Author Topic: Dallas looks like they are striking out, Good news for pick c's own?  (Read 17939 times)

Re: Dallas looks like they are striking out, Good news for pick c's own?
« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2015, 11:09:14 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Best case scenario, Jordan without CP3 struggles but Carlisle is too good of a coach for the team to drop out entirely.

Yeah. I do think that Jordan made a massive mistake going from playing with CP3 to... JJ Barea?? He might not even look like a max player by the end of the year as he relied so much on CP3 to generate offense for him on the Clips. Nonetheless this looks like a playoff team, but it's hardly a sure thing. The West is brutal. To me the tiers are:

GSW Rockets Spurs
OKC Clips Grizz
Mavs NO
Jazz Portland Suns

I'd put it at ~60% for them to make the playoffs, but even if they don't it isn't like we're getting a 10 pick. It would be like 14.

« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2015, 12:11:41 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Best case scenario, Jordan without CP3 struggles but Carlisle is too good of a coach for the team to drop out entirely.

Yeah. I do think that Jordan made a massive mistake going from playing with CP3 to... JJ Barea?? He might not even look like a max player by the end of the year as he relied so much on CP3 to generate offense for him on the Clips. Nonetheless this looks like a playoff team, but it's hardly a sure thing. The West is brutal. To me the tiers are:

GSW Rockets Spurs
OKC Clips Grizz
Mavs NO
Jazz Portland Suns

I'd put it at ~60% for them to make the playoffs, but even if they don't it isn't like we're getting a 10 pick. It would be like 14.
How are the Clips on the same level as OKC and Grizz after losing Jordan?  Jordan's importance to the Clips is being significantly underestimated.  Jordan just got his max contract.  I think he was smart to get away from CP3 and will do just fine without him.  I expect Parsons/Jordan to be a good pick and roll combo.  Dirk/Jordan will be a good fit.  Getting a better PG shouldn't be a big deal.  The Mavs big question is Mathew's recovery. 

« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2015, 12:52:23 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Dallas could really go either way. On paper, they look like a good solid team and if all they need is a PG, that should be a fairly easy position to fill.

However, I look at a team like Utah and wonder why they aren't mentioned on the same tier. Gobert is a year older and should provide great rim protection like Jordan. Parsons and Hayward are quite similar. Favors is continuing to gain experience and while he certainly isn't 'prime' Dirk, he could have a comparable impact. I'd even give the edge to Utah's backcourt.

I get it, I am probably being a bit too optimistic about Utah, but they are just one example. The Clips two best players are better than anybody on the Mavs roster, the Suns continue to improve, Davis and the Pelicans seem ready to make that next step. Heck, the Wolves have tons of young talent with some solid veteran leadership.

Things couldn't have gone worse with that Clips pick last year, let's hope we do better this year.

« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2015, 12:59:41 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
I've gotta think that Dallas makes the playoffs now with DJ, particularly if Matthews is healthy. They'll be a 7th or 8th seed with their pick ending up around 18-20.

Mike

« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2015, 01:11:29 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I've gotta think that Dallas makes the playoffs now with DJ, particularly if Matthews is healthy. They'll be a 7th or 8th seed with their pick ending up around 18-20.

Mike

Mavs ....are very very thin ......with old players to boot.    I'd bet somebody important get nicked up ......that sinks their ship .

« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2015, 01:12:01 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
At some point Dirk will fall apart.

« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2015, 01:27:47 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Players like Dirk tend to decline pretty slowly though. He'll be able to hit that step-back J until he's 50. He can't guard anyone but that was never his strong suit anyway.

He could tear an ACL or something, but I don't think we'll see him fall off a cliff like Shaq or other players whose bodies broke down fairly quickly.

I see the Mavs as a solid 50-win team. They are in the mix for Lin who's passable and should have a good starting 5. They just need to corral a couple of decent rotation guys off the bench...

« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2015, 01:47:03 PM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86

Mike

I feel like everyone is over rating Matthews, and I love his game.

The fact is that father time and achilles injuries are undefeated, no one has ever come back the same player after that injury.

« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2015, 01:54:32 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
For all his defensive prowess Jordan only lead the Clippers to 8th best Defensive team in the Western conference.
Dallas was ranked 10th last season in the West.
With the abuse that they will suffer at the point guard spot on an almost nightly basis in my mind Dallas will be in an uphill battle to end the season above .500.That is with a full season of Jordan and Dirk, any type of setback and they could struggle to get to 30 wins.

« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2015, 01:59:50 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

Mike

I feel like everyone is over rating Matthews, and I love his game.

The fact is that father time and achilles injuries are undefeated, no one has ever come back the same player after that injury.
There is some truth to your claim:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/fantasy-basketball-today/25095586/history-not-kind-for-ruptured-achilles

Take note of Nique. You are technically wrong based on his history.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 02:14:50 PM by guava_wrench »

« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2015, 02:03:04 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

Players like Dirk tend to decline pretty slowly though. He'll be able to hit that step-back J until he's 50. He can't guard anyone but that was never his strong suit anyway.

He could tear an ACL or something, but I don't think we'll see him fall off a cliff like Shaq or other players whose bodies broke down fairly quickly.

I see the Mavs as a solid 50-win team. They are in the mix for Lin who's passable and should have a good starting 5. They just need to corral a couple of decent rotation guys off the bench...
When you are the offensive focal point for your team, the decline can have an oversized impact on the team. Teams just become easier to defend as their elite player becomes less elite. Granted, the fact that Dirk doesn't jump hard will help.

DJ will help cover up his defense though.

« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2015, 02:14:16 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

Mike

This is an exaggeration.  Nate Archibald came back from a catastrophic achilles injury.  In 1981 he was the MVP of the All Star game, the starting point guard of the world champion Celtics and an all NBA second teamer.  At this time he was over the age of 30.