Author Topic: i was absolutely fine with our moves so far....  (Read 14614 times)

Re: i was absolutely fine with our moves so far....
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 02:27:16 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!
Just saw this and knew something was amiss. Not so great now.

Derek Bodner @DerekBodnerNBA
#sixers can only swap picks with Kings in 2016 if pick doesn't convey. Then if it doesn't convey, same thing in 2017

Derek Bodner @DerekBodnerNBA
Top-10 protected in 2016. If it doesn't convey in 2016, is top-10 protected in 2017.

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 02:34:03 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
It was fine considering their stage of the rebuild process, but I doubt the pick swaps actually help them right?
So they essentially got Stauskas and what could be a good first rounder in 2018 for taking back some junk.
I don't think we're  in a position to take back bums like Landry and Thompson with our roster while we already have Wallace.
Nice move by hinkie but Ainge didn't miss out on anything here.

If you think the 76ers will continue to suck like a Hoover for the next couple of years, it lessens the import of the switch.  If you think the 76ers will be improving, the switch of picks becomes more significant.

I don't expect the 76ers to suck like a Hoover all the way through 2018.

I do expect them to suck this season and next season though, which is when the pick swaps occur.
2018 it turns into a protected pick.
not that great imo

Unless Noel or Okafor get hurt for the whole season(s), Philly should be a much better team this year than last, and should be even better next year.  That's not even counting on Embid.

Okafur and Embiid are rookies.
Sacto are going after free agents. Do you honestly think that the 76ers will finish better than the Kings for the next two seasons?

Embid's not a rookie, though I get what you're saying, and Okafor should be an upgrade in the middle.  Even as a rookie and a "rookie", how are you expecting Boston to handle them, for example?

As for where the 76ers finish, it's too soon to be sure of the team's respective rosters, but the 76ers play in the weaker conference, which gives them more games against the weaker teams in the league.

There was an 11 game difference between the teams last year.  It wouldn't be outrageous to think the Kings could win 6 fewer and the 76ers could improve by 6 games, which is what it would take to flip positions.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 02:41:37 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Give Hinkie credit, that trade is a gem.  On par with how Ainge used the Pierce TPE to add Zeller.  Might end up better.
it depends on what staukas does, but yes...  I'm actually in a state of shock at how brutally we have botched this offseason so far. I don't even want to believe it.  I'm in denial right now. This can't be it.   Philly is hitting home runs and we aren't even on the field right now.  We are in the concession stands sticking our heads in the churro fryer.

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2015, 02:53:02 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Give Hinkie credit, that trade is a gem.  On par with how Ainge used the Pierce TPE to add Zeller.  Might end up better.
it depends on what staukas does, but yes...  I'm actually in a state of shock at how brutally we have botched this offseason so far. I don't even want to believe it.  I'm in denial right now. This can't be it.   Philly is hitting home runs and we aren't even on the field right now.  We are in the concession stands sticking our heads in the churro fryer.

Lol.  Exactly how I feel except in my scenario were eyebrows deep in nacho cheese sauce.

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2015, 03:25:01 AM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
until i just saw the completed deal between the 6ers and Kings.

for those that haven't seen yet, the 6ers absorb the contracts of Landry, Thompson, and Stauskus from the Kings and as a thank you for doing so, get the rights to swap 1sts with Sacto this year, next year, and get Sac's 2018 1st rounder outright.

i trusted danny, i always gave him the benefit of the doubt in believing that he would at least try for the big options first, that he was doing what was in the best interest of this team and aiming high to start, while knowing he'd be rebuffed, and settling eventually on lesser players.  for example, i thought he'd try to get a meeting with Love, get told no, and go all in on Tobias, and if that fell through as well that would be what leads us to the signings of Johnson, Crowder, and Jonas like we've done.  now, i just don't think he's earned that benefit of the doubt.

this trade was obviously sitting there to be made.  i'm aware the pipe dream was that things would not work out for the Kings and that eventually we'd be right back in the race for Cousins when they decide to unload him.  But you CAN NOT let a division rival get that deal while you toil away signing a midlevel, undersized center, and re-signing your own ok but not great FAs.

I was the biggest critic of Hinkie and the 6ers 'plan' here, but this certainly shuts me up.  they were able to do in a single night with just cap space, what it took us having to trade away KG, Pierce, and Terry to do, and they were able to do it for what will most likely be better picks.  It can't be that Hinkie is that much better of a negotiator than Ainge.  maybe he's just more prudent at working the phones?  you have to believe Sacto was willing to do this deal with any Eastern Conference team that had cap space, with an eye towards being able to add some FAs of their own.  how is our GM seemingly not aware that this deal is out there for the taking?  or worse, does he actually think our guys + Amir Johnson provides more long term value to our franchise?

Regardless, i was a huge Danny Ainge fan, and i believed that his plan was that, having no better options out there, sign the guys we have, and coast to a 30-35 win season, and improve our stock in the lottery with the picks we hae next year (don't forget, a lot still had to go right in both camps for both Brooklyn and ourselves to make the playoffs this past season, the odds of that happening again aren't that high).  however, now, i think this may be the last straw

Calm down the picks are top 10 protected- Probably unlikely to convey for the next two years.  It would be a steal if the picks were unprotected, but not even Vlade and Vivek are that dumb

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2015, 03:49:01 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I don't really get why this is such an amazing deal?

The 76ers get one draft pick that should be top 10, but is top 10 protected. No help.

The 76ers get to swap their picks for Sacramento's picks, which most likely never happens because the sixers picks probably be higher (if they are worse, it's not likely to be by much).

The 76ers (who are rebuilding remember, hence are trying to lose) get Thompson and Landry.  They risk making the 76ers actually win a couple of more games (hence hurting their tanking efforts) and add a combined $13M to their salary cap at the same time.

(76ers get Stauskas who is kinda useless right now as both a player and an asset - he generates nearly zero interest to any team.

For Sacramento it gives them cap space to sign Rondo - a guy who is a notorious hot head, who is known for being hard to get along with, who hates losing, and who doesn't respect authority.  Man, that's going to go down great in Sacramento alongside Cousins and in THAT management structure.

I just don't see how either team is helped long term by this trade. 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 03:54:18 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2015, 04:08:11 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

The 76ers get one draft pick that should be top 10, but is top 10 protected. No help.

The 76ers get to swap their picks for Sacramento's picks, which most likely never happens because the sixers picks probably be higher (if they are worse, it's not likely to be by much).

The 76ers (who are rebuilding remember, hence are trying to lose) get Thompson and Landry.  They risk making the 76ers actually win a couple of more games (hence hurting their tanking efforts) and add a combined $13M to their salary cap at the same time.

(76ers get Stauskas who is kinda useless right now as both a player and an asset - he generates nearly zero interest to any team.

For Sacramento it gives them cap space to sign Rondo - a guy who is a notorious hot head, who is known for being hard to get along with, who hates losing, and who doesn't respect authority.  Man, that's going to go down great in Sacramento alongside Cousins and in THAT management structure.

The Sixers have plenty of cap space so the extra salary doesn't hurt them.  It actually puts them at the minimum team salary. 

Stauskas had a bad year for the Kings but so did Young for us.  If you're going to write off Stauskas, you'd better write off Young too. 

A top 10 protected pick in a salary dump trade is good value.  We don't know the details of how long it stays protected and what it rolls into if it doesn't convey. 

Do you think the Kings are still going to be bad over the next couple years (i.e. top 10 pick bad)?  If so, the pick swaps are potential really good .  They would add to the Sixers chance of get a top 3 pick even if the Sixers finish with a worse record than the Kings. 

