Author Topic: Jason Thompson, Carl Landry & Nik Stauskas traded to Philadelphia 76ers  (Read 30480 times)

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
That's how you use cap space as a rebuilding team, folks.

How's that?

By acquiring 3 crappy players.

I don't get it.

Take on the contracts of two guys who can still play a little and in return you get a smattering of lesser draft and player assets along with a top 10 pick from last year's draft.  Gamble that his team -- notorious for screwing up player development -- simply failed to get anything out of him in his rookie season. 

Oh, and you also get a future protected 1st?  Awesome.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

How's that?

I don't get it.

Take on the contracts of two guys who can still play a little and in return you get a smattering of lesser draft and player assets along with a top 10 pick from last year's draft.  Gamble that his team -- notorious for screwing up player development -- simply failed to get anything out of him in his rookie season. 

Maybe it's just me, but I am not impressed.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

How's that?

I don't get it.

If you don't intend to compete any time soon, for sure... at some point they need to stop though, but it seems like they'll keep the ball rolling.

I thought personally this was a good year to start making actual moves to improve the team, I think it's going to be a bit tougher afterwards.

But we'll see. This is a very good trade for them anyways.

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

Thank god I am not a Sixers fan. Wake me up when they win 40 games, never mind contend for a title.

Go Sixers ...in 2025.

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
Zach Lowe @ZachLowe_NBA
Sixers will receive a protected 1st-round pick from the Kings, and swap rights w/ Sacto in the 1st round of two other drafts, sources say.

I bet the swap rights never get enforced.
I don't know about that. If I could bet on one team imploding spectacularly in the next 24 months I'm betting the house on the Sacramento Kings - especially if they sign Rondo. Cousins, Karl and that diva Rondo will be a ticking time bomb.

If the swaps are unprotected that is a huge opportunity to land the #1 pick IMO.

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1997
Sauce Castillo on the Sixers.  At least he'll get playing time, but probably not the ideal place for his development.

Hopefully that Sac pick is heavily protected.

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
This sounds like a good deal for the Sixers.  Taking on an additional 16mil this year should only put their team salary around 50mil.  So they would still have room to make another similar deal.  They'll probably work buyouts with Landry and Thompson.  I would not be surprised if Stauskas looks a lot better in Philly. 

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Seems like Philly is the leagues go to trash can for dumps.

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Seems like Philly is the leagues go to trash can for dumps.
That's how rebuilding teams should use their cap space.  Assuming of course they can't use it to acquire a star. 

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
League source confirms the #sixers get the Kings 2018 1st round pick (at earliest) and right to swap 1st rd pick with Kings in 2016 + 2017. - via Derek Bodner on twitter

i mean......i hate Hinkie, but this is bordering on absurd.....obviously a great deal for philly.....and here we sit signing Amir Johnson for 2 years.......

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Stauskas in Philly ?  Dude shot 42%/42%/86% post all-star game.  This is wonderful news for my fantasy basketball team.   I like it.   

Funny that a year ago 90% of this forum was telling me he was better than ben mclemore and now everyone dismisses him like he's garbage.  He was the 8th pick and was taken for his shooting ability.  Another Hinkie steal.

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
This sounds like a good deal for the Sixers.  Taking on an additional 16mil this year should only put their team salary around 50mil.  So they would still have room to make another similar deal.  They'll probably work buyouts with Landry and Thompson.  I would not be surprised if Stauskas looks a lot better in Philly.

I'm sure those two vets are going to want all their money. Sixers got Stauskas who was awful last year, but showed some spark of life after the ASG.  The first round is 2018 at best and the protection is as of yet unknown. The swaps will only be useful if Sixers are better than the Kings and the Sixers look like they're built to tank for a couple of more years yet. IOW, this may end up being a better deal for SAC who dumped over $30-40 MM in future salary obligations. OTOH, it'stough to believe that Kings couldn't screw this up royally.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/sacramento_kings/

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Stauskas in Philly ?  Dude shot 42%/42%/86% post all-star game.  This is wonderful news for my fantasy basketball team.   I like it.   

Funny that a year ago 90% of this forum was telling me he was better than ben mclemore and now everyone dismisses him like he's garbage.  He was the 8th pick and was taken for his shooting ability.  Another Hinkie steal.

I think people are writing Stauskas off way too early.  He struggled to start the season as most rookies do and he played for three head coaches.  The guy can flat out shoot and has decent ball handling skills.  He also has good size for a sg and tested well athletically at the combine.

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
League source confirms the #sixers get the Kings 2018 1st round pick (at earliest) and right to swap 1st rd pick with Kings in 2016 + 2017. - via Derek Bodner on twitter

i mean......i hate Hinkie, but this is bordering on absurd.....obviously a great deal for philly.....and here we sit signing Amir Johnson for 2 years.......

Not necessarily.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I think people are writing Stauskas off way too early.  He struggled to start the season as most rookies do and he played for three head coaches.  The guy can flat out shoot and has decent ball handling skills.  He also has good size for a sg and tested well athletically at the combine.
I would have gladly traded #16 for stauskas. Frankly, I'll be completely shocked of Harry hozier ends up having a better career. 

I'm disgusted with our offseason so far.  I hate that Hinkie keeps making moves that make me look like a 76ers fan. Maybe he's been stalking me.