Author Topic: Jason Thompson, Carl Landry & Nik Stauskas traded to Philadelphia 76ers  (Read 30353 times)

Re: Jason Thompson, Carl Landry & Nik Stauskas traded to Philadelphia 76ers
« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2015, 04:45:10 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I don't see this as big win for Philly.  They get Stauskas who may not ever be any better than the European players that Sac gets, and a protected first round pick.  I don't think the swaps will ever be worth much if anything.

For Sac, they get to clean out some dead salary which can be hard to do.  This trade in of itself is not a win for Sac either but they could turn it into a win by making the right signings (which I am skeptical they will do).  If they botch the FA part of this deal, it doesn't mean it is a bad trade or more of a win for Philly though (at least not directly).

If their big move is Rondo/Ellis, I don't see Sac being any better or worse.  I see the lottery for both of these teams for several years to come.
You say you think both teams are in the lottery for several years.  Last season, the Sixers finished with the 3rd worst record and the Kings finished with the 6th worse record.  Where do you think the Sixers and Kings will finish next season and the following season?   

« Reply #106 on: July 03, 2015, 01:44:04 AM »

Offline Rondohara

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
Junk

Collector

Sign says out side d gym

For sale ...
Broken and busted player s

ACL .....Tuesdays special......buy one get another damaged knee FREE!

Head case day.......every Friday .......come early

Dirt cheap ...no offer refused .....1st or 2nd rd picks preferred .

No refund ......on damaged players

Mental issues .....are not refundable either

Very funny and quite acurate.
Goal for next season: Top 2 seed.
Say goodbye to: Turner, Zeller, Sully.

« Reply #107 on: July 03, 2015, 02:07:14 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Reading this article is kind of depressing as a Celtic fan:

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-76ers/jahlil-okafor-nik-stauskas-i-love-being-around-great-shooters

Stauskas will play.  He fills a need for Philly (shooting).   He shot 47%/42%/87% during the month of March.  Kid showed improvement.   The players are excited to have him there.   Nice young player.   Earlier today I somehow glossed over how insane this trade actually is:

Sixers after they acquired guard Nik Stauskas and forwards Carl Landry and Jason Thompson in a trade with the Sacramento Kings late Wednesday night, according to a league source. In the deal, the Sixers also acquired a top-10 protected first-round pick in 2018 as well as the right to swap draft picks with the Kings in 2016 or 2017. And all the Sixers gave up were the rights to last week?s second-round picks, Arturas Gudaitis and Luka Mitrovic, per a league source.

So just to recap...

Philly has three of the top 6 big man prospects in the league in Embiid, Okafor and Noel.  Two of which are believed to have franchise potential and the third looks like he's going to be a perennial defensive player the year.  Next year they'll presumably be adding Saric, widely believed to be the best foreign player not currently in the NBA.  They own the Lakers' Top 3 protected 1st next year.  They also own protected 1sts from Miami (top 10 protected) and Oklahoma (top 15 protected) next year.  They have the rights to swap picks with the Kings in 2016 and 2017 (which could be huge if the Kings trade Cousins)... They added Nik Stauskas, a player we were strongly considering taking over Marcus Smart last year, for literally nothing.   

Look, I get labelled a Philly fan.  I'm not a Philly fan.   They happen to have a lot of players I liked well well before they were on that team... and frankly, everyone here liked as well.  I was here in the 2013 draft thread when everyone was desperately hoping for us to land a pick to take Noel.   I was here last year when we were desperately hoping Embiid would fall to #6 or we'd be able to trade up.   I was here last month when we were all holding our breath that Danny would pull off his godfather offer for Okafor.   I started a thread a few weeks ago saying I'd gladly give up the #16 pick for Nik Stauskas.  It just so happens all these guys keep ending up on Philly.   I think Hinkie has balls, has been willing to fully sacrifice the short-term for long term, has gone all-in on acquiring players with superstar potential... and there's a chance this can fail.   

Reality is that if Philly wanted to, they could turn this into a playoff team this year.  I'm serious.  All they'd have to do is put Okafor and Embiid on the open market and take the highest bidder.  Boston, for instance, would gladly trade half their team for Okafor.  Remember, it doesn't take much to make the playoffs in the Eastern conference.  Last year a bottom 10 team had a nice run over the final 11 games and snuck into the 7th seed with a losing record.  It doesn't take much.   And you need to remember that the Sacramento Kings haven't made the playoffs in 9 years.   Don't sleep on those pick swaps.  It means Philly can go for the playoffs immediately and keep adding lotto picks.  But Philly will probably hang onto those kids and wait for the best possible offer.

I don't know how Hinkie will handle the "next step" of building a team from golden assets.   But I know that a competent GM could fairly easily turn that team into a playoff participant in the next two years... and it has a really good shot of seriously contending in the next 5.   And if anyone here claims they wouldn't swap our entire roster and assets with Philly right now, they either don't follow the NBA very closely or are just flat out lying.

This writer gives this trade an "A" for Philly and an "F--" for the Kings:  http://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/238569/Grading-The-Deal-76ers-On-Winning-Side-Of-Atrocious-Salary-Dump-By-Kings
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 02:23:45 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #108 on: July 03, 2015, 03:17:51 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-76ers/jahlil-okafor-nik-stauskas-i-love-being-around-great-shooters

Stauskas will play.  He fills a need for Philly (shooting).   He shot 47%/42%/87% during the month of March.  Kid showed improvement.   The players are excited to have him there.   Nice young player.

Nik Stauskus sucked last year.  HE SUCKED.  That is not an opinion.  That is an objective fact.  For you to write the negative things you have written about one Celtic player after another, then positively gush over a rookie failure like Stauskus is unbelievable.  Compared to Stauskus, Smart and KO are all-stars and Bradley and Turner are hall of famers.

This is why people get irritated with you.  It's not that you are wrong.  Everybody is wrong from time to time.  It's that you go off on these jags where you spout off absolute nonsensical garbage.

Mike

« Reply #109 on: July 03, 2015, 03:31:27 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Stauskas will play.  He fills a need for Philly (shooting).   He shot 47%/42%/87% during the month of March.  Kid showed improvement.   The players are excited to have him there.   Nice young player.   Earlier today I somehow glossed over how insane this trade actually is:

Sixers after they acquired guard Nik Stauskas and forwards Carl Landry and Jason Thompson in a trade with the Sacramento Kings late Wednesday night, according to a league source. In the deal, the Sixers also acquired a top-10 protected first-round pick in 2018 as well as the right to swap draft picks with the Kings in 2016 or 2017. And all the Sixers gave up were the rights to last week?s second-round picks, Arturas Gudaitis and Luka Mitrovic, per a league source.

So just to recap...

Philly has three of the top 6 big man prospects in the league in Embiid, Okafor and Noel.  Two of which are believed to have franchise potential and the third looks like he's going to be a perennial defensive player the year.  Next year they'll presumably be adding Saric, widely believed to be the best foreign player not currently in the NBA.  They own the Lakers' Top 3 protected 1st next year.  They also own protected 1sts from Miami (top 10 protected) and Oklahoma (top 15 protected) next year.  They have the rights to swap picks with the Kings in 2016 and 2017 (which could be huge if the Kings trade Cousins)... They added Nik Stauskas, a player we were strongly considering taking over Marcus Smart last year, for literally nothing.   

Look, I get labelled a Philly fan.  I'm not a Philly fan.   They happen to have a lot of players I liked well well before they were on that team... and frankly, everyone here liked as well.  I was here in the 2013 draft thread when everyone was desperately hoping for us to land a pick to take Noel.   I was here last year when we were desperately hoping Embiid would fall to #6 or we'd be able to trade up.   I was here last month when we were all holding our breath that Danny would pull off his godfather offer for Okafor.   I started a thread a few weeks ago saying I'd gladly give up the #16 pick for Nik Stauskas.  It just so happens all these guys keep ending up on Philly.   I think Hinkie has balls, has been willing to fully sacrifice the short-term for long term, has gone all-in on acquiring players with superstar potential... and there's a chance this can fail.   

Reality is that if Philly wanted to, they could turn this into a playoff team this year.  I'm serious.  All they'd have to do is put Okafor and Embiid on the open market and take the highest bidder.  Boston, for instance, would gladly trade half their team for Okafor.  Remember, it doesn't take much to make the playoffs in the Eastern conference.  Last year a bottom 10 team had a nice run over the final 11 games and snuck into the 7th seed with a losing record.  It doesn't take much.   And you need to remember that the Sacramento Kings haven't made the playoffs in 9 years.   Don't sleep on those pick swaps.  It means Philly can go for the playoffs immediately and keep adding lotto picks.  But Philly will probably hang onto those kids and wait for the best possible offer.

