Author Topic: Would you give up Smart to get Bledsoe?  (Read 4480 times)

Re: Would you give up Smart to get Bledsoe?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 07:41:54 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Tempting ... yeah, yes, I would trade Smart for Bledsoe.

Part of Phoenix's FA pitch to Aldridge is playing with Bledsoe and Brandon Knight so I think a trade would be off the table if they signed Aldridge. Aldridge wants win now players. Veterans who have learned their trade. Guys like Bledsoe. Not youngsters like Smart.

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 07:59:25 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Nope.  Maybe my answer will change after this season.  I need to see how much Smart continues to improve and the status of Bledsoe's knees.  But I don't think it's worth the risk right now.  As somebody else said, by the time it matters, Bledsoe may be past his prime.  Bledsoe's game and body don't look like they will age gracefully.

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 08:11:21 AM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
Is this actually a possibility? That would be an amazing trade for the Celtics! I happen to watch a lot of west coast games, mainly because the western conference is 10 times more entertaining than the eastern conference, and Bledsoe is a stud! Brad Stevens would be in heaven with Bledsoe cause he can do anything and everything on the offense end particularly on the fast break. The second you think he is going to keep driving to the basket he pulls up for a backbreaking three pointer. Bledsoe can create his own shot and create for others just like IT and that is not a common trait on the Celtics roster right now. Wow the Celtics would be fun to watch with Bledsoe!

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2015, 08:18:44 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Part of Phoenix's FA pitch to Aldridge is playing with Bledsoe and Brandon Knight so I think a trade would be off the table if they signed Aldridge. Aldridge wants win now players. Veterans who have learned their trade. Guys like Bledsoe. Not youngsters like Smart.

Is it?  Because I have no idea how they have room for Aldridge if they're keeping Bledsoe.  Do they plan on S&T-ing Aldridge for the Morrii (as they've come to be known on this site)?  I'd heard that Portland was interested in Bledsoe, myself.

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2015, 08:22:34 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Is it?  Because I have no idea how they have room for Aldridge if they're keeping Bledsoe.  Do they plan on S&T-ing Aldridge for the Morrii (as they've come to be known on this site)?  I'd heard that Portland was interested in Bledsoe, myself.

This is what I heard as well.

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2015, 08:23:22 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2015, 08:26:29 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
In a heartbeat. I highly doubt Smart will be half the player Bledsoe is and he was taken at the 18th overall pick. He was also a freshman coming out of college and played second fiddle to Wall so there was at least a reason for him being a little raw coming out of college. Smart had two whole years with his own team and then got more minutes in his rookie season and he still couldn't put up better stats.

#1. Smart was younger during his debut NBA season than Bledsoe. So someone could use Smart's younger age as an excuse for being "raw" during his rookie year.
#2. Bledsoe played 30mpg for 37 games during his season at Kentucky. He had plenty of experience coming out of college, especially considering that Kentucky is by far a better NBA farm team than Oklahoma State.
#3. Bledsoe played MORE minutes in his NBA rookie season than Marcus Smart.
#4. Smart outplayed Bledsoe when comparing their rookie years. Bledsoe has an edge in some offensive categories like assists, but he also has the lead in negative categories like turnovers. Smart is the far better defender of the two. Smart has a massive advantage when looking at statistics like win shares, ORtg, DRtg, BPM and VORP. In fact, there's not any advanced metric where Bledsoe has an advantage over Smart.

In short, you're factually wrong on some points and your assumptions on others aren't really valid. Now compare the fact that Bledsoe is getting paid $13.5m this year and Marcus Smart is getting paid $3.5m - the difference of a Gerald Wallace contract. Bledsoe will be the better player this year but Smart could very well be the better player in 2-3 years (NBA players peak at 24-25) when this team may be ready to compete for a championship and in the meanwhile he's a LOT cheaper. 
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 08:36:02 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
I'd definitely keep Smart. Bledsoe is only slightly better right now, and is much older and not under team control for as long as Smart.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 08:37:37 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
No, because we already have Bledsoe...except his name is Rozier.

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2015, 08:43:53 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
no way...Smart is younger and could be better in a year or two. I am optimistic that Smart will be the better player in a year or two

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2015, 08:52:45 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

This is what I heard as well.

Maybe I am wrong.

I thought I read somewhere yesterday (can't remember where to double check) that the Suns pitch was mainly based around (1) play with Tyson Chandler (2) play with talented guards [which I presumed to mean both B.Knight and E.Bledsoe].

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2015, 09:25:27 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
No...I believe in Smart...especially in his defense.

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2015, 09:54:25 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
http://www.nba.com/celtics/video/practice/rookies-adjusting-new-team/teammates

This is important. He plays with a lot of heart and seems to inspire the players around him. From the things I've read, I'm excited to see him blossom into a real leader, given the chance. That's a big deal. I'm not sure how you quantify that with money. I wouldn't trade him for Bledsoe, straight up.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2015, 09:55:51 AM »

Offline JoeyAinge

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
No because after next year smart will be the better player

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2015, 09:59:20 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
No.