head coach with decent players who just made it to the playoffs with cap money to spend and couldn't even get visits with these guys. Greg Monroe, who seemed awfully obtainable just chose the Milwaukee Bucks without even giving us a visit (atleast, haven't heard of one yet.)

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 11:22:06 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 11:22:21 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Free Agents are showing more intelligence than in the past.  Demonstrating they appreciate the need for a decent infrastructure to be in place in order for the team to win.

Still, make no mistake, free agents want to play with other good players.  It's not enough to have a respectable team with a ready-made supporting cast of role players.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 11:26:23 AM »

Offline TheSlipperyWhistle

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
Rosters

NYK: Aging Superstar, Prospect, Questionable Euro
Lakers: Aging Superstar, Prospect, Promising Rookie
Celtics: RPer, RPer, RPer, RPer, Prospect, RPer.

This is why no one wants to go to any of these destinations. Younger stars want to win, they are less enamored with bright lights than previous generations it seems. Aldridge is going to San Antonio. The Mecca of basketball fundamentals and not much else.

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 11:26:42 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
carmelo and Kobe.  Both are injury prone

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 11:27:27 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
I don't know how ecouraging it is for the Celtics though. We have a good, smart head coach with decent players who just made it to the playoffs with cap money to spend and couldn't even get visits with these guys. Greg Monroe, who seemed awfully obtainable just chose the Milwaukee Bucks without even giving us a visit (atleast, haven't heard of one yet.)

Oh I am at a zero in thinking that the Cs will sign a free agent. I'm thinking encouragement in relation to the Nets picks. I saw the Nets future cap space being a little dicey in case they could fit in an impact player. But now, I can't imagine their pitches being any better than the Knicks and the Lakers and I am a bit more encouraged.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 11:30:40 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Yup, the teams that tried to bottom out, and even teams that are still decent but clearly falling off like Dallas are having a terrible time of it.  Established teams like SA and Cleveland are keeping/adding established stars, and up-and-coming teams are drawing up-and-coming FAs.  There's a lesson in there for us I think.

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 11:48:22 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
encouraging in the sense that it backs up the argument of some (including myself) that FA's want to go to a winning organization/culture and poops on the argument of others that FAs are more infatuated with nightlife and taxes.

also, if Durant and Westbrook can get national endorsements working in the no-man's-land of OKC (not to mention Bron in Cleveland and Love when he was in Minny), players are seeing that they can get endorsements playing anywhere.

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 11:57:53 AM »

Offline TheSlipperyWhistle

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
We stopped bothering with Monroe because we weren't going to pay him the max. And thank god for that. I like Monroe, but I don't want to pay a 2nd tier guy max money. Just like I don't want to pay Tobias Harris Max (or close to it) money. Once the offers come down to earth, Ainge may strike again with whatever FA's over-valued themselves.

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 12:04:04 PM »

Offline kheldar52077

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
Both have primadonna players ;D