I don't know how Hinkie will handle the "next step" of building a team from golden assets.   But I know that a competent GM could fairly easily turn that team into a playoff participant in the next two years... and it has a really good shot of seriously contending in the next 5.   And if anyone here claims they wouldn't swap our entire roster and assets with Philly right now, they either don't follow the NBA very closely or are just flat out lying.

This writer gives this trade an "A" for Philly and an "F--" for the Kings:  http://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/238569/Grading-The-Deal-76ers-On-Winning-Side-Of-Atrocious-Salary-Dump-By-Kings
With Ellis and Mathews off the market, the trade looks even worse for the Kings.  We could have underbid the Sixers but instead Ainge uses up our cap space on Johnson and Jerebko. 

« Reply #110 on: July 03, 2015, 04:17:31 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Stauskas will play.  He fills a need for Philly (shooting).   He shot 47%/42%/87% during the month of March.  Kid showed improvement.   The players are excited to have him there.   Nice young player.

Nik Stauskus sucked last year.  HE SUCKED.  That is not an opinion.  That is an objective fact.  For you to write the negative things you have written about one Celtic player after another, then positively gush over a rookie failure like Stauskus is unbelievable.  Compared to Stauskus, Smart and KO are all-stars and Bradley and Turner are hall of famers.

This is why people get irritated with you.  It's not that you are wrong.  Everybody is wrong from time to time.  It's that you go off on these jags where you spout off absolute nonsensical garbage.

Mike
At least Stauskas showed a pulse at the end of the season, Young couldn't even earn playing time.  I also give Stauskas some leeway since he was playing for the dysfunctional Kings.  I'd say the ceiling for Stauskas is good bench player or possible 5th starter on the right team.  I'd put Young and Hunter in that same category.  With Philly having all their bigs (especially Okafor) plus increased playing time, I could see Stauskas showing significant improvement. 

The point is Hinkie made a deal that gives Philly several more opportunities to improve (Stauskas, 2016 pick swap, 2017 pick swap, 2018 1st (top 10 protected) at very little cost.  With the strength in the west and the Kings being the Kings, it is hard to see the Kings not being in the bottom 10 for the next two years.  If the Kings finish 6th worst again both years, that would give the Sixers an additional 21.5% chance at a top 3 pick and an additional 6.3% chance at the #1 pick for both 2016 and 2017.  There's even a chance that the Karl/Cousins situation blows up next season which would make the pick swaps look even better. 

« Reply #111 on: July 03, 2015, 04:33:07 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Mike
Eh...

First of all.... Sacramento Kings. 

Second of all... Sacramento Kings

Third of all... They had three coaches last season

Forth, Ben McLemore was horrible as a rookie and made major progress in his second year. 

Fifth, a year ago the majority of this board was telling me Stauskas was better than McLemore.  I disagreed.   Both were elite shooters in College

Sixth, when George Karl showed up, Stauskas made real progress.  He shot lights-out in the month of March... there is more evidence to suggest that Stauskas is an elite shooter than otherwise.

Seventh, this has NOTHING TO DO WITH PHILLY.  Just feel compelled to reiterate that.  I had a thread a week before the draft suggesting we trade #16 for Stauskas.  So before anyone tries to pin this on my love-affair with Philly... you're wrong.

Eight, Stauskas was thought to be a 3rd tier prospect last year with Gary Harris and Doug McDermott (ahead of Payton and Nurkic, apparently... proof that pre-draft tiers aren't perfect).  I had him 10th on my board.  This year, the "3rd tier" prospects included Winslow, WCS and Hezonja.  Celtics apparently were considering Stauskas at #6

Lastly...  Stauskas made real progress during the second half of the season.  I'm in no way suggesting Stauskas is on the same level as Marcus Smart.  Clearly not.  Smart is unquestionably our best asset.  Nik Stauskas was just given away for free.   Nobody would suggest that Stauskas is a better asset than Smart.  There's a reason why Smart was taken 2 picks ahead of Stauskas.   That said, let's look at their production over the second half... inflated over 36 minutes:

Post all-star stats projected over 36 minutes:

Nik Stauskas:  12.2 points, 2.4 assists, 3 rebounds, 0.5 steals 42%/42%/86%
Marcus Smart:  10.8 points, 3.1 assists, 4.5 rebounds, 2.3 steals, 36%/31%/62%

If you're curious about what they did in College here's their per-40 stats:
Stauskas:  19.7 points, 3.7 assists, 3.3 rebounds, 0.6 steals, 47%/44%/82%
Smart:  22 points, 5.8 assists, 7.2 rebounds, 3.5 steals 42%/29%/73%

So yeah, Smart does more.  Smart is a better defender.   Stauskas might end up a better scorer.  Fair to note that Stauskas was sharing touches with Cousins (24.1ppg), Gay (21.1ppg), Collison (16.1ppg) and McLemore (12.1ppg).   Smart was more or less given the keys to a low-rent offense built around starters Avery Bradley (13.9ppg) and Brandon Bass (10.6ppg). 

