Author Topic: James Young puts on 20lbs of muscle  (Read 20691 times)

Re: James Young puts on 20lbs of muscle
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2015, 04:27:08 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
That should help him actually play SF, which is the position his skillset is more fit for anyway. Great news.
I think his skills are much better suited for the 2, so does Young. He will have a clear advantage over most 2's in the league, and will be able to get his shot off when he pleases.
I hope we end up getting a tall and long athletic 3, just so it forces teams to play their 2 straight up against James.

« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2015, 04:29:20 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
That should help him actually play SF, which is the position his skillset is more fit for anyway. Great news.
I think his skills are much better suited for the 2, so does Young. He will have a clear advantage over most 2's in the league, and will be able to get his shot off when he pleases.
I hope we end up getting a tall and long athletic 3, just so it forces teams to play their 2 straight up against James.

Let's not get carried away here. I hope he does as well as you expect but he will have a "clear advantage over most 2's in the league"? Can you please tell me team by team which starting 2's he has a "clear advantage" over?

« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2015, 04:37:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
There was a blog dedicated to all these ridiculous "20 pounds of muscle" cliche propaganda quotes.   I can't find it.  I found one similar from last year:

http://allball.blogs.nba.com/category/musclewatch/

#musclewatch, baby!  ...  James young + every other underwhelming player has just put on 10-20 pounds of muscle.   Yippie.

« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2015, 04:38:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
There's a whole blog dedicated to offseason "20 pounds of muscle" comments.  Search for it... It's funny.

Typically it's 15lbs. of Muscle. Lang Wittaker used to run it on NBA.com:
http://allball.blogs.nba.com/category/musclewatch/

But, yes, it is one of the more pernicious offseason cliches.
Yeah there was another, but I can't find it.  That's basically the same thing, though.

« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2015, 04:41:47 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
... so why is it a bad thing to add muscle?

I know it can be overhyped but getting stronger is a good thing.  There's more important things easily but you're just trying to be negative.  No surprise...

For Young, getting stronger is big because he had no presence on defense and was easily pushed around.  His defense is the biggest concern for sure.  Last year he was maybe the worst defender I've seen play in the NBA, no exaggeration.

He's so young that I'm patient.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2015, 04:53:39 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I know it can be overhyped but getting stronger is a good thing. 
It's fine.  He's one of the youngest players in the league.  Guys that age are expected to have their body develop.   If he hadn't put on 20 pounds of muscle, I'd be really concerned.   A guy that size can put on 20 pounds of muscle easily. 

Nobody is suggesting that him getting into NBA shape is a bad thing.  It's just a very cliche thing you see dozens of times during the offseason "so-and-so looks fit!... he put on 15-20 pounds of muscle!"...  Hopefully Young can develop his basketball skills. 

« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2015, 04:55:26 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

I know it can be overhyped but getting stronger is a good thing.  There's more important things easily but you're just trying to be negative.  No surprise...

For Young, getting stronger is big because he had no presence on defense and was easily pushed around.  His defense is the biggest concern for sure.  Last year he was maybe the worst defender I've seen play in the NBA, no exaggeration.

He's so young that I'm patient.

The point is that it's a meaningless cliche that gets bandied about every offseason and doesn't actually mean anything. It's the equivalent of "both teams played hard" for training camp.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2015, 08:38:33 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

https://mobile.twitter.com/ESPNForsberg/status/617095200280825856

"James Young hype train is pulling into Stevens Station. Hey Brad, does Young look different this summer? " - Forsberg

"Way different.  Just from a physical standpoint, he's bigger, stronger.  I think he's got a much better feel for how the game is played.  I think he has a much better understanding of where he can be impactful on both ends.  I'm encouraged by his play and I'm intrigued to see him play." - Stevens

« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2015, 08:55:37 PM »

Offline Nikki8

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
With not of being able to trade up in the draft (it takes two teams and I guess nobody wanted to move down) and not being able to sign any top free agents (I don't understand why players go to Milwaukee, Charlotte and Indiana but not Boston)  James Young to me is one of the most important players on the team. He and Smart really need to step up this year.

« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2015, 08:58:08 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I can't wait to see him Monday just what he looks like
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2015, 09:53:54 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Summer league will be a good experience for our young players and rookies to bond and just compete against other youngsters in the league.  Of course the level of competition is not NBA-level, but it will also allow our coaches a chance to see these guys and hopefully 'coach them up' in preparation for the upcoming NBA season.

There are many past stories of players who dominate in summer league, but come up empty in the NBA but it's still fun to see them doing well.  I want to see if Rozier can edge out Pressey.  IF Mickey can be a 'rim protector', if KO further develops his confidence, if Marcus Smart regained some explosiveness to his stride, and if James Young takes his game, not just his body, to the next level.

« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2015, 06:58:10 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Surprised about the skepticism on Young. I am far from alarmed that he didn't have a great rookie year.  At that age, who did? Kobe was showing signs in his rookie year.

Maybe we don't have a future Kobe here, but let's see what he does this year. He's going to be good.

« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2015, 08:07:24 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I expect all 19 year old non-lottery picks to STRUGGLE in the NBA.

Young was and is no different.  And I think he will progress this year, next year, and so on.

« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2015, 08:40:01 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I realize cynicism is king around here, and I run the risk of being jeered and mocked for my naiveté, but, dare I say . . . I find the good reports about James Young encouraging.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2015, 08:47:47 AM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 36
Young could be a perfect fit for this system in the future if he keeps working hard.

Got a question. Would he be better at the 2 or the 3? At the 2 he'll have the size advantage on most 2s while at the 3 he will have a speed advantage on bigger 3s.