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 05:14:52 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

If Sac wins the lottery the Sixers get the pick... That's huge from a team like Sac. A team that's been solidly in the top 10 the past 2 years.

If the Sixers make a jump, they still have the potential of a top 10 pick with Sacramento.

They get a free look at the guy who was the #8 pick and got stuck in a terrible spot.

They got another 1st round pick.

How can you not think this was a win for Philadelphia?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 05:57:06 AM by RAAAAAAAANDY »

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 05:39:57 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

If Sac wins the lottery the Sixers get the pick... That's huge for a team that's been solidly in the top 10 the past 2 years.

If the Sixers make a jump, they still have the potential of a top 10 pick with Sacramento.

They get a free look at the guy who was the #8 pick and got stuck in a terrible spot.

They got another 1st round pick.

How can you not think this was a win for Philadelphia.
In addition, the 2nd year of Thompson's contract is only partially guaranteed.  Also even with picking up this additional salary, the Sixers are still 19mil under the cap.  They could use it to offer Harris a Max contract.  They could use it in another salary dump deal to pick up additional picks. 

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2015, 05:58:03 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
until i just saw the completed deal between the 6ers and Kings.

for those that haven't seen yet, the 6ers absorb the contracts of Landry, Thompson, and Stauskus from the Kings and as a thank you for doing so, get the rights to swap 1sts with Sacto this year, next year, and get Sac's 2018 1st rounder outright.

i trusted danny, i always gave him the benefit of the doubt in believing that he would at least try for the big options first, that he was doing what was in the best interest of this team and aiming high to start, while knowing he'd be rebuffed, and settling eventually on lesser players.  for example, i thought he'd try to get a meeting with Love, get told no, and go all in on Tobias, and if that fell through as well that would be what leads us to the signings of Johnson, Crowder, and Jonas like we've done.  now, i just don't think he's earned that benefit of the doubt.

this trade was obviously sitting there to be made.  i'm aware the pipe dream was that things would not work out for the Kings and that eventually we'd be right back in the race for Cousins when they decide to unload him.  But you CAN NOT let a division rival get that deal while you toil away signing a midlevel, undersized center, and re-signing your own ok but not great FAs.

I was the biggest critic of Hinkie and the 6ers 'plan' here, but this certainly shuts me up.  they were able to do in a single night with just cap space, what it took us having to trade away KG, Pierce, and Terry to do, and they were able to do it for what will most likely be better picks.  It can't be that Hinkie is that much better of a negotiator than Ainge.  maybe he's just more prudent at working the phones?  you have to believe Sacto was willing to do this deal with any Eastern Conference team that had cap space, with an eye towards being able to add some FAs of their own.  how is our GM seemingly not aware that this deal is out there for the taking?  or worse, does he actually think our guys + Amir Johnson provides more long term value to our franchise?

Regardless, i was a huge Danny Ainge fan, and i believed that his plan was that, having no better options out there, sign the guys we have, and coast to a 30-35 win season, and improve our stock in the lottery with the picks we hae next year (don't forget, a lot still had to go right in both camps for both Brooklyn and ourselves to make the playoffs this past season, the odds of that happening again aren't that high).  however, now, i think this may be the last straw

Calm down the picks are top 10 protected- Probably unlikely to convey for the next two years.  It would be a steal if the picks were unprotected, but not even Vlade and Vivek are that dumb

The Sixers don't want them to convey. They can swap picks if the Kings retain them in the top 10.

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2015, 06:12:17 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't know if this exact deal would have been on the table, but conceptually, this is what I was advocating for Danny to do with our cap space.

Why sign guys on two year (second year non-guaranteed) deals, when trades of this nature are still out there?

This was my last post before going to bed:

I'm relieved that the deals are only for one year, but I'm a bit puzzled by Danny electing to waste a year basically running the team back, wasting our cap space in the process.

