Author Topic: Dallas looks like they are striking out, Good news for pick c's own?  (Read 17952 times)

Dallas Mavericks Free Agency (2016 1st Round Pick)
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2015, 11:35:57 PM »

Offline Yenohb

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 73
 ;D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 11:53:38 PM by Yenohb »

Re: Dallas Mavericks Free Agency (2016 1st Round Pick)
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2015, 11:37:16 PM »

Offline Yenohb

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 73
Looks like just wishful thinking..

The Dallas Mavericks made a big push Wednesday during their presentation with center DeAndre Jordan, trying to sell the Clippers' unrestricted free agent on how he can prosper with the team.

One person who was aware of the roughly 2 1/2-hour meeting said that “Dallas set the bar high” for the other teams that are going to follow with their pitches to Jordan.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 11:56:19 PM by Yenohb »

Re: Dallas looks like they are striking out, Good news for pick c's own?
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2015, 12:04:10 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If Dallas falls inside the top 7 (without winning the lottery) it will be hard for them to dig back out of that hole and make the playoffs again the following year in the West.  It's top 7 protected for awhile --- so what if we get #8-12 in 2017 vs. 2016? Might be better if you think about, as that way we'd have 2 picks in the 1st each in 2016 and 2017, instead of 3 and 1.  So don't feet of Dallas goes full tank -- that pick will come, and it will be a good one.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 12:28:06 AM by saltlover »

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2015, 12:24:00 AM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1997
Dallas is having a really rough go at it... so far anyway.  Sounds like they're striking out on their major targets.  Basically, they're waiting on DeAndre Jordan, who may re-sign with LAC, and Wes Matthews, who is drawing interest from Sacramento and Toronto.  If they lose out on those two, it's not looking good for them.

http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2015/6/30/8869863/2015-nba-free-agency-rumors-dallas-mavericks

But hey, they're showing some interest in Jeremy Lin (who needs a change of scenery) and Carlos Boozer.

Re: Dallas Mavericks Free Agency (2016 1st Round Pick)
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2015, 12:48:39 AM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Looks like just wishful thinking..

The Dallas Mavericks made a big push Wednesday during their presentation with center DeAndre Jordan, trying to sell the Clippers' unrestricted free agent on how he can prosper with the team.

One person who was aware of the roughly 2 1/2-hour meeting said that “Dallas set the bar high” for the other teams that are going to follow with their pitches to Jordan.

I'm not sure DeAndre even gets them to the playoffs next season.  Jordan's a better long term piece than Tyson Chandler due to the age difference, but he's a minor upgrade over Chandler next season.  With Chandler and guys like Monta Ellis, Rondo, and Al Farouq Aminu, they were a 7 seed (and that's including their 20-7 record before the Rondo trade).  Assuming Jordan gets a max deal, Dallas is going to have about $15 million to sign a starting backcourt and any bench players other than Devin Harris and Raymond Felton.  In this market, there's no way they're going to upgrade their backcourt from last season, Nowitzki will be another year older, Parsons will be coming off an injury, and they're also going to have to fend off OKC, Phoenix, and Utah, with only Portland likely to get worse of the teams ahead of them.  Even with Jordan, Dallas could well be in the lottery next year.

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2015, 01:19:51 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Did they definitely lose Monta Ellis already?  I can't find it... to who and for how much?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2015, 02:13:41 AM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Did they definitely lose Monta Ellis already?  I can't find it... to who and for how much?

As far as I know he hasn't signed anywhere, but he opted out of his contract and apparently he was a problem in the locker room.  He's not expected to return. 

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2015, 03:05:28 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
another meaningless pick...
 Maybe the Celtics can lure Zaza Pechulia in nexts years FA!!

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2015, 03:24:25 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

As far as I know he hasn't signed anywhere, but he opted out of his contract and apparently he was a problem in the locker room.  He's not expected to return.
Crazy to think that they walked away from both Rondo and Ellis due to character issues. Definitely good news for us.

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2015, 07:30:13 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
The Kings cleaered cap for Matthews and with the Pierce signing if Dj wants to win he better pickthe clips. We are going to be blessed with thes pick. Minn is also goimng to rise next year too. Kings will rise too. I don't think Karl has ever missed the playoffs. Thank you Rajon Rondo
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2015, 10:04:02 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Looking very good right now.
just gotta prey that Mathews and D Jordan don't  go there and we're  golden.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2015, 10:30:01 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
They could be baaaaad. I think they're as likely to be top-7 as they are to be in the playoffs. I bet it turns into a #10 pick.

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2015, 10:31:31 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Dallas is having a really rough go at it... so far anyway.  Sounds like they're striking out on their major targets.  Basically, they're waiting on DeAndre Jordan, who may re-sign with LAC, and Wes Matthews, who is drawing interest from Sacramento and Toronto.  If they lose out on those two, it's not looking good for them.

http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2015/6/30/8869863/2015-nba-free-agency-rumors-dallas-mavericks

But hey, they're showing some interest in Jeremy Lin (who needs a change of scenery) and Carlos Boozer.

Yes, this is why I think it was a smart move of DA to sign Crowder sooner rather than later. WHen and if Dallas strikes out on these other guys, they wouldve started bidding for Crowder --
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2015, 11:17:02 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
If Dallas falls inside the top 7 (without winning the lottery) it will be hard for them to dig back out of that hole and make the playoffs again the following year in the West.  It's top 7 protected for awhile --- so what if we get #8-12 in 2017 vs. 2016? Might be better if you think about, as that way we'd have 2 picks in the 1st each in 2016 and 2017, instead of 3 and 1.  So don't feet of Dallas goes full tank -- that pick will come, and it will be a good one.

I would be fine with it either way.

There's a real legit chance that they are bad enough to be in the lottery this year but good enough to not be in the bottom 7, which means the pick would convey.

Between our own pick, the Nets pick and the Mavs pick we could dang well have 3 lottery picks next year. Two chances at a #1 overall if we win it. I get that people are tuned out to the idea of trading up in the draft, but if we have say picks 7, 11 and 14, how can a team at looking to trade out at #4 turn that down?

I get that people are upset about MJ turning down that deal Danny offered him, but it doesn't make all our picks less valuable. We don't even know how valuable they are yet.

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2015, 11:23:12 AM »

Offline JoeyAinge

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
Devin Harris
Justin Anderson
Chandler Parsons
Dirk
Amare???

It's not necessarily lottery bound , but probably a better starting 5 then our Firework celtics. In all honesty, but def not a playoff team in the west... Aka perfect for us.

Even if they bring back Monte Ellis, honestly even if they get DeAndre... I think New Orleans and Phoenix are right there with them arguably much better.