Also, Ben McLemore started all 82 games for the Kings this year.  Stauskas had limited bench role from the beginning.   He started exactly 1 game... where he put up 14 points, 5 assists, 5 rebounds, 2 steals on 56% shooting and 3/4 from three.  Stauskas was never given the same opportunity as Smart.

I, for one, will be very interested to see what Stauskas does with a sizable role in Philly.  That's a team that has an intriguing interior presence, but will need an outside shooter for kick-outs.   You're saying Stauskas sucks.  Unless you believed he sucked heading into the draft, you might want to rethink your hot take. 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 04:43:11 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #112 on: July 03, 2015, 05:41:08 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I don't see this as big win for Philly.  They get Stauskas who may not ever be any better than the European players that Sac gets, and a protected first round pick.  I don't think the swaps will ever be worth much if anything.

For Sac, they get to clean out some dead salary which can be hard to do.  This trade in of itself is not a win for Sac either but they could turn it into a win by making the right signings (which I am skeptical they will do).  If they botch the FA part of this deal, it doesn't mean it is a bad trade or more of a win for Philly though (at least not directly).

If their big move is Rondo/Ellis, I don't see Sac being any better or worse.  I see the lottery for both of these teams for several years to come.
You say you think both teams are in the lottery for several years.  Last season, the Sixers finished with the 3rd worst record and the Kings finished with the 6th worse record.  Where do you think the Sixers and Kings will finish next season and the following season?
Fwiw, Philly had a top 12 defense last year... and post-allstar they actually had the best defense in the league when Noel was on the court. 

Add Okafor, Embiid, a couple vets and some shooting... it could be interesting.  They won 18 games with d-leaguers.   A competent GM could make them a playoff team sooner than I think most people realize.  They will be able to trade their least favorite big for an all-star caliber player or a haul of assets.   You can make the playoffs with a losing record in the East.  Having the ability to swap picks with the Kings, who haven't made the playoffs in 9 years, could be huge if Cousins gets moved.

« Reply #113 on: July 03, 2015, 06:15:33 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Fwiw, Philly had a top 12 defense last year... and post-allstar they actually had the best defense in the league when Noel was on the court. 

Add Okafor, Embiid, a couple vets and some shooting... it could be interesting.  They won 18 games with d-leaguers.   A competent GM could make them a playoff team sooner than I think most people realize.  They will be able to trade their least favorite big for an all-star caliber player or a haul of assets.   You can make the playoffs with a losing record in the East.  Having the ability to swap picks with the Kings, who haven't made the playoffs in 9 years, could be huge if Cousins gets moved.
The Sixers want to be a championship contender not just a playoff team.  They could add a few mediocre vets to make the playoffs but that's not what they want.  Now if their young folks step up and get them into the playoffs I'm sure they'd be happy with that.  The Sixers bashers just see the tanking and don't get how much player development is part of their process.  I really like their overall strategy and their commitment to it. 

« Reply #114 on: July 03, 2015, 09:43:07 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
What year of tanking will this be in their process. When do they turn the switch and try to win games? By then will all their young players be satisfied with losing and never have a winning mentality?

« Reply #115 on: July 03, 2015, 09:52:28 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Feel so bad for Kings fans.... always.  But continue to.

Listened to the Lowe podcast with Zeller and they were discussing if Sac would possibly back out of the trade now even as dishonorable as that would be.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #116 on: July 03, 2015, 09:54:07 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

So yeah, Smart does more.  Smart is a better defender.   Stauskas might end up a better scorer.  Fair to note that Stauskas was sharing touches with Cousins (24.1ppg), Gay (21.1ppg), Collison (16.1ppg) and McLemore (12.1ppg).   Smart was more or less given the keys to a low-rent offense built around starters Avery Bradley (13.9ppg) and Brandon Bass (10.6ppg). 