If we were going to punt a year, wouldn't it have made more sense to stay under the cap or retain the trade exception, using our flexibility to pick up more assets like we did last year?  This could be the last season in awhile that teams are looking to dump salary to get under the cap.  Why not take advantage of that, if we're not signing an impact player?

I wake up to this, which only confirms the loss of opportunity going forward.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2015, 06:49:29 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
I don't know if this exact deal would have been on the table, but conceptually, this is what I was advocating for Danny to do with our cap space.

Why sign guys on two year (second year non-guaranteed) deals, when trades of this nature are still out there?

This was my last post before going to bed:

I'm relieved that the deals are only for one year, but I'm a bit puzzled by Danny electing to waste a year basically running the team back, wasting our cap space in the process.

If we were going to punt a year, wouldn't it have made more sense to stay under the cap or retain the trade exception, using our flexibility to pick up more assets like we did last year?  This could be the last season in awhile that teams are looking to dump salary to get under the cap.  Why not take advantage of that, if we're not signing an impact player?

I wake up to this, which only confirms the loss of opportunity going forward.
I don't see why Ainge felt like he needed to sign Johnson and Jerebko so quickly.  The same deals could have most likely been made a few days from now.  Even if someone else scooped them up, not getting Johnson or Jerebko wouldn't be a big loss.  Philly has apparently had preliminary salary dump trade discussion with Houston in case LMA decides to sign with them.  I could also see Dallas needing to do a salary dump deal. 

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2015, 07:11:20 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

I like the moves we've made but I have to agree, this is a bizarrely underwhelming offseason.  The team did finish strong in the regular season, so bringing back that crew with Amir instead of Bass and filling out the bench with the rookies isn't crazy.  But it sure looks like Ainge didn't have any serious plans to do anything more than that.

Given what the cap increases are going to mean, this seems like a horrible missed opportunity.  We're not as bad off as the Kings, Lakers or Knicks but as Hinkie committed totally to the draft, Ainge is betting everything on making some major trades in the future.  If nothing else, we're going to be buried under an avalanche of picks in the next few years.

Mike

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2015, 07:50:58 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Danny had a really great FA, with 3 very good moves. Now Hinkie has outdone him, and we can be a little jealous. But this was not a deal that we really wanted to make-- we actually value our cap space. Moreover Sac wouldn't be willing to give us pick-swaps, as our picks will be way worse than Philly's. I don't think it would've been a good idea for us to take on all that salary for Stauskas and their 2018 pick.

Best part about this deal for Philly fans is that it might signal an end to tanking. If I were Hinkie I'd start building a real team and make Sac pay for giving those pick swaps.

Worst part about this deal for us is that it means we have zero chance at DMC. Without owning any of their own picks the next three years Sac has no incentive to trade him and bottom out.

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2015, 08:01:17 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Danny had a really great FA, with 3 very good moves. Now Hinkie has outdone him, and we can be a little jealous. But this was not a deal that we really wanted to make-- we actually value our cap space. Moreover Sac wouldn't be willing to give us pick-swaps, as our picks will be way worse than Philly's. I don't think it would've been a good idea for us to take on all that salary for Stauskas and their 2018 pick.

Best part about this deal for Philly fans is that it might signal an end to tanking. If I were Hinkie I'd start building a real team and make Sac pay for giving those pick swaps.

Worst part about this deal for us is that it means we have zero chance at DMC. Without owning any of their own picks the next three years Sac has no incentive to trade him and bottom out.
It is just not that much salary for them to take on.  The guaranteed money is 13mil this year and 9mil next year.  They still have around 19mil in cap space this year.  They took on about as much salary in the McGee deal and they only got a heavier protected OKC pick.  There is also nothing stopping them from trading Landry or Thompson at the deadline or more likely next offseason. 

I know we have Trader Danny but it looks like the Sixers have Swindler Sam. 

Edit: I didn't include Stauskas' contract in the guaranteed money.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 08:07:46 AM by tazzmaniac »