Author Topic: Post Your Favorite "Clearing up the roster" Trade  (Read 5772 times)

Post Your Favorite "Clearing up the roster" Trade
« on: July 02, 2015, 10:57:03 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Rules: 

1. Must clear up the depth chart to distribute the rotation more evenly and / or create playing time for younger guys.

2. Must not involve three or more teams.  Keep it simple.

3. Must make sense for the other team.  Place yourself in the other team's position and tell me why this is a good move for your franchise.

4. Avoid big names. We are probably not trading for DeMarcus Cousins this off-season.  Think outside the box.

---------------

My favorite at this point -

Sullinger + Wallace for Roy Hibbert

Roy's expiring deal fits in with our "add younger veterans on expiring deals" thing we've got going so far.  Roy and Amir in the frontcourt could make the Celts a top 10 defensive team.  Also, if Brad Stevens can get through to Hibbert and revive his career, it could end up a steal.

The trade doesn't clear up the depth chart that much, but it exchanges one of many power forwards for a legitimate center who can anchor the team in the paint, without compromising future cap space.  Also the Celts avoid having to decide whether or not to make a long term commitment to Sullinger, which could be a dicey choice.

The Pacers replace David West with a younger player, add some third string defensive depth on the wing.  Sullinger can help them play a more spread-it-out, up-tempo style, which is supposedly their plan. 

Classic "change of scenery" situation for all players involved in the deal.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Post Your Favorite "Clearing up the roster" Trade
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 10:58:48 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Roy's expiring deal fits in with our "add younger veterans on expiring deals" thing we've got going so far.  Roy and Amir in the frontcourt could make the Celts a top 10 defensive team. 

Roy Hibbert + Amir Johnson = top 3 defense in league

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 10:59:48 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Roy's expiring deal fits in with our "add younger veterans on expiring deals" thing we've got going so far.  Roy and Amir in the frontcourt could make the Celts a top 10 defensive team. 

Smart + Bradley + Crowder + Amir + Hibbert

That lineup could wreck teams on the defensive end.

Could also fail to score a single point, but hey you can't have your cake.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 11:04:58 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

LOL

Ha haa haa .......  Thinking the same ......protecting their goal like Fort Knox and building a beautiful two story BRICK ranch at the other end of the court.  ......at the same time.

Score at half.   0 - 0

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 11:21:11 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

LOL

Ha haa haa .......  Thinking the same ......protecting their goal like Fort Knox and building a beautiful two story BRICK ranch at the other end of the court.  ......at the same time.

Score at half.   0 - 0

At least they'd be excellent at something.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 11:58:01 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Sign and Trade for Biyombo or Koufos (Turner plus Pressey and Babb depending on what salary needs to be matched.

DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 12:01:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Sign and Trade for Biyombo or Koufos (Turner plus Pressey and Babb depending on what salary needs to be matched.

I'd be cool with getting Koufos.

I think Biyombo doesn't make sense unless he'd be given an opportunity for really significant playing time.  Doesn't look like the team will be in that position.  Doubt you could really play him next to Amir.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 12:03:52 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

I think Biyombo doesn't make sense unless he'd be given an opportunity for really significant playing time.  Doesn't look like the team will be in that position.  Doubt you could really play him next to Amir.

I prefer Amir Johnson and his quickness at center to Koufos and his better size. I think Amir will do more to help the team than Koufos would have.

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 12:06:48 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414

Yea..sign and trade with Memphis for Kostas would be great...they need PG to back up Conley..and we have a couple  :P
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 12:16:31 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Yea..sign and trade with Memphis for Kostas would be great...they need PG to back up Conley..and we have a couple  :P

I don't think Boston have a lot of PGs. They are more combo guards.

Smart = questions about his dribble penetration & playmaking
Rozier = a scorer, questionable passer
Bradley = undersized SG, struggles to run offense
Thorton = another scoring combo guard

Isaiah Thomas is a PG. A self-involved PG ... but a PG.

Pressey is only pass-first PG on the roster and he is probably on his way out of the league.

Evan Turner is a SG/SF/PG. I think he is best as a multi-purpose role playing wing (defender/rebounder/secondary ball-handler and playmaker) but Turner struggles to accept this role. He wants to score. Wants to have the ball in his hands too much. I think coaches haven't gotten him to understand and forced him into a smaller more compact role well enough. And that is why very few contenders will go near him. Because he wants a role that he is not good enough to play on a strong team.

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 12:17:03 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
Sign and Trade: RJ Hunter, Olynyk/Sullinger, Wallace,  1 non-Brooklyn first for Tobias Harris signed at or close to max of about 15 mil.

Orlando gets 3 prospects for taking on one year of Wallace and not matching Harris.  We clear up roster log-jam and get a 2nd legit starter with Smart who still has upside at a deal that won't cripple flexibility moving forward.

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 12:17:46 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
The Celts have 4 or 5 ball-handlers, but only one classic point guard.  And he's the 4th stringer.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 12:22:45 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I am not too worried about the roster.

I think the backcourt is fine for now because guys like RJ Hunter, Rozier, James Young, Thorton / Pressey are so young. Not sure any of them are ready to play. So I am comfortable enough with them competing for small amounts of playing time for now. Next season, I think it will be important to open up more playing time for them and make sure they (3 of them) are playing rotation roles.

I think the big man slots are mostly okay. I like the Amir / Ty Zeller center combo. The PF slot is uncomfortably crowded with Sully, Olynyk and Jerebko. I'd be happy to trade Olynyk to fix this problem. I am not high on Olynyk like some others are here and do not view him as part of the team's core heading forward. And I prefer Jerebko over Olynyk anyway. I think Sully still a chance to secure his place in team's future (if he can sort out his conditioning). So I would trade Olynyk for a future first round pick. I would be happy with a mid first rounder.

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 12:26:41 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
If you wanted to hurt the team and have them fall back in the standings, I think Avery Bradley is the obvious target. Trade him out and force those too-young too-raw backup guards to replace his minutes.

Hard to do much else elsewhere.

Smart = long term core
Amir, Jerebko, Crowder = just signed
Sully = most talented big, possible core player
The rest are bit-part players.

Oh, Evan Turner. I keep forgetting about him. I was just writing about him too and still forgot about him. That is how forgettable he is to me. Just waive him. Let him find his own way. Not worth the trouble of looking for a trade destination for him. I don't think Ainge would get any more than Philly got when they traded Turner two years ago. A middling to late 2nd round pick.

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 12:42:15 PM »

Offline Soytiz

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
I think we should also be asking, who do we want to be traded from the team's lineup?

Just following up on a post I saw here, Gallo and Faried could be good additions. Also liking Markief Morris who's getting about $8M per year if he's available.

Speculating or more like fantasizing:

Trade 1: Gallinari and Lawson for Wallace, Bradley and Sullinger
Trade 2: Morris for Turner, Olynyk and Young

Result:

G - Lawson / IT4 / Rozier
G - Smart / RJ Hunter
F - Gallinari / Crowder
F - Morris / Jerebko / Mickey
C - Johnson / Zeller