Poll

What grade do you give the Celtics off-season so far??

A
5 (6.5%)
B
22 (28.6%)
C
18 (23.4%)
D
19 (24.7%)
F
10 (13%)
Undecided right now
3 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Author Topic: Poll: Grade Celtics off-season so far  (Read 5508 times)

Re: Poll: Grade Celtics off-season so far
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2015, 12:14:31 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Literally no salesmen closes on 100% of their potential deals. Expecting that of Ainge is foolishness.

His job is not simply "to close". Would you have been happy if he closed on a deal that is terrible for the Celtics?

All I can say is, watch the movie.

Jae Crowder is a set of steak knives?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2015, 12:17:09 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
A trade is a sale.

Takes two willing partners, but it always requires one or both to CLOSE.

We can say, yes, Danny Ainge can't force other teams to trade with him.  But we can also say, accurately, that he failed to close the deal.

A trade is not a sale.  Not when two parties are trying to "close" on each other...
If a trade were a sale, the reaction when it falls apart would always be dismay.  This is not the case.
Lots of trades fall apart with one or both parties saying "Phew, we were really giving up a lot, probably too much, and a big percentage of my soul is relieved it didn't go down."  That's not at all the same as pure business where one side give up money and the other product.

Free agency is a sale.  The player comes to town and the team tries to sell
the guy on the team, city, etc...

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2015, 12:31:35 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Literally no salesmen closes on 100% of their potential deals. Expecting that of Ainge is foolishness.

His job is not simply "to close". Would you have been happy if he closed on a deal that is terrible for the Celtics?

All I can say is, watch the movie.

Jae Crowder is a set of steak knives?

Yeah. And Jerebko is "you're fired."

« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2015, 01:11:40 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
I'll give the offseason a solid C+ for now. Ainge re-signed the players that played key roles in the late season/playoff push. I still believe Ainge will make a trade to balance/improve the roster.

« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2015, 02:26:43 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
C+. 

I know a lot of you guys are upset because he didn't swing some magician deal to find us a franchise centerpiece.  But I see value in the fact that he didn't wildly overpay to move up in the draft.  Would Winslow have been worth the pile of picks it reportedly would have taken to trade up for him?  I say no. 

He had a solid draft.  Rozier and Hunter both have at least one identifiable NBA skill that will help them carve out a role in the league.  Mickey could turn into something if his offensive game develops.  Thornton's a scratch ticket, but you can see the tools. 

I think we all had pipe dreams of getting a legit look from Aldridge, but while we haven't had any fireworks, Ainge also didn't make any mistakes.  Crowder's contract will look like a sweetheart as soon as the new salary cap takes effect.  Jerebko and Johnson are both short-term deals - they won't turn us into contenders but they also don't prevent us from signing the guys who could.  They're off the books just in time for the second year of cap heaven free agency... or, if Ainge finds an opportunity before that, short-term deals are always relatively easy to move around. 

An A or B grade would suggest that he got us closer to a return to contender status.  To be completely honest, I don't think he did that.  On the other hand, he didn't make a panic move just to be seen doing something.  We still have a pile of decent young assets, we still have a pile of upcoming picks, and we still have a lot of financial flexibility.  So a C+ feels right to me.

« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2015, 02:30:51 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
F minus