Author Topic: Jae Crowder agrees to five-year, $35 million deal with the Boston Celtics  (Read 15529 times)

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Steve Bulpett @SteveBHoop
Agent for Jae Crowder (@CJC9BOSS) : "He always wanted to come back. Playing for Brad Stevens is a big thing for him." Boston Herald

“He always wanted to come back,” said Crowder’s representative, Glenn Schwartzman. “We ended up getting a bunch of calls from teams, but his desire (to return) was strong.

“Playing for Brad Stevens is a big thing for him. When a player trusts a coach and the way he gets used at both ends of the floor, of course that’s the guy he’s going to want to play for.”

That latter point made a return to the Mavericks an unlikely scenario for Crowder. He came here from Dallas as part of the Rajon Rondo transaction last December and said on more than one occasion that he was far more comfortable with the Celts than in Dallas coach Rick Carlisle’s system.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I wonder if this means we now wont be chasing Tobias?!

Don't think it has much relevance, but might make Ainge a bit more patience if he isn't sold on Tobias. But if there's legit interest in Tobias, this doesn't change anything if much.

Looks like I was wrong:

Sources from other teams and within the player rep community say the C’s were also in play for Tobias Harris and Corey Brewer, but as of late last night, those pursuits have ended.

The Celts had a certain financial parameter in mind for Harris, and when it became clear that Orlando was willing to pay big to match any offer for the restricted free agent, they were out of the running.

Boston Herald

Wow.  We did all that posturing for position in the draft and free agency and we came away with Amir Johnson.  This is a monumental fail.  Same team next year with only one or two new guys to watch to see if anything sticks.  Holdin oot hope for a trade of some sort
So we swap pressey for hozier.  We swap bass for Amir.  And that's about it.

Should be in the lotto next year.  I know we overachieved last year, but we were bottom 9 with 11 games left.  I can't see it happening again. 

Bummer of an offseason.

Are you ready to take me on in my Tommy Point bet yet?  Your doom-and-gloom scenario has happened...
Much like the underwhelming return we got for rondo (no offense to crowder), the pittance we have received this summer has surpassed even my most pessimistic of nightmares.

If I had told you guys before the offseason that we'd stand pat in the draft and select a pg projected 2nd round... And then follow it up by giving all 23 mil of our cap space to jerebko, crowder and Amir Johnson, I'd probably get banned for trolling.

I want to see how this trade market shakes out.  After all the talk about cap space, it seems to me we decided to just hang onto our trade exceptions instead. I'm in a state of denial right now.  I'm still waiting for that other shoe.  Drop the shoe, Danny. This can't be it.  Biyombo or bust.
you're complaining about Johnson being signed but whining for Biyombo not being signed and proposing that would be the key to changing your opinion of the offseason?  smh
Biyombo thing is a joke. I only expected him to be a target if we struck out on all the big names. 

Did anyone predict 12 mil to amir Johnson?  That's whacky.

This offseason sucks so far.

non-guaranteed 2nd year. Not so wacky.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Seems like the Jae Crowder contract is front-loaded:

Bobby Marks @BobbyMarks42
7.5% decrease in the Crowder contract for 2016-17 gives BOS a bit more cap space.

Disregard below, including chart:

Kevin O'Connor @KevinOConnorNBA
@BobbyMarks42 reports Jae Crowder will get a 7.5% decrease in salary, so his 5-year, $35M deal could look like this.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 08:10:37 AM by BudweiserCeltic »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

7.5% decrease in the Crowder contract for 2016-17 gives BOS a bit more cap space.

@BobbyMarks42 reports Jae Crowder will get a 7.5% decrease in salary, so his 5-year, $35M deal could look like this.

Marks just says a decrease for 2016 cap space, so could be this:

2015: $6,796,117
2016: $6,286,408
2017: $6,796,117
2018: $7,305,825
2019: $7,815,534

If he'd just gotten 7.5% raises the whole way through, it would be $6,543,478 in year 2, so the above way saves the most cap room for next year.  Kevin's way is one of the most expensive in year 2.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

If he'd just gotten 7.5% raises the whole way through, it would be $6,543,478 in year 2, so the above way saves the most cap room for next year.  Kevin's way is one of the most expensive in year 2.

Hmm, that's true. Will have to keep an eye on then on how it's structured.

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
This is great! Ainge is locking up guys that he wants. AB, IT and now Crowder all on great deals.

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
This deal is great for Crowders current level, if he improves it will be an amazing deal.

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137

in 5 years if he pans out to a  really good player, hell be the 5.7 million dollar man. Can only imagine whats 5.7mil gets you in 2020

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
This deal is great for Crowders current level, if he improves it will be an amazing deal.

I wouldn't say it's great for his current level.  He's a pretty limited player right now (his only major strengths are defensive versatility and hustle/motor) and is a fringe starter at best.  I'd say he's worth MLE money at best right now.

I think this contract assumes that he's going to improve significantly from who he is right now.   

It seriously bewilders me how people can criticise Danny so much for paying Avery Bradley around $8M a year, but then the same people seem to think $7m a year for Crowder is a bargain.

Avery Bradley is a much, much better player right now than Crowder is...I mean he is pretty much better than Crowder at everything except maybe (and that's a MAYBE) passing.  Bradley probably has higher upside too.

I know the increasing cap plays a part, but still...so much bias around here.

I love Crowder and I'm fine with this deal, but then I also love Bradley and all that he brings.

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150

I wouldn't say it's great for his current level.  He's a pretty limited player right now (his only major strengths are defensive versatility and hustle/motor) and is a fringe starter at best.  I'd say he's worth MLE money at best right now.

I think this contract assumes that he's going to improve significantly from who he is right now.   

It seriously bewilders me how people can criticise Danny so much for paying Avery Bradley around $8M a year, but then the same people seem to think $7m a year for Crowder is a bargain.

Avery Bradley is a much, much better player right now than Crowder is...I mean he is pretty much better than Crowder at everything except maybe (and that's a MAYBE) passing.  Bradley probably has higher upside too.

I love Crowder and I'm fine with this deal, but then I also love Bradley and all that he brings.

TP  I agree with most of what you say.  He does have his clutch scoring times too.

Two years ago a player of his ability would have commanded 3-4 million at most.  Now, these salaries are getting out of hand.   

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

You're correct:

@KevinOConnorNBA just decrease in year 2

So not really a front-loaded contract. Just a decrease in year 2.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

You're correct:

@KevinOConnorNBA just decrease in year 2

So not really a front-loaded contract. Just a decrease in year 2.

Glad to see it.  I was annoyed that Bradley's deal wasn't structured that way last year (albeit for four years).  That deal is the best when you're over the cap, but hope to be under it in year 2 and/or 3, since it saves the most room in those years.  Straight decreasing the whole way through (like IT's) makes the most sense when you know you have no cap room for the first two years of the deal.

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton

I think you are just talking generally about Bradley, but I think his deal is good too.

I think I rate Crowder higher than you do. My reasoning is his play by the end of last season and a few quotes about him not really knowing what to do on O at frst and just shooting. By the end he was driving and CBS did start him our last game. Certainly I might be getting my hopes up just to be let down, but I'm not someone who is enamored with all our young guys. ok, maybe 8 mil next season isn't great, but it is still very good. I'm not budging past "very good"!

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

I think you are just talking generally about Bradley, but I think his deal is good too.

I think I rate Crowder higher than you do. My reasoning is his play by the end of last season and a few quotes about him not really knowing what to do on O at frst and just shooting. By the end he was driving and CBS did start him our last game. Certainly I might be getting my hopes up just to be let down, but I'm not someone who is enamored with all our young guys. ok, maybe 8 mil next season isn't great, but it is still very good. I'm not budging past "very good"!

I definitely meant in general - sorry just realized that probably sounded like I was aiming at you!

I don't know about Crowder.

i feel that even his end of season play was merely 'good' rather than 'great' in my honest opinion. 

If you look at his pure 'box score' numbers, he averaged 13.7 / 6.4 / 2.1 Per-36 Minutes over the whole of last season.  As a Celtic he averaged 14 / 6.9 / 2.1 Per-36 so not much departure from that.  I'd say those are genuine fringe-starter numbers.

If you look past these and check the 'advanced' stats, then his Real-Plus-Minus was actually slightly negative (around -0.5 from memory) so again nothing there to really indicate that he had a greater impact on the game more than his numbers suggest.

He's not especially physically gifted either.  His height for his position (6'6") is pretty average.  His wingspan (6'9") relative to his height is pretty averages.  His pre-draft vertical measurement (34.5") was merely 'OK'. I'd say he's really only around average quickness and speed for an NBA Small Forward.  He's got outstanding strength (240 pounds) which is his key advantage, but other than that he's physical profile is pretty average.

He's not especially skilled either.  He's a strong (but not elite) rebounder for a small forward.  He's an average scorer.  He's a poor shooter, but shows potential.  He's a pretty average ball hanadler.  Decent (but not great) passer. Can't really create his own offense, and merely 'decent' at getting to the basket.  He's a quality defensive player, but advanced stats don't indicate that he's an elite or even great one - just good.

I mean it doesn't really matter how you look at it, everything about Crowder seems to scream 'average'.

When I watch Crowder play, I see a guy who has earns his place based purely on unlimited will, unstoppable motor, and an elite work ethic.  A guy who simple beats opposing players on a per-possession basis because he quite simply just wants it more, and I have complete respect for that.  He's also a guy who's never going to be about getting his numbers, and who's always going to put what the team needs first, and I respect that too.

That's also why I am fairly confident that he will develop as a player - because when you are as hard working and as dedicated as he clearly is, it's pretty hard not to improve. 

I think Danny and crew are banking on that same premise, hence the (IMHO) fairly generous long-term contract.  I have little doubt that by the time Crowder is half way through that contact, it will look like an absolute bargain.