Author Topic: Current Trade Exception targets  (Read 2783 times)

Current Trade Exception targets
« on: July 01, 2015, 05:06:59 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Now is a very good time for Ainge to be shopping the TEs he has to teams very eager to clear some salary for addition of FAs.

There's been no mentioned of Millsap back to Utah recently, which kills the potential for a Favors for TE plus picks deal. Wonder who else Ainge is discussing right now. The most obvious teams to be seem to be:

Sacramento
Phoenix
Houston
Raptors
Memphis
Clippers
Bulls
Nuggets

Anyone see others? What (realistic) players could be had?

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Current Trade Exception targets
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 05:11:31 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Now is a very good time for Ainge to be shopping the TEs he has to teams very eager to clear some salary for addition of FAs.

There's been no mentioned of Millsap back to Utah recently, which kills the potential for a Favors for TE plus picks deal. Wonder who else Ainge is discussing right now. The most obvious teams to be seem to be:

Sacramento
Phoenix
Houston
Raptors
Memphis
Clippers
Bulls
Nuggets

Anyone see others? What (realistic) players could be had?
I could be wrong but I am pretty confident Amir Johnson was signed with cap space meaning we had to renounce all our TE's
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 05:14:31 PM »

Offline Mlewis1392

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
Perry jones!!

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 05:22:46 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
We still have space (after he signs), and Johnson doesn't sign until 7/9. So i think they're still in play, depending on what we do between now and then.

This per Gary Washburn, though he's typically wrong:

gary washburn ?@GwashburnGlobe:
#celtics have a few more ways to make moves this summer: two trade exceptions and Gerald Wallace's expiring contract.

Anyone? Roy?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 05:37:29 PM »

Offline KingChre

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 21
I could be wrong but I am pretty confident Amir Johnson was signed with cap space meaning we had to renounce all our TE's

You are correct. Unless Johnson was acquired using the Rondo TPE, they will have to renounce their own free agents in order to technically create the cap space required to sign Johnson outright. I would suggest reading Larry Coon's excellent website on the salary cap for more info, but here is the piece on TPE's.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q83

Essentially, they have to choose between signing free agents or using the TPE's. Right now we don't know how the contracts are structured with regard to the CBA (i.e. signed outright or a sign-and-trade situation) so we are in wait and see mode.
Looking at my gucci, and it's about that time...

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 05:43:40 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
So there is a possibility we signed Amir for 12 mil and renounced all our TE's.

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 05:57:40 PM »

Offline KingChre

• Payton Pritchard

Yes, that is definitely possible.

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 06:00:34 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Brian Robb points to the fact that he expects the Johnson deal to be a S-n-T, presumably with the Rondo TPE and a little something thrown in for TOR. This would allow the Cs to keep the smaller 7.7mil (still very useful) exception that remains.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 06:12:32 PM »

Offline KingChre

• Payton Pritchard
Brian Robb points to the fact that he expects the Johnson deal to be a S-n-T, presumably with the Rondo TPE and a little something thrown in for TOR. This would allow the Cs to keep the smaller 7.7mil (still very useful) exception that remains.

With Ainge clearly valuing flexibility, this is what makes the most sense. It never made any sense to get totally under the cap unless they were adding a Love or Aldridge type of player. Once it became clear that they were not going to land the proverbial big fish in Free Agency, incremental improvement became their M.O. Getting Johnson and Jerebko signed to essentially 1 year deals (given the non-guaranteed 2nd years in both cases), they increase their depth, slightly improve the team as constructed, and still maintain their flexibility to trade.

In my opinion, this was always the most likely course. Their cache of assets allows them to be viable contenders for anyone that comes on the market. The downside to this is that so far, their assets don't seem to be valued as high by other teams as we would like. But it remains incredibly early in the off-season, so it seems a little silly to be evaluating what clearly is not a finished product.

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 06:15:20 PM »

Offline celticbos

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 5
I believe we are still under the cap so we shouldn't lose anything

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 09:19:02 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I think taking one of the Morris bros from PHX is logical.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 09:26:00 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Thats great of Brian Robb, but it's a two year deal, and sign-and-trades have to be three years minimum per the CBA.  So unless people have the years wrong, it will not be a sign-and-trade.

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 09:27:24 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Even more depressing:

Rather than having enough cap space to sign guys like Green or Harris, we now need to give up a first in order to dump Wallace's contract if one of them actually does want to sign here. In this scenario, you could look at it like we traded a first for Johnson...which also sucks.

I understand we could stretch Wallace's contract, but I also am not crazy about tying up cap space in him for the next three years.

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 09:42:24 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Even more depressing:

Rather than having enough cap space to sign guys like Green or Harris, we now need to give up a first in order to dump Wallace's contract if one of them actually does want to sign here. In this scenario, you could look at it like we traded a first for Johnson...which also sucks.

I understand we could stretch Wallace's contract, but I also am not crazy about tying up cap space in him for the next three years.

We were never going to sign Green or Harris for the Rondo TPE.  If they would sign for $13 million in the first year, their original teams would sign them.  Furthermore, a sign-and-trade is the best way to get a restricted free agent, since the original team can get compensation for letting the player walk as opposed to matching and offer sheet (including a decent trade exception).  So a trade with Wallace and a pick to Philly, a pick (probably the Minny one) to the team losing the free agent, and the free agent coming here on a max deal is possible.  Not likely, because the original team might just want to keep the player, but then the lack of cap space wasn't getting in the way anyway.

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 09:50:26 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I think taking one of the Morris bros from PHX is logical.

They may not take being separated too well.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2zKXuNGZP1o