Author Topic: what are we gonna do now  (Read 4569 times)

what are we gonna do now
« on: July 02, 2015, 05:04:44 AM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
Are we gonna unload cap space to sign harris or monroe? or are we done?

It doesn't make sense to sign a good veteran in johnson unless we are not tanking. If we are not tanking then shouldn't we try and get monroe or harris.
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

Re: what are we gonna do now
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 11:48:27 AM »

Offline TheSlipperyWhistle

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
We are biding our time.

Great article: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2512635-boston-celtics-using-free-agency-to-keep-dream-of-blockbuster-trade-alive

Kind of explains why we made the moves we did. Not that they are sexy....

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 11:51:56 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Lose, mostly.

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 11:55:04 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Next season is going to be a sequel to last season.  Probably not quite as fun.  The shine will come off the scrappy team of role players.  But it'll feel like more of the same. 

A revolving door of role players getting 20-25 minutes a night. Nobody you can get too excited about.  But a respectable team that plays some good basketball now and then.

Danny will try to make something happen at the deadline. 

Then we'll be right back here a year from now trying to turn multiple lower picks into a higher pick and attempting to cajole free agents into coming here, or hoping that a star player decides he wants out and the Celts can convince that team to take a platter of assets for him.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 12:10:43 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Next season is going to be a sequel to last season.  Probably not quite as fun.  The shine will come off the scrappy team of role players.  But it'll feel like more of the same. 

A revolving door of role players getting 20-25 minutes a night. Nobody you can get too excited about.  But a respectable team that plays some good basketball now and then.

Danny will try to make something happen at the deadline. 

Then we'll be right back here a year from now trying to turn multiple lower picks into a higher pick and attempting to cajole free agents into coming here, or hoping that a star player decides he wants out and the Celts can convince that team to take a platter of assets for him.

Dude you totally nailed it. Scary part is what if we have 4 first round picks next year and nobody wants them again? Can you imagine drafting 4 players again? This could get ugly in a hurry.

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 12:16:35 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Can you imagine drafting 4 players again? This could get ugly in a hurry.

At that point I think I'd just let the free agents expire, sell off any of the other holdovers, and roll almost entirely with rookie contract guys plus Crowder.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 12:29:36 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
We are going to develop our young players (Smart, Young, Sullinger, Rozier primarily) and figure out what we have.

We will probably trade Thomas during the season or maybe sooner.  I think Bradley is a potential trade target as well

Danny will continue to be ready to pounce if a good deal presents itself (such as NYK to swap Porzingis for Smart plus or Philly for Noel or just more run of the mill trades that add longer term value).

Don't get me wrong, I am not looking to trade Smart.  I like him.  I just feel like we are in a position where we could trade him if it brought back the right player.

I am not delighted about the current state or anything like that but I am also not upset with it.

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 12:32:02 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 12:59:04 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
probably done for the offseason except maybe a minor roster-filling signing such as maybe Holmes or Thornton if they impress in summer league.

guessing a 33% chance we make a trade at the deadline to move Wallace as an expiring deal to take on a bad contract with another year on it.  Might trade AB, KO and/or Sully to get a player that provides a better balance to the roster at the deadline.

get excited about seeing the Nets and Dallas underperform to the point where we anticipate getting their picks next year.  Get excited about Minny's youth movement make some leaps and challenge for a playoff spot and thereby give us their pick as well in a very-late lottery selection.

Rejoice in next year's draft with 4 lotto picks that are of such good quality we have no debates over trading up (then again, we could have the #2 pick and a number of people will scream to trade everything we have to move up that one spot) and enjoy the debate over being able to add 4 really good players to the roster while moving on from mediocre vets like Wallace, Turner, Jerebko and Amir.

And finally, having the universal Celtic family rejoicing over the team's bright future while mocking the misfortune of other teams, particularly Philly who continues to flounder. 

THAT'S what we're going to do!!

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 07:02:10 AM »

Offline Nef-Oracle

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 5
Don't know what Danny has in mind but i think a trade is coming soon. Maybe a s&t for Harris or a Smart for Noel/Okafor trade but we're not done yet, we still have some options. Don't expect us to be mediocre next year, Danny has a plan.

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 07:19:41 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
probably done for the offseason except maybe a minor roster-filling signing such as maybe Holmes or Thornton if they impress in summer league.

guessing a 33% chance we make a trade at the deadline to move Wallace as an expiring deal to take on a bad contract with another year on it.  Might trade AB, KO and/or Sully to get a player that provides a better balance to the roster at the deadline.

get excited about seeing the Nets and Dallas underperform to the point where we anticipate getting their picks next year.  Get excited about Minny's youth movement make some leaps and challenge for a playoff spot and thereby give us their pick as well in a very-late lottery selection.

Rejoice in next year's draft with 4 lotto picks that are of such good quality we have no debates over trading up (then again, we could have the #2 pick and a number of people will scream to trade everything we have to move up that one spot) and enjoy the debate over being able to add 4 really good players to the roster while moving on from mediocre vets like Wallace, Turner, Jerebko and Amir.

And finally, having the universal Celtic family rejoicing over the team's bright future while mocking the misfortune of other teams, particularly Philly who continues to flounder. 

You do know that Lopez and Young re-signed with Brooklyn right? They will be in the playoffs again, and Dallas just signed Wes Matthews in a hope to lure LaMarcus. You better pray that plan doesn't work out if you are circling like a vulture over the Dallas pick. And Philly may have just drafted a franchise big man, and Noel is now healthy, so have fun trying to laugh at the misfortune of a team that already has a better front court than us.

The only people that are laughing are the rest of the league at our rebuild strategy blowing up in our face. Your highest paid player is Amir F ing Johnson.

To the op- what now? One word. Suck.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 07:32:54 AM »

Offline YeezusChrist

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
Tank and if we don't we are seriously stupid winning 40 games and missing the playoffs will give us a terrible pick in a weak draft.

We should just play these players, let them develop and pray we win the lottery next year

Smart/IT/Rozier
Bradley/Hunter
Young/Crowder
Sully/Mickey
Zeller/KO

Not in any order but these are the only ones who should get minutes. I hate seeing my team lose but I rather have us lose a season than have use lose for a decade.

We can't win a Championship with the current team and that's the point of everything to win championships...we need better talent to do that.

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 07:40:54 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Tank and if we don't we are seriously stupid winning 40 games and missing the playoffs will give us a terrible pick in a weak draft.

We should just play these players, let them develop and pray we win the lottery next year

Smart/IT/Rozier
Bradley/Hunter
Young/Crowder
Sully/Mickey
Zeller/KO

Not in any order but these are the only ones who should get minutes. I hate seeing my team lose but I rather have us lose a season than have use lose for a decade.

We can't win a Championship with the current team and that's the point of everything to win championships...we need better talent to do that.

I'm pretty sure Danny didn't sign three FAs to give two of them zero minutes while having the other back up an unproven 20 year old.

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 07:47:39 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Meet the Cavs in the playoffs again and get the mud stomped out of us ...as the Cavs head for their first championship with their 200 million payroll

I believe C s will wind up 6 th .....but the gap between Cavs talent pool and Celtics is crazy

Celtics can't compete in post season .

Yes we might beat them in regular season......because their Stars don't try

We spend 50 million , they spend 200 million ?

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 07:58:35 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

You do know that Lopez and Young re-signed with Brooklyn right? They will be in the playoffs again, and Dallas just signed Wes Matthews in a hope to lure LaMarcus. You better pray that plan doesn't work out if you are circling like a vulture over the Dallas pick. And Philly may have just drafted a franchise big man, and Noel is now healthy, so have fun trying to laugh at the misfortune of a team that already has a better front court than us.

The only people that are laughing are the rest of the league at our rebuild strategy blowing up in our face. Your highest paid player is Amir F ing Johnson.

To the op- what now? One word. Suck.

TP

Love your last 2 statements bahahahha so dead on!