Author Topic: Bullpett :C'S not offering max for Harris, Saving cap for bigger moves.......  (Read 22925 times)

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Even though there's no clear all-star player available for trade right now it doesn't mean that an opportunity will not arise in the future. Things can change very very fast and only the ones that are able to pounce are the ones that can take advantage of it.

Do you think Houston would have been able to get James Harden by signing the Tobias Harris's of the world. They were pretty in the exact position as us..acquiring tradeable assets and cap room and were waiting for a situation. I'm not saying that a James Harden will magically pop up but why would we eliminate this chance altogether just to sign a Tobias Harris.

Who knows what will happen with Demarcus Cousins as the season progresses? Maybe he demands a trade or maybe he sulks his way through the season and doesn't play as well. They have horrible management and I guarantee that if he does become available in a trade then we will be a front runner to land him.

There is no way to predict the future but right now we need to be patient and wait for the right situations to pop up.

Having a guy like Harris under contract gives us more assets to trade in a deal to get Cousins, no?  I don't follow your logic here.

Re: Bullpett :C'S not offering max for Harris
« Reply #106 on: July 01, 2015, 06:31:19 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Steve Bulpett ?@SteveBHoop 19m19 minutes ago

Important: Reason C's not pursuing some FA isn't because they don't like them, but b/c can't afford them and stay in line for bigger move.

HAHAHBAHAHAHAHAHAHAH What big moves , such nonsense

That's Danny's MO.

He's content to just keep collecting "assets" and finding ways to incrementally increase value on the roster until he can make a major move.

Who's going to trade us quality for quantity though?  Just not seeing how or when that'll happen.
yeah. god knows ainge has never put together big talent, quality players. all he does is collect assets and never has used the assets to put together a championship team. so he never will in the future.

geez, pho, you know better than to join the "give me my one marshmellow now" crowd.

This Celts team is being built like the Rockets or Pacers. We will either develop our own talent or pounce on someone later like Houston did with James Harden.

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
KG and Allen was unique and likely won't happen again. There are less bad GMs now. McHalen, a bad GM and friend of Ainge traded us KG and we had a top young player in Al Jefferson. The soon to be moving to OKC, Seattle traded us Allen when they were tanking. And with the cap going up there will likely be no Harden situations either.

Why will there be no Harden situations?  Why have GMs all gotten better?  Didn't we just do the Net trade in the last couple years?  Didn't Jordan turn down 4 firsts and two seconds to draft almost certainly a role player?  Yeah I don't buy any of this.

The offer to Charlotte was over rated. They should have picked Winslow but offering middle-late picks for the 9th pick is not a godfather offer at all. I explained why there wouldn't be a lot of Harden situations and OKC got rightfully panned for the trade. Plus if there was a Harden situation someone would probably just offer a top young player. And the Brooklyn trade was because they were moving to a new arena. I hope we find the opportunities that the Celtics seem so confident will present themselves but I just don't see it. I'm done buying the lies.

Why would the cap going up make no Harden situations?  Players are all just going to get paid more so the situation will still arise.  That makes no sense.

I'll try to get woke in the meantime.

Because there will less fear of repeater tax penalties, and I explained that even if there is a Harden situation there would probably be a better offer.

That doesn't change anything actually.

Your "there will probably be a better offer" thing you're offering as a fact means nothing at all, you realize?  That doesn't invalidate anything.  You're just building an argument to your conspiracy.

Stop calling it a conspiracy theory. Your being a jack ass. Explain to me how this is a conspiracy theory. I explained that it was marketing and money ball. And you don't think LA Lakers offering Okafor and Randle or New York offering Porzingis is a better offer than what we have? We saw with the Love trade that teams want top young players. And even teams that aren't in top markets like Minnesotta, Philly, etc have better young players to offer than us.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #108 on: July 01, 2015, 06:32:37 PM »

Offline Shamrocker

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69

Important: Reason C's not pursuing some FA isn't because they don't like them, but b/c can't afford them and stay in line for bigger move.

That's Danny's MO.

He's content to just keep collecting "assets" and finding ways to incrementally increase value on the roster until he can make a major move.

Who's going to trade us quality for quantity though?  Just not seeing how or when that'll happen.
yeah. god knows ainge has never put together big talent, quality players. all he does is collect assets and never has used the assets to put together a championship team. so he never will in the future.

geez, pho, you know better than to join the "give me my one marshmellow now" crowd.

How long until we stop using the KG/Allen acquisitions as evidence?  First, I'm not sure what we can gather from those trades---they happened in a completely different NBA environment. Moreover, it was seven years ago. Time to move on. 

« Reply #109 on: July 01, 2015, 06:33:27 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

That's Danny's MO.

This Celts team is being built like the Rockets or Pacers. We will either develop our own talent or pounce on someone later like Houston did with James Harden.

That pouncing didn't work out to well in the draft when all we could offer was a pupu platter of mid 1st rd picks . 

Unless the Nets tank big time we aren't going to have much more to offer next year.

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
KG and Allen was unique and likely won't happen again. There are less bad GMs now. McHalen, a bad GM and friend of Ainge traded us KG and we had a top young player in Al Jefferson. The soon to be moving to OKC, Seattle traded us Allen when they were tanking. And with the cap going up there will likely be no Harden situations either.

Why will there be no Harden situations?  Why have GMs all gotten better?  Didn't we just do the Net trade in the last couple years?  Didn't Jordan turn down 4 firsts and two seconds to draft almost certainly a role player?  Yeah I don't buy any of this.

The offer to Charlotte was over rated. They should have picked Winslow but offering middle-late picks for the 9th pick is not a godfather offer at all. I explained why there wouldn't be a lot of Harden situations and OKC got rightfully panned for the trade. Plus if there was a Harden situation someone would probably just offer a top young player. And the Brooklyn trade was because they were moving to a new arena. I hope we find the opportunities that the Celtics seem so confident will present themselves but I just don't see it. I'm done buying the lies.

Why would the cap going up make no Harden situations?  Players are all just going to get paid more so the situation will still arise.  That makes no sense.

Because there will less fear of repeater tax penalties, and I explained that even if there is a Harden situation there would probably be a better offer.

Your "there will probably be a better offer" thing you're offering as a fact means nothing at all, you realize?  That doesn't invalidate anything.  You're just building an argument to your conspiracy.

Stop calling it a conspiracy theory. Your being a jack ass. Explain to me how this is a conspiracy theory. I explained that it was marketing and money ball. And you don't think LA Lakers offering Okafor and Randle or New York offering Porzingis is a better offer than what we have? We saw with the Love trade that teams want top young players. And even teams that aren't in top markets like Minnesotta, Philly, etc have better young players to offer than us.

You think the team is trying to fool us all and not trying to do exactly what they say they are trying to do (which is exactly what they are doing).  This is a classic not using logic and going way out of your way to make some conspiracy where people are trying to fool other people.  It's so hard to believe the obvious and clear truth in front of your face?  The organization has been so open with everything, what you say can only be called exactly what it is.

We have taken the best player available with all our picks and these players are not the top level ones that get traded just based on their position, not talent.  That takes time to work.  Smart was the 3rd or 4th best player from his draft and is an asset, whether you think so or not.  He will keep getting better.  I believe other players will start to grow and set themselves apart as well.  We didn't get a lot of high picks but we have a lot of picks and I think that some of these guys are going to hit.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum

You think the team is trying to fool us all and not trying to do exactly what they say they are trying to do (which is exactly what they are doing).  This is a classic not using logic and going way out of your way to make some conspiracy where people are trying to fool other people.  It's so hard to believe the obvious and clear truth in front of your face?  The organization has been so open with everything, what you say can only be called exactly what it is.

We have taken the best player available with all our picks and these players are not the top level ones that get traded just based on their position, not talent.  That takes time to work.  Smart was the 3rd or 4th best player from his draft and is an asset, whether you think so or not.  He will keep getting better.  I believe other players will start to grow and set themselves apart as well.  We didn't get a lot of high picks but we have a lot of picks and I think that some of these guys are going to hit.

Here is what I said in my original post. The young players and picks we have are over rated. Ainge is over rated. Stevens cares about his system first and foremost. Our ownership is on board with Ainge and his collecting assets, money ball strategy. It is not a conspiracy theory, it is a strategy I do not agree with. And then saying bigger moves are coming is all marketing. They want to make big moves but they keep telling us just wait in the future we will be awesome. I hope it's true.

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #112 on: July 01, 2015, 06:37:44 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

How long until we stop using the KG/Allen acquisitions as evidence?  First, I'm not sure what we can gather from those trades---they happened in a completely different NBA environment. Moreover, it was seven years ago. Time to move on.

Please tell me what's so different about the environment?

« Reply #113 on: July 01, 2015, 06:39:46 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

If we had been able to get Winslow, maybe he'd have been our Paul George.

I guess I can't argue with you if you're hoping for Ainge to engineer another Harden trade, or a couple of trades like when he acquired Allen and KG.  The latter took a top 5 pick, however.

I suppose I just feel like basing your rebuilding strategy on engineering a redux of one of the most lopsided trades ever (the Harden trade, I mean) seems a little ... precarious.

There's a line in there somewhere between confidence in your ability to maximize value out of a pile of assets and the arrogance that an opposing GM will simply be dumber than you.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
Sