Author Topic: Jae Crowder agrees to five-year, $35 million deal with the Boston Celtics  (Read 15554 times)

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I wonder if this means we now wont be chasing Tobias?!

Don't think it has much relevance, but might make Ainge a bit more patience if he isn't sold on Tobias. But if there's legit interest in Tobias, this doesn't change anything if much.

Looks like I was wrong:

Sources from other teams and within the player rep community say the C’s were also in play for Tobias Harris and Corey Brewer, but as of late last night, those pursuits have ended.

The Celts had a certain financial parameter in mind for Harris, and when it became clear that Orlando was willing to pay big to match any offer for the restricted free agent, they were out of the running.

Boston Herald

Wow.  We did all that posturing for position in the draft and free agency and we came away with Amir Johnson.  This is a monumental fail.  Same team next year with only one or two new guys to watch to see if anything sticks.  Holdin oot hope for a trade of some sort
So we swap pressey for hozier.  We swap bass for Amir.  And that's about it.

Should be in the lotto next year.  I know we overachieved last year, but we were bottom 9 with 11 games left.  I can't see it happening again. 

Bummer of an offseason.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
A fine signing considering Brendan Wright went for 6mill per. Crowder seems to be a leader worth more than his stats.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Like waking up to this news. Glad to have Crowder back in the fold.  Reasonable deal too.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Another solid signing by DA! I wish he didn't sign Jerebko though. No need to pay a benchwarmer $5M/yr when he's not better than Scalabrine.

Jerebko is a lot better than Scal. Scal was an extremely smart player who had zero physical gifts. He just tried hard. Jerebko is like that, except has physical talent.

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I like the signing as well. Love his hustle and fire he has...and I think it's a good contract

Offline M.A.

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2
Stoked. Im so glad the Celtics were able to get this deal done. Crowder looks great in Celtics green.

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Wow! And here I thought with most of the wings getting maxed out that he's going to cost a ton. That's is a very good signing, and for cheap too.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Don't think it has much relevance, but might make Ainge a bit more patience if he isn't sold on Tobias. But if there's legit interest in Tobias, this doesn't change anything if much.

Looks like I was wrong:

Sources from other teams and within the player rep community say the C’s were also in play for Tobias Harris and Corey Brewer, but as of late last night, those pursuits have ended.

The Celts had a certain financial parameter in mind for Harris, and when it became clear that Orlando was willing to pay big to match any offer for the restricted free agent, they were out of the running.

Boston Herald

Wow.  We did all that posturing for position in the draft and free agency and we came away with Amir Johnson.  This is a monumental fail.  Same team next year with only one or two new guys to watch to see if anything sticks.  Holdin oot hope for a trade of some sort

Should be in the lotto next year.  I know we overachieved last year, but we were bottom 9 with 11 games left.  I can't see it happening again. 

Bummer of an offseason.

Are you ready to take me on in my Tommy Point bet yet?  Your doom-and-gloom scenario has happened...

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
What was Ainge suppose to do?  Why are people mad? Who was Ainge supposed to sign? What other scenarios, realistic ones, would you have wanted that Ainge could have done?

Johnson is one year, Jerebko is one year, Crowder is an incredibly cap friendly deal.

Why are people mad?

This is year 2 going into year 3.  Last rebuild lasted 5 years under Ainge.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
What was Ainge suppose to do?  Why are people mad? Who was Ainge supposed to sign? What other scenarios, realistic ones, would you have wanted that Ainge could have done?

Johnson is one year, Jerebko is one year, Crowder is an incredibly cap friendly deal.

Why are people mad?

In all, we're into year one of rebuild. Last season is when we finished the deconstruction of our previous roster.

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
One of my favorites...tough, tough, tough!

And don't forget he's only 24.

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Crowdah Chowdah.  There is no one I've ever wanted to retire a Celtic since Paul Pierce than this guy and I'm glad we signed him long term.  He just seem made for the team and the city.  I like the deal.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Why are people mad?

Monroe and Harris were available and Ainge made no effort at one and little for the other.  Ainge may be right in not pursuing them but this is a case where a fan could be reasonably frustrated.

Mike

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Looks like I was wrong:

Boston Herald

Should be in the lotto next year. I know we overachieved last year, but we were bottom 9 with 11 games left.  I can't see it happening again. 

Bummer of an offseason.

Exactly. This is a 37 win team next year.

I'm confused why everyone thinks overpaying Crowder is a good move? I like the guy but now it's like AB. Not a huge overpay but still an overpay.

Offline JoeyAinge

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
Smart/Isiah/Rozier
Bradley/Young/RJ Hunter/Thorton
Turner/crowder/---
Sully/Kelly/Jerebko
Zeller/Johnson

I see us fighting for the 7th seed with a breakout year from sully 20-10 n smart averaging 10-5-2steals

Young starts getting minutes , Turner hopefully dished out at the deadline,
 hopefully dished out at the deadline.

2nd half of season

Smart
Avery
Young
Sully
Johnson

We go 10-30
Don't make the playoffs.
Get the 1st and 3rd pick and 10th (ours and Nets and Mavs)

with 100mill in cap space.

Wallace comes off the books
Sully off the books
Turner traded
We release Johnson and Jerebko

Only players on roster are
Smart/Isiah/Avery/Kelly/Young/RJ Hunter/Zeller
All who round out a good bench

100 mill in capspace and NO GOOD FREE AGENTS aside from KD and good luck in that sweepstakes with star playerSSS in line.