Defense can't be ignored and it seems like Stauskas is bad enough that he might be more suited to a bench scorer role when he reaches his peak.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #117 on: July 03, 2015, 10:11:52 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
What year of tanking will this be in their process. When do they turn the switch and try to win games? By then will all their young players be satisfied with losing and never have a winning mentality?

Don't think they'll really tank this year. They'll be bad, but they will probably slot in around the 4th-8th worst team in the NBA.

Similar to maybe the Magic of last year.

If they sign a decent young PG, Cory Jospeh maybe, they'll probably be over 30 wins.

« Reply #118 on: July 03, 2015, 10:18:05 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Mike
Eh...

First of all.... Sacramento Kings. 

Second of all... Sacramento Kings

Third of all... They had three coaches last season

Forth, Ben McLemore was horrible as a rookie and made major progress in his second year. 

Fifth, a year ago the majority of this board was telling me Stauskas was better than McLemore.  I disagreed.   Both were elite shooters in College

Sixth, when George Karl showed up, Stauskas made real progress.  He shot lights-out in the month of March... there is more evidence to suggest that Stauskas is an elite shooter than otherwise.

Seventh, this has NOTHING TO DO WITH PHILLY.  Just feel compelled to reiterate that.  I had a thread a week before the draft suggesting we trade #16 for Stauskas.  So before anyone tries to pin this on my love-affair with Philly... you're wrong.

Eight, Stauskas was thought to be a 3rd tier prospect last year with Gary Harris and Doug McDermott (ahead of Payton and Nurkic, apparently... proof that pre-draft tiers aren't perfect).  I had him 10th on my board.  This year, the "3rd tier" prospects included Winslow, WCS and Hezonja.  Celtics apparently were considering Stauskas at #6

Lastly...  Stauskas made real progress during the second half of the season.  I'm in no way suggesting Stauskas is on the same level as Marcus Smart.  Clearly not.  Smart is unquestionably our best asset.  Nik Stauskas was just given away for free.   Nobody would suggest that Stauskas is a better asset than Smart.  There's a reason why Smart was taken 2 picks ahead of Stauskas.   That said, let's look at their production over the second half... inflated over 36 minutes:

Post all-star stats projected over 36 minutes:

Nik Stauskas:  12.2 points, 2.4 assists, 3 rebounds, 0.5 steals 42%/42%/86%
Marcus Smart:  10.8 points, 3.1 assists, 4.5 rebounds, 2.3 steals, 36%/31%/62%

If you're curious about what they did in College here's their per-40 stats:
Stauskas:  19.7 points, 3.7 assists, 3.3 rebounds, 0.6 steals, 47%/44%/82%
Smart:  22 points, 5.8 assists, 7.2 rebounds, 3.5 steals 42%/29%/73%

Also, Ben McLemore started all 82 games for the Kings this year.  Stauskas had limited bench role from the beginning.   He started exactly 1 game... where he put up 14 points, 5 assists, 5 rebounds, 2 steals on 56% shooting and 3/4 from three.  Stauskas was never given the same opportunity as Smart.

I, for one, will be very interested to see what Stauskas does with a sizable role in Philly.  That's a team that has an intriguing interior presence, but will need an outside shooter for kick-outs.   You're saying Stauskas sucks.  Unless you believed he sucked heading into the draft, you might want to rethink your hot take.

Saying Stauskus sucked is not a "hot take."  It is the ability to recognize reality.  I could trot out stat after stat after stat to demonstrate that but I won't, for the same reason that I don't feel the need to produce evidence that water is wet or night is dark.

I will merely point out...

1.  You show more enthusiasm for Nik Stauskus and Anthony Freakin' Bennett than anyone on the team of whom you are supposedly a fan.

2.  Post-all-star break, Boston was playing at a pace to win over 50 games for a full season.

3.  Referring to a player's pre-draft reputation and college stats after we've already seen how he plays in the pros is one of the mistakes that idiot GMs make to keep their franchises for years and years.  Michael Beasley was really well regarded before he was drafted.  Are you upset Ainge hasn't signed him?

Again, if you don't want people getting irritated with your ridiculous arguments...STOP MAKING RIDICULOUS ARGUMENTS.

Mike

« Reply #119 on: July 03, 2015, 10:19:06 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

Defense can't be ignored and it seems like Stauskas is bad enough that he might be more suited to a bench scorer role when he reaches his peak.

He's a slightly worse shooting, slightly more athletic, slightly weaker JJ Reddick if he tops out his potential.