Author Topic: Danny is A Great GM. Love the Moves  (Read 6622 times)

Danny is A Great GM. Love the Moves
« on: July 01, 2015, 06:45:50 PM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
Ainge is a great GM.

1. I love his draft. At #16 he didn't cave and  get who you thought he should get. None of  the haters were there for the two workouts. We will see if Rozier is better than Portis or Dekker. My suspicion is he will.  This kid has a potential to be a Gary Payton talent.
RJ Hunter  is ahead of James Young out of college, he and Mickey are both top college talents. For all you hater, "Who did you want him to take?" No team wanted to trade with him.

2. He is not overpaying for Semi Top Level FA's. All the big names are not coming here(not for the sake of not trying). He is not being stupid with money.

3.Amir Johnson is not a bad deal. 2 years with the 2nd not guaranteed is short money. He will be replacing Brandon Bass. How much money do you think Bass wants to get?  I like Bass, but AJ is younger and a better defender.

JJ for 2 years.
Jae Crowder for 5/$7m
These are win win deals.

Do you want DA to be like the Sox? Pay 20M for an always hurt Ok hitter who never played Left field or a chubby 3rd baseman who is an average player.

Ainge is a master poker player. When the time comes to go all in, he will do it. Until it's time, he will fold and accumulate more chips.

There is plenty of cap room and next year even more.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 12:06:23 AM by Pucaccia »

Re: Danny is A Great GM. Love the Moves
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 06:48:11 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Lies

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 06:51:05 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Pros:  Tons of draft picks, young assets and cap space.   Very bright future.  Now let's look at that.

Draft picks:   We tried offering 6 of them to move up from 16 to 9.  We couldn't do it.

Young assets:   We struck out on our attempt to trade for Love last year and seemingly have struck out on our attempt to trade for Cousins this year.  Marcus Smart + addition picks wasn't enough to get us the #4 pick this year.  Nobody wants what we have to offer.

Rookies:  We used the #16 pick to draft someone projected in the 2nd round.  It's unlikely any of those rookies will make an impact in the NBA.   If Jerry Hozier and Jackson Buggs were on another team, you wouldn't think anything of them.

Cap space:  We had 23 mil in theroetical cap space... seemingly the first time in the history of this team that we had room to sign a max contract.   We just blew 17 mil of that cap space on Amir Johnson (3rd string forward) and Jonas Jerebko (4th string forward).  We now have 6 mil in cap space... but that's only if we renounce Crowder and Bass.  In other words... We don't have cap space.

I think Danny is a Great GM too... but this team looks poised to rejoin the lotto next season.  If you were expecting us to make improvements, it's hard not to see this as a complete failure.   I had faith... but at this point, I think we're more likely to see Brad Stevens jump ship than we are seeing Boston contend next year. 

Welcome to basketball hell, gentlemen.   There's no obvious way out of this.

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 06:51:29 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
every team in the nba will have max cap space next year

We have maybe 1 legit starter on the team in Marcus smart

we have middle 1st rd picks

good luck bringing in talent with those assets

Tobias Harris would have at least been a young asset with borderline all-star potential,

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 06:54:07 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Pros:  Tons of draft picks, young assets and cap space.   Very bright future.  Now let's look at that.

Draft picks:   We tried offering 6 of them to move up from 16 to 9.  We couldn't do it.

Young assets:   We struck out on our attempt to trade for Love last year and seemingly have struck out on our attempt to trade for Cousins this year.  Marcus Smart + addition picks wasn't enough to get us the #4 pick this year.  Nobody wants what we have to offer.

Rookies:  We used the #16 pick to draft someone projected in the 2nd round.  It's unlikely any of those rookies will make an impact in the NBA.   They are scrubs.

Cap space:  We had 23 mil in theroetical cap space... seemingly the first time in the history of this team that we had room to sign a max contract.   We just blew 17 mil of that cap space on Amir Johnson (3rd string forward) and Jonas Jerebko (4th string forward).  We now have 6 mil in cap space... but that's only if we renounce Crowder and Bass.  In other words... We don't have cap space.

I think Danny is a Great GM too... but this team looks poised to rejoin the lotto next season.  If you were expecting us to make improvements, it's hard not to see this as a complete failure.   I had faith... but at this point, I think we're more likely to see Brad Stevens jump ship than we are seeing Boston contend next year. 

come on lb. those arguments  your trot out have been handled in other threads. let's not simply repeat old points shall we?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 06:56:05 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Rookies:  We used the #16 pick to draft someone projected in the 2nd round.  It's unlikely any of those rookies will make an impact in the NBA.   They are scrubs.

come on lb. those arguments  your trot out have been handled in other threads. let's not simply repeat old points shall we?
I'm finding it really hard to see a bright side right now.   This is looking like a complete failure.

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 06:56:30 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
The Celtics 2015 draft class...
Isaiah Thomas, Terry Rozier, R.J. Hunter, Jordan Mickey, and Marcus Thornton.
Now we are adding Amir and the Swede. Still room for more.
We were 24-12 in our last 36 games.
Tons of future picks as well.
Fun to watch all the complaining.

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 07:01:56 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
The problem I have is this team seems to be going full speed ahead towards.... Average.

I'll give Danny the benefit of the doubt as free agency and the offseason is not over.  But as of right now, the direction of this team is very boring and mediocre.

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 07:04:55 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
The problem I have is this team seems to be going full speed ahead towards.... Average.

I'll give Danny the benefit of the doubt as free agency and the offseason is not over.  But as of right now, the direction of this team is very boring and mediocre.
This team is the very definition of "perpetual mediocrity" right now.   If someone out there thinks we can swap Brandon Bass for Amir Johnson and go from a borderline lotto team to contender, I respectfully must say you don't understand basketball.

We'll see what happens... but my enthusiasm for this team hasn't been this low since pre Paul Pierce.

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 07:05:33 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
this team looks poised to rejoin the lotto next season. 

Yet probably in the 12-14 range.  Team appears like it'll be good enough to muddle around in the middle.

Flip side, the Celts will probably end up with 2 more picks in that general area of the draft.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 07:08:12 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
this team looks poised to rejoin the lotto next season. 

Yet probably in the 12-14 range.  Team appears like it'll be good enough to muddle around in the middle.

Flip side, the Celts will probably end up with 2 more picks in that general area of the draft.
Cool... if we combine those two picks with another 4, maybe can finally trade into the Top 10 next year.

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 07:22:55 PM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
Everyone needs to chill out about the signings this summer.  The signings have enough fail-safes to move the contracts easily, especially after this season.  Johnson and Jerebko are older players that have more experience, and I think Danny is looking to mature this team in preparation for that big fish in the next couple of years.
Also the picks are not going to really contribute much this year. Its just like James Young last year and Bradley in his first year. They are going to spend it on the bench and in Maine.  So this talk or demands of trading one of the backcourt players, usually its been Bradley, needs to stop. We are going to be fun to watch, lets just leave it at that, shall we?

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 07:24:22 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Yup......to much talent. ..in a crowd of tankers  ...to pick in the top five

We re stuck with a 35 - 40 win team

This going to,sound dumb

But it may play out like this

The rest of the EAST will get so much better ......Celtics will finally be where they belong ....at the bottom of the heap ....and then can get some new star talent .

The rest of the EAST needs to get ALOT better ....so the Celtics can rebuild.

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 07:25:57 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
It's really premature to say anything.  We don't know what Danny has up his sleeve the rest of this offseason and we don't know how the young guys and future draft picks will pan out over the years. 

I think Danny is keeping himself in a pretty good position.  What he does with that position only time can tell. 

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 07:29:43 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Rookies:  We used the #16 pick to draft someone projected in the 2nd round.  It's unlikely any of those rookies will make an impact in the NBA.   If Jerry Hozier and Jackson Buggs were on another team, you wouldn't think anything of them.

This is just impatience and frustration -- plain and simple. The Cs are far more likely to make a leap via trade than free agency.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)