Author Topic: Jason Thompson, Carl Landry & Nik Stauskas traded to Philadelphia 76ers  (Read 30500 times)

Re: Jason Thompson, Carl Landry & Nik Stauskas traded to Philadelphia 76ers
« Reply #120 on: July 03, 2015, 10:23:06 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
Reading this article is kind of depressing as a Celtic fan:

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-76ers/jahlil-okafor-nik-stauskas-i-love-being-around-great-shooters

Stauskas will play.  He fills a need for Philly (shooting).   He shot 47%/42%/87% during the month of March.  Kid showed improvement.   The players are excited to have him there.   Nice young player.

Nik Stauskus sucked last year.  HE SUCKED.  That is not an opinion.  That is an objective fact.  For you to write the negative things you have written about one Celtic player after another, then positively gush over a rookie failure like Stauskus is unbelievable.  Compared to Stauskus, Smart and KO are all-stars and Bradley and Turner are hall of famers.

This is why people get irritated with you.  It's not that you are wrong.  Everybody is wrong from time to time.  It's that you go off on these jags where you spout off absolute nonsensical garbage.

Mike
Eh...

First of all.... Sacramento Kings. 

Second of all... Sacramento Kings

Third of all... They had three coaches last season

Forth, Ben McLemore was horrible as a rookie and made major progress in his second year. 

Fifth, a year ago the majority of this board was telling me Stauskas was better than McLemore.  I disagreed.   Both were elite shooters in College

Sixth, when George Karl showed up, Stauskas made real progress.  He shot lights-out in the month of March... there is more evidence to suggest that Stauskas is an elite shooter than otherwise.

Seventh, this has NOTHING TO DO WITH PHILLY.  Just feel compelled to reiterate that.  I had a thread a week before the draft suggesting we trade #16 for Stauskas.  So before anyone tries to pin this on my love-affair with Philly... you're wrong.

Eight, Stauskas was thought to be a 3rd tier prospect last year with Gary Harris and Doug McDermott (ahead of Payton and Nurkic, apparently... proof that pre-draft tiers aren't perfect).  I had him 10th on my board.  This year, the "3rd tier" prospects included Winslow, WCS and Hezonja.  Celtics apparently were considering Stauskas at #6

Lastly...  Stauskas made real progress during the second half of the season.  I'm in no way suggesting Stauskas is on the same level as Marcus Smart.  Clearly not.  Smart is unquestionably our best asset.  Nik Stauskas was just given away for free.   Nobody would suggest that Stauskas is a better asset than Smart.  There's a reason why Smart was taken 2 picks ahead of Stauskas.   That said, let's look at their production over the second half... inflated over 36 minutes:

Post all-star stats projected over 36 minutes:

Nik Stauskas:  12.2 points, 2.4 assists, 3 rebounds, 0.5 steals 42%/42%/86%
Marcus Smart:  10.8 points, 3.1 assists, 4.5 rebounds, 2.3 steals, 36%/31%/62%

If you're curious about what they did in College here's their per-40 stats:
Stauskas:  19.7 points, 3.7 assists, 3.3 rebounds, 0.6 steals, 47%/44%/82%
Smart:  22 points, 5.8 assists, 7.2 rebounds, 3.5 steals 42%/29%/73%

So yeah, Smart does more.  Smart is a better defender.   Stauskas might end up a better scorer.  Fair to note that Stauskas was sharing touches with Cousins (24.1ppg), Gay (21.1ppg), Collison (16.1ppg) and McLemore (12.1ppg).   Smart was more or less given the keys to a low-rent offense built around starters Avery Bradley (13.9ppg) and Brandon Bass (10.6ppg). 

Also, Ben McLemore started all 82 games for the Kings this year.  Stauskas had limited bench role from the beginning.   He started exactly 1 game... where he put up 14 points, 5 assists, 5 rebounds, 2 steals on 56% shooting and 3/4 from three.  Stauskas was never given the same opportunity as Smart.

I, for one, will be very interested to see what Stauskas does with a sizable role in Philly.  That's a team that has an intriguing interior presence, but will need an outside shooter for kick-outs.   You're saying Stauskas sucks.  Unless you believed he sucked heading into the draft, you might want to rethink your hot take.

Saying Stauskus sucked is not a "hot take."  It is the ability to recognize reality.  I could trot out stat after stat after stat to demonstrate that but I won't, for the same reason that I don't feel the need to produce evidence that water is wet or night is dark.

I will merely point out...

1.  You show more enthusiasm for Nik Stauskus and Anthony Freakin' Bennett than anyone on the team of whom you are supposedly a fan.

2.  Post-all-star break, Boston was playing at a pace to win over 50 games for a full season.

3.  Referring to a player's pre-draft reputation and college stats after we've already seen how he plays in the pros is one of the mistakes that idiot GMs make to keep their franchises for years and years.  Michael Beasley was really well regarded before he was drafted.  Are you upset Ainge hasn't signed him?

Again, if you don't want people getting irritated with your ridiculous arguments...STOP MAKING RIDICULOUS ARGUMENTS.

Mike

Kinda curious what you opinion of James Young is?

I know he's a bit younger, but a year is hardly enough to evaluate most rookies. Particularly ones who see minimal playing time for mediocre teams.

« Reply #121 on: July 03, 2015, 12:16:44 PM »

Offline rutzan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 85
i would lean towards philly getter the better of the deal...but...those who are complaining about danny are not thinking this thru logically...i'm assuming that these are the people tired of being in year 3 of the rebuild and are getting impatient...not too big an assumption...if we were to take the philly trade that would not benefit us for 2 to 4 years waiting to swap picks, etc...are you willing to wait that much longer...danny is giving us the best chance to improve quickly and is setting us up for next year...which is much sooner than waiting t swap picks like philly will be doing...the 2nd year of johnson and jerebko are non-guaranteed...next year we will have potentially $55 in cap space, potentially (4) 1st rd picks, a great young coach and a young core that is improving...that might just be the right ingredients to make the jump to the next level or even higher next year...so...once again...if you want the rebuild to accelerate more quickly....then...danny did the right thing by turning down the sacto deal...even if he was offered it...if danny had been offered the philly deal...which we are not even sure of...then...that would have delayed the rebuild...hinkie's plan is still going to take 5 - 6 years...he is not done yet...that puts danny at approx the same pace...just a different route...i still put my trust in danny...1 title + 1 finals apprearance + 1 conf finals...better than most gm's...

« Reply #122 on: July 03, 2015, 12:52:45 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-76ers/jahlil-okafor-nik-stauskas-i-love-being-around-great-shooters

Stauskas will play.  He fills a need for Philly (shooting).   He shot 47%/42%/87% during the month of March.  Kid showed improvement.   The players are excited to have him there.   Nice young player.

Nik Stauskus sucked last year.  HE SUCKED.  That is not an opinion.  That is an objective fact.  For you to write the negative things you have written about one Celtic player after another, then positively gush over a rookie failure like Stauskus is unbelievable.  Compared to Stauskus, Smart and KO are all-stars and Bradley and Turner are hall of famers.

This is why people get irritated with you.  It's not that you are wrong.  Everybody is wrong from time to time.  It's that you go off on these jags where you spout off absolute nonsensical garbage.

Mike
Eh...

Forth, Ben McLemore was horrible as a rookie and made major progress in his second year. 

Fifth, a year ago the majority of this board was telling me Stauskas was better than McLemore.  I disagreed.   Both were elite shooters in College

Sixth, when George Karl showed up, Stauskas made real progress.  He shot lights-out in the month of March... there is more evidence to suggest that Stauskas is an elite shooter than otherwise.

Seventh, this has NOTHING TO DO WITH PHILLY.  Just feel compelled to reiterate that.  I had a thread a week before the draft suggesting we trade #16 for Stauskas.  So before anyone tries to pin this on my love-affair with Philly... you're wrong.

Eight, Stauskas was thought to be a 3rd tier prospect last year with Gary Harris and Doug McDermott (ahead of Payton and Nurkic, apparently... proof that pre-draft tiers aren't perfect).  I had him 10th on my board.  This year, the "3rd tier" prospects included Winslow, WCS and Hezonja.  Celtics apparently were considering Stauskas at #6

Lastly...  Stauskas made real progress during the second half of the season.  I'm in no way suggesting Stauskas is on the same level as Marcus Smart.  Clearly not.  Smart is unquestionably our best asset.  Nik Stauskas was just given away for free.   Nobody would suggest that Stauskas is a better asset than Smart.  There's a reason why Smart was taken 2 picks ahead of Stauskas.   That said, let's look at their production over the second half... inflated over 36 minutes:

So yeah, Smart does more.  Smart is a better defender.   Stauskas might end up a better scorer.  Fair to note that Stauskas was sharing touches with Cousins (24.1ppg), Gay (21.1ppg), Collison (16.1ppg) and McLemore (12.1ppg).   Smart was more or less given the keys to a low-rent offense built around starters Avery Bradley (13.9ppg) and Brandon Bass (10.6ppg). 

Also, Ben McLemore started all 82 games for the Kings this year.  Stauskas had limited bench role from the beginning.   He started exactly 1 game... where he put up 14 points, 5 assists, 5 rebounds, 2 steals on 56% shooting and 3/4 from three.  Stauskas was never given the same opportunity as Smart.

I, for one, will be very interested to see what Stauskas does with a sizable role in Philly.  That's a team that has an intriguing interior presence, but will need an outside shooter for kick-outs.   You're saying Stauskas sucks.  Unless you believed he sucked heading into the draft, you might want to rethink your hot take.

Saying Stauskus sucked is not a "hot take."  It is the ability to recognize reality.  I could trot out stat after stat after stat to demonstrate that but I won't, for the same reason that I don't feel the need to produce evidence that water is wet or night is dark.

1.  You show more enthusiasm for Nik Stauskus and Anthony Freakin' Bennett than anyone on the team of whom you are supposedly a fan.

2.  Post-all-star break, Boston was playing at a pace to win over 50 games for a full season.

3.  Referring to a player's pre-draft reputation and college stats after we've already seen how he plays in the pros is one of the mistakes that idiot GMs make to keep their franchises for years and years.  Michael Beasley was really well regarded before he was drafted.  Are you upset Ainge hasn't signed him?

Again, if you don't want people getting irritated with your ridiculous arguments...STOP MAKING RIDICULOUS ARGUMENTS.

Mike

I know he's a bit younger, but a year is hardly enough to evaluate most rookies. Particularly ones who see minimal playing time for mediocre teams.

Here's what I think of Young.

1.  He was 19 years old last season.

2.  He had several decent vets playing ahead of him.

3.  Boston was actually trying to win last season, not let rookies get their feet wet.

4.  When he was drafted, Young was clearly an "upside" pick who wasn't expected to come in and set the world on fire.

5.  Having said all that, it's not a great sign that he couldn't crack the Celtics' rotation last season.  He's so young and had so little chance to play that it's way to early to give up on him, but neither can you pin too much hope on him.

6.  Young and Stauskus are not very comparable.  Stauskus is almost two years older (which means a lot at this point), was drafted higher, expected to be more ready to contribute and was on a team where playing time should have been easier to come by.

7.  On the other hand, Stauskus is still young himself, should at the very least be an NBA-quality shooter and a lot of guys would look bad playing in the dumpster fire that is the Sacramento Kings.

James Young remains an unanswered question and it's too early to completely give up on Staukus.  But no reasonable person could possibly be more enthusiastic about Stauskus than they are about Smart or Sully or KO or Zeller or Bradley or Turner or Crowder or even Jerebko, for pity's sake.

A pessimistic fan is a normal part of sports.  What LarBrd is doing now is crossing into the abnormal.

Mike

« Reply #123 on: July 03, 2015, 01:04:37 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
I'm pretty close to you. Agree a lot about the age thing.

Pretty even assessment. I have seen some assumptions James Young just steps in as a good rotation player this year, and I'm not really sure how that wouldd be different than Stauskas doing that.

But yeah, both are questions marks worth keeping and developing IMO. Both will probably make a decent sized step this year compared to last year.

« Reply #124 on: July 03, 2015, 01:17:26 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
25 mins ago - via Twitter JakeLFischer

Jake Fischer: NBA execs are definitely whispering about the Kings’ potential to withdraw from Stauskas-Sixers trade. None truly expect it to happen, tho.

Trade, Nik Stauskas, Philadelphia 76ers, Sacramento Kings

25 mins ago - via Twitter JakeLFischer

Jake Fischer: Common expectation around NBA is Sacramento goes through with Nik Stauskas trade to the Sixers and signs Rajon Rondo to a long term deal.

Free Agency, Trade, Nik Stauskas, Rajon Rondo, Philadelphia 76ers, Sacramento Kings

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #125 on: July 03, 2015, 01:25:17 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52

Stauskas will play.  He fills a need for Philly (shooting).   He shot 47%/42%/87% during the month of March.  Kid showed improvement.   The players are excited to have him there.   Nice young player.   Earlier today I somehow glossed over how insane this trade actually is:

Sixers after they acquired guard Nik Stauskas and forwards Carl Landry and Jason Thompson in a trade with the Sacramento Kings late Wednesday night, according to a league source. In the deal, the Sixers also acquired a top-10 protected first-round pick in 2018 as well as the right to swap draft picks with the Kings in 2016 or 2017. And all the Sixers gave up were the rights to last week?s second-round picks, Arturas Gudaitis and Luka Mitrovic, per a league source.

So just to recap...

Philly has three of the top 6 big man prospects in the league in Embiid, Okafor and Noel.  Two of which are believed to have franchise potential and the third looks like he's going to be a perennial defensive player the year.  Next year they'll presumably be adding Saric, widely believed to be the best foreign player not currently in the NBA.  They own the Lakers' Top 3 protected 1st next year.  They also own protected 1sts from Miami (top 10 protected) and Oklahoma (top 15 protected) next year.  They have the rights to swap picks with the Kings in 2016 and 2017 (which could be huge if the Kings trade Cousins)... They added Nik Stauskas, a player we were strongly considering taking over Marcus Smart last year, for literally nothing.   

Look, I get labelled a Philly fan.  I'm not a Philly fan.   They happen to have a lot of players I liked well well before they were on that team... and frankly, everyone here liked as well.  I was here in the 2013 draft thread when everyone was desperately hoping for us to land a pick to take Noel.   I was here last year when we were desperately hoping Embiid would fall to #6 or we'd be able to trade up.   I was here last month when we were all holding our breath that Danny would pull off his godfather offer for Okafor.   I started a thread a few weeks ago saying I'd gladly give up the #16 pick for Nik Stauskas.  It just so happens all these guys keep ending up on Philly.   I think Hinkie has balls, has been willing to fully sacrifice the short-term for long term, has gone all-in on acquiring players with superstar potential... and there's a chance this can fail.   

Reality is that if Philly wanted to, they could turn this into a playoff team this year.  I'm serious.  All they'd have to do is put Okafor and Embiid on the open market and take the highest bidder.  Boston, for instance, would gladly trade half their team for Okafor.  Remember, it doesn't take much to make the playoffs in the Eastern conference.  Last year a bottom 10 team had a nice run over the final 11 games and snuck into the 7th seed with a losing record.  It doesn't take much.   And you need to remember that the Sacramento Kings haven't made the playoffs in 9 years.   Don't sleep on those pick swaps.  It means Philly can go for the playoffs immediately and keep adding lotto picks.  But Philly will probably hang onto those kids and wait for the best possible offer.

I don't know how Hinkie will handle the "next step" of building a team from golden assets.   But I know that a competent GM could fairly easily turn that team into a playoff participant in the next two years... and it has a really good shot of seriously contending in the next 5.   And if anyone here claims they wouldn't swap our entire roster and assets with Philly right now, they either don't follow the NBA very closely or are just flat out lying.

This writer gives this trade an "A" for Philly and an "F--" for the Kings:  http://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/238569/Grading-The-Deal-76ers-On-Winning-Side-Of-Atrocious-Salary-Dump-By-Kings
With Ellis and Mathews off the market, the trade looks even worse for the Kings.  We could have underbid the Sixers but instead Ainge uses up our cap space on Johnson and Jerebko.

Ainge used up too much cap space?

« Reply #126 on: July 03, 2015, 01:28:40 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Mike
Eh...

Mike

Here's what I think of Young.

1.  He was 19 years old last season.

2.  He had several decent vets playing ahead of him.

3.  Boston was actually trying to win last season, not let rookies get their feet wet.

4.  When he was drafted, Young was clearly an "upside" pick who wasn't expected to come in and set the world on fire.

5.  Having said all that, it's not a great sign that he couldn't crack the Celtics' rotation last season.  He's so young and had so little chance to play that it's way to early to give up on him, but neither can you pin too much hope on him.

6.  Young and Stauskus are not very comparable.  Stauskus is almost two years older (which means a lot at this point), was drafted higher, expected to be more ready to contribute and was on a team where playing time should have been easier to come by.

7.  On the other hand, Stauskus is still young himself, should at the very least be an NBA-quality shooter and a lot of guys would look bad playing in the dumpster fire that is the Sacramento Kings.

James Young remains an unanswered question and it's too early to completely give up on Staukus.  But no reasonable person could possibly be more enthusiastic about Stauskus than they are about Smart or Sully or KO or Zeller or Bradley or Turner or Crowder or even Jerebko, for pity's sake.

A pessimistic fan is a normal part of sports.  What LarBrd is doing now is crossing into the abnormal.

Mike
Hypocritical.

I expect stauskas to have a better season than James Young next year.   If Young wasnt a Celtic you'd just say "he sucks!!" and be done with it.  But since he's on Boston he's a "young player with potential" and you gloss over the fact that over the second half of last season, Nik stauskas outplayed Marcus smart in some ways.

You don't judge rookies after a single season.  Smart was pretty weak in year 1, but I have hope he can develop beyond a defensive role player.  Stauskas might develop beyond a 3-point specialist.  We need to wait and find out.  The fact that philly got him for free... Along with the right to swap picks with a perpetual lotto team... That's pretty outstanding.   As a Celtic fan, I'm jealous of Philly's offseason so far.

« Reply #127 on: July 03, 2015, 06:34:36 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
i would lean towards philly getter the better of the deal...but...those who are complaining about danny are not thinking this thru logically...i'm assuming that these are the people tired of being in year 3 of the rebuild and are getting impatient...not too big an assumption...if we were to take the philly trade that would not benefit us for 2 to 4 years waiting to swap picks, etc...are you willing to wait that much longer...danny is giving us the best chance to improve quickly and is setting us up for next year...which is much sooner than waiting t swap picks like philly will be doing...the 2nd year of johnson and jerebko are non-guaranteed...next year we will have potentially $55 in cap space, potentially (4) 1st rd picks, a great young coach and a young core that is improving...that might just be the right ingredients to make the jump to the next level or even higher next year...so...once again...if you want the rebuild to accelerate more quickly....then...danny did the right thing by turning down the sacto deal...even if he was offered it...if danny had been offered the philly deal...which we are not even sure of...then...that would have delayed the rebuild...hinkie's plan is still going to take 5 - 6 years...he is not done yet...that puts danny at approx the same pace...just a different route...i still put my trust in danny...1 title + 1 finals apprearance + 1 conf finals...better than most gm's...
The trade helped the Philly rebuild process and it would have helped our rebuild process too.  Landry's and Thompson's guaranteed money for their 2nd years is only 9mil.  So by your figures we'd still have 46mil in cap space.  We'd also have the Kings 2018 1st (protected) as an additional asset.  We'd also in all likelihood finish better than the Kings so we'd use the trade swap to get a top 10 pick.  We'd most likely get to pick swap again in 2017.  Finally we'd get a chance to check out Stauskas. 

Imagine if we had the trade swap in this past draft.  We would have picked 6th not 16th.  We could have had Cauley-Stein, Mudiay, Johnson or Winslow instead of Rozier.