Author Topic: Jae Crowder agrees to five-year, $35 million deal with the Boston Celtics  (Read 15555 times)

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I wonder if this means we now wont be chasing Tobias?!

Don't think it has much relevance, but might make Ainge a bit more patience if he isn't sold on Tobias. But if there's legit interest in Tobias, this doesn't change anything if much.

Looks like I was wrong:

Sources from other teams and within the player rep community say the C’s were also in play for Tobias Harris and Corey Brewer, but as of late last night, those pursuits have ended.

The Celts had a certain financial parameter in mind for Harris, and when it became clear that Orlando was willing to pay big to match any offer for the restricted free agent, they were out of the running.

Boston Herald

Wow.  We did all that posturing for position in the draft and free agency and we came away with Amir Johnson.  This is a monumental fail.  Same team next year with only one or two new guys to watch to see if anything sticks.  Holdin oot hope for a trade of some sort
So we swap pressey for hozier.  We swap bass for Amir.  And that's about it.

Should be in the lotto next year.  I know we overachieved last year, but we were bottom 9 with 11 games left.  I can't see it happening again. 

Bummer of an offseason.

I believe Boston played the last 36 games of the season at a pace to win over 50 games.

This has been a big letdown of an offseason but there's little reason to think this team won't be a lot be closer to .500 than 25 wins.  Which might not get you that excited.

Mike

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Nice signing.
Happy to have him back, and at a relative bargain given how much money is being thrown around this offseason.
Celtics fan for life.

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Should be in the lotto next year.  I know we overachieved last year, but we were bottom 9 with 11 games left.  I can't see it happening again. 

Bummer of an offseason.

You talk as though there was some terrific option that Ainge failed to pursue. What was it?

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
What was Ainge suppose to do?  Why are people mad? Who was Ainge supposed to sign? What other scenarios, realistic ones, would you have wanted that Ainge could have done?

Johnson is one year, Jerebko is one year, Crowder is an incredibly cap friendly deal.

Why are people mad?

This is year 2 going into year 3.  Last rebuild lasted 5 years under Ainge.

Monroe and Harris were available and Ainge made no effort at one and little for the other.  Ainge may be right in not pursuing them but this is a case where a fan could be reasonably frustrated.

Mike

No its not reasonable at all.  Harris is RFA and magic said they will match max. Monroe is a big who can't play defense.  Makes no sense to go after either.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Don't think it has much relevance, but might make Ainge a bit more patience if he isn't sold on Tobias. But if there's legit interest in Tobias, this doesn't change anything if much.

Looks like I was wrong:

Sources from other teams and within the player rep community say the C’s were also in play for Tobias Harris and Corey Brewer, but as of late last night, those pursuits have ended.

The Celts had a certain financial parameter in mind for Harris, and when it became clear that Orlando was willing to pay big to match any offer for the restricted free agent, they were out of the running.

Boston Herald

Wow.  We did all that posturing for position in the draft and free agency and we came away with Amir Johnson.  This is a monumental fail.  Same team next year with only one or two new guys to watch to see if anything sticks.  Holdin oot hope for a trade of some sort

Bummer of an offseason.

Are you ready to take me on in my Tommy Point bet yet?  Your doom-and-gloom scenario has happened...
Much like the underwhelming return we got for rondo (no offense to crowder), the pittance we have received this summer has surpassed even my most pessimistic of nightmares.

If I had told you guys before the offseason that we'd stand pat in the draft and select a pg projected 2nd round... And then follow it up by giving all 23 mil of our cap space to jerebko, crowder and Amir Johnson, I'd probably get banned for trolling.

I want to see how this trade market shakes out.  After all the talk about cap space, it seems to me we decided to just hang onto our trade exceptions instead. I'm in a state of denial right now.  I'm still waiting for that other shoe.  Drop the shoe, Danny. This can't be it.  Biyombo or bust.

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!

Looks like I was wrong:

Boston Herald

Bummer of an offseason.

Are you ready to take me on in my Tommy Point bet yet?  Your doom-and-gloom scenario has happened...
Much like the underwhelming return we got for rondo (no offense to crowder), the pittance we have received this summer has surpassed even my most pessimistic of nightmares.

If I had told you guys before the offseason that we'd stand pat in the draft and select a pg projected 2nd round... And then follow it up by giving all 23 mil of our cap space to jerebko, crowder and Amir Johnson, I'd probably get banned for trolling.

I want to see how this trade market shakes out.  After all the talk about cap space, it seems to me we decided to just hang onto our trade exceptions instead. I'm in a state of denial right now.  I'm still waiting for that other shoe.  Drop the shoe, Danny. This can't be it.  Biyombo or bust.

Bismack Biyombo is not walking through that door fans...

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Looks like I was wrong:

Boston Herald

Bummer of an offseason.

you're complaining about Johnson being signed but whining for Biyombo not being signed and proposing that would be the key to changing your opinion of the offseason?  smh

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Looks like I was wrong:

Boston Herald

Bummer of an offseason.

you're complaining about Johnson being signed but whining for Biyombo not being signed and proposing that would be the key to changing your opinion of the offseason?  smh
Biyombo thing is a joke. I only expected him to be a target if we struck out on all the big names. 

Did anyone predict 12 mil to amir Johnson?  That's whacky.

This offseason sucks so far.

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Another solid signing by DA! I wish he didn't sign Jerebko though. No need to pay a benchwarmer $5M/yr when he's not better than Scalabrine.

Jerebko is a lot better than Scal. Scal was an extremely smart player who had zero physical gifts. He just tried hard. Jerebko is like that, except has physical talent.

Yup.  Also Scal killed a lot of his smarts with too much indecision...

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Crowder fits well with this group of tough defensive minded young players. No fireworks, but still interesting.

This team needs a good trade!

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Looks like I was wrong:

Boston Herald

Bummer of an offseason.

Biyombo thing is a joke. I only expected him to be a target if we struck out on all the big names. 

Did anyone predict 12 mil to amir Johnson?  That's whacky.

This offseason sucks so far.

Nope. That said, an one year overpay if they didn't like the options in FA was always one of the higher possibilities for this year.

What surprised me though was the lack of interest for Monroe.

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

Looks like I was wrong:

Boston Herald

Bummer of an offseason.

You keep spouting this projected in second round nonsense.

What is your problem?

Go follow a team you enjoy following, for both your benefit, and the benefit of us here who get sick and tired of your whining, complaining, and the way you constantly make Celtics players out to be worse than they are.

It gets extremely old.

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
This a very affordable deal for Boston. Great negotiation by Ainge and the front office to get Crowder extended for that much.

I believe Ainge will attempt to trade Wallace, Turner and picks for a player. The current roster won't be here when the season open.

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
It gets extremely old.

Unfortunately on this weekend we celebrate the freedom of speech and of the press, which LarBrd33 abuses regularly for that nonsense.

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
What was Ainge suppose to do?  Why are people mad? Who was Ainge supposed to sign? What other scenarios, realistic ones, would you have wanted that Ainge could have done?

Johnson is one year, Jerebko is one year, Crowder is an incredibly cap friendly deal.

Why are people mad?

This is year 2 going into year 3.  Last rebuild lasted 5 years under Ainge.

In all, we're into year one of rebuild. Last season is when we finished the deconstruction of our previous roster.

Not how it works, bud. Haven't you watched HGTV? "Demo" is rightfully included in the time estimate prior to taking on a reno. 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 02:38:24 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC