Author Topic: Post Your Favorite "Clearing up the roster" Trade  (Read 5767 times)

Re: Post Your Favorite "Clearing up the roster" Trade
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 01:00:17 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
I think we should also be asking, who do we want to be traded from the team's lineup?

Just following up on a post I saw here, Gallo and Faried could be good additions. Also liking Markief Morris who's getting about $8M per year if he's available.

Speculating or more like fantasizing:

Trade 1: Gallinari and Lawson for Wallace, Bradley and Sullinger
Trade 2: Morris for Turner, Olynyk and Young

Result:

G - Lawson / IT4 / Rozier
G - Smart / RJ Hunter
F - Gallinari / Crowder
F - Morris / Jerebko / Mickey
C - Johnson / Zeller

I don't think people are being cute when they say you have to trade for both Morris' to get one.

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 01:02:52 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Sullinger + Wallace for Roy Hibbert

Roy's expiring deal fits in with our "add younger veterans on expiring deals" thing we've got going so far.  Roy and Amir in the frontcourt could make the Celts a top 10 defensive team. 

Roy Hibbert + Amir Johnson = top 3 defense in league

Smart + Bradley + Crowder + Amir + Hibbert

That lineup could wreck teams on the defensive end.

Could also fail to score a single point, but hey you can't have your cake.

I like the abbreviated version of that saying in this case. Like--- nope, no cake. No one is even talking about eating some, too. There's just no cake. Sorry, sub-par basketball team, you can't have your cake.

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 01:09:46 PM »

Offline Soytiz

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
I think we should also be asking, who do we want to be traded from the team's lineup?

Just following up on a post I saw here, Gallo and Faried could be good additions. Also liking Markief Morris who's getting about $8M per year if he's available.

Speculating or more like fantasizing:

Trade 1: Gallinari and Lawson for Wallace, Bradley and Sullinger
Trade 2: Morris for Turner, Olynyk and Young

Result:

G - Lawson / IT4 / Rozier
G - Smart / RJ Hunter
F - Gallinari / Crowder
F - Morris / Jerebko / Mickey
C - Johnson / Zeller

I don't think people are being cute when they say you have to trade for both Morris' to get one.

Yep. Would also want him if possible. Played well towards the end of the season when the injury bug hit the Suns. Marcus Morris is making about $5M per season so I guess he's attainable. The Morris brothers seem to be having problems with the law lately with a recent Assault charge against them...

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2015, 01:21:11 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Sign and Trade: RJ Hunter, Olynyk/Sullinger, Wallace,  1 non-Brooklyn first for Tobias Harris signed at or close to max of about 15 mil.

Orlando gets 3 prospects for taking on one year of Wallace and not matching Harris.  We clear up roster log-jam and get a 2nd legit starter with Smart who still has upside at a deal that won't cripple flexibility moving forward.

I agree with this.  Sign and trade for Harris makes a lot of sense for both teams.  We need a starting caliber 3 and Orlando just drafted Hezonja.  Sully would help Orlando.  Frye is not the PF of their future.  Gordon is a 3/4 while Sully is a 4/5. 

Orlando could have a rotation of Payton, Oladipo, Hezonja, Sully, Vucevic.  There will be plenty of minutes for Gordon who can play the 3 or the 4 next to Sully or Vucevic.  I'd be more inclined to send Turner and a pair of 2nd rounders than Hunter and a first, but it's certainly negotiable.  Turner gives them a veteran presence who is a bit of a swiss army knife.  I would also substitute Olynyk for Sully if that is their preference.

We would be left with

Smart Rozier
IT Bradley Hunter
Harris Crowder Young
Olynyk Jerebko Mickey
Johnson Zeller

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2015, 01:36:30 PM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
Or a wild version of a post I made on another site (modified)

Sully, KO, Bradley, Wallace, Picks or TPE   Bledsoe/Len

Thins the ranks, gives us two decent centers...

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2015, 02:13:55 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Zeller and Wallace for a hibbert.

Turner and Bradley for Galo.

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2015, 02:49:15 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
The thing about our guard rotation right now is that AB being a natural 2 makes it difficult to play he and Thomas together.  For that reason, I'd like to see AB shipped out so we can play Smart full time and at the 2, allow Rozier & IT to man the point. 
Here's three scenarios for fun--

AB, KO, Turner & picks for Gordon Heyward

We clear up some log jams and land a starting SF.  We'd probably have to throw several firsts at Utah to get them to part with their best player, but I believe they've long coveted KO who would fit ideally alongside Gobert.  Also AB is an ideal 2 to go alongside their young points. 

C's clear up the guard logjam, as well as trimming down their army PF's.  I'm sure Brad would be thrilled to get his old Butler alum, Heyward, back. 

Thomas/ Rozier
Smart / Young
Heyward / Crowder
Sully / Jerebko
Amir / Zeller

-------------------------------------------------

AB, Zeller & a first for Jrue Holiday

The pel's need to get better and are struggling to get Evan and Holiday to co-exist, both really play the same role on offense.  This deal gets them another player in his prime (AB) who would work better with players like Gordan and Evan who prefer handling the ball.  Zeller also is a nice option for them, should they let Asik walk or they keep him and he gets hurt. 

C's launch a few bottle rockets by bringing in a legit starting one.  Open up more minutes for Amir and Sully at center. 

Holiday/ Thomas
Smart / Young
Crowder / Hunter
KO / Jerebko
Amir / Sully

------------------------------------------------

AB, Wallace, picks for Rudy Gay

Now that the Kings have given up on Stauskas, might be time to bring in a lock down defender to start at 2.  Rondo use to love playing with AB, so maybe this can be rekindled?  Guessing they'd want a couple firsts in the deal, which makes that weird Philly move more palatable in the long run.

Celts fire off a roman candle, bring Rudy into a role where expectations will soar to unreasonable levels.  But, it is a major talent upgrade for us and we could use the scoring at the SF spot.

Thomas/ Rozier
Smart / Young
Gay/ Crowder
KO / Jerebko
Amir / Sully

+ + +

Looking at all these lineups, I'd probably try and find a way to trade either Sully or KO.  Enough is enough, can't develop both. 

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 11:38:42 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Sullinger and Turner for Marvin Williams and a 2017 first round pick (Top 4 protected)

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2015, 09:52:03 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Sullinger and Turner for Marvin Williams and a 2017 first round pick (Top 4 protected)

What? Absurd.

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2015, 10:32:08 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If you wanted to hurt the team and have them fall back in the standings, I think Avery Bradley is the obvious target. Trade him out and force those too-young too-raw backup guards to replace his minutes.

Hard to do much else elsewhere.

Smart = long term core
Amir, Jerebko, Crowder = just signed
Sully = most talented big, possible core player
The rest are bit-part players.

Oh, Evan Turner. I keep forgetting about him. I was just writing about him too and still forgot about him. That is how forgettable he is to me. Just waive him. Let him find his own way. Not worth the trouble of looking for a trade destination for him. I don't think Ainge would get any more than Philly got when they traded Turner two years ago. A middling to late 2nd round pick.

I'd love to see Turner gone.  Don't think he fits what we're trying to build here.  He was a stop-gap for a year while the team was lacking competent ball-handlers.

Bradley is redundant, too, I believe.  Smart makes most sense to me as a secondary ball-handler at SG, and the rest of the guard rotation is packed with Isaiah Thomas as the team's best player and then a handful of young guys scrambling for playing time.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2015, 11:11:51 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Turner, Sully and Bradley are the guys I would like to see find a new home.   AB is a great defender and good shooter but rarely can he do both together.   I would like to keep him the most of this crew.   Turner, is fool's gold, all over the place in terms of performance.  Sully can't D and is unprofessional.  I honestly think we won more games, without him last year.   Some of that IT but some of it was Jerebko can spread the floor and stay in front of his man.  I wonder what these three and a draft pick or two could get us?

Wallace should be gone, but I think he is going to be expiring and used for cap space.

Reality ought to be settling in for folks.   This is not a hot choice for free agents, even when you have the money.  We are so well regarded that we could not even get meetings with people.  Trades and the draft have always been our way, Boston's weather is poor and this winter was nasty.

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2015, 11:20:05 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Best thing is getting rid of Danny Ainge

So. .....somebody else can start over

Get rid of the bench role players .

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2015, 11:26:42 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Out: Bad Players
In: Good Players
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2015, 11:29:09 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Turner, Sully and Bradley are the guys I would like to see find a new home.   AB is a great defender and good shooter but rarely can he do both together.   I would like to keep him the most of this crew.   Turner, is fool's gold, all over the place in terms of performance.  Sully can't D and is unprofessional.  I honestly think we won more games, without him last year.   Some of that IT but some of it was Jerebko can spread the floor and stay in front of his man.  I wonder what these three and a draft pick or two could get us?

Wallace should be gone, but I think he is going to be expiring and used for cap space.

Reality ought to be settling in for folks.   This is not a hot choice for free agents, even when you have the money.  We are so well regarded that we could not even get meetings with people.  Trades and the draft have always been our way, Boston's weather is poor and this winter was nasty.

Milwaukee is even colder with more snow than Boston and more of a blue collar town.  Yet, Monroe turned down NY and LA to sign with Milwaukee.  LA has been striking out this offseason despite its warm weather, beaches, and glamour because its roster sucks.  Boston wasn't able to attract top talent because its roster is not strong enough.

I agree that I would also like to see Turner moved.  Smart and Rozier are both combo guards who need to experience running the offense.  I'd like to keep Bradley.  I think his best role will be 20-25 minutes a game where he can focus his energy on defense.

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2015, 12:05:14 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
This may seem like the easy way out but I'd like to see what this group can do to start the season.  We finished last season 24 and 12 once we settled on a starting lineup of Smart, Bradley, Turner, Bass, and Zeller.   I'm guessing we will be putting Sully in Bass's place in the starting lineup.  Smart and maybe some of the others may show improvement in their games to various degrees.  I think the quartet of bigs Johnson, Zeller, Sully, and KO will be better than last year partly because of the addition of Johnson, and partly because of the gradual improvement of possibly the other 3.

Even Turner once he settled into the point forward role the second half of the season played well for us.  I believe he posted the 2nd highest 10, 5, 5 games after Westbrook post all star break.  Until Smart proves he can handle the PG duties fully I'd like to keep him in this role.  Maybe by the trade deadline in February if he shows continued success in this role maybe you could flip him looking for an upgrade, or we have a very nice pleasant surprise internally (young?) that's ready to take over. 

I like the depth of our team, and the competition for playing time.  I think the young players should earn their minutes, and just not have it handed to them.  I think some of our young players are being undervalued now, and continued improvement may increase their value even by next season's trade deadline.  I think it's more likely you'll see "clearing up roster" December through February" instead of now because of these reasons IMO.  The roster moves now may be as little as keeping Pressey or not, or keeping Mickey or sending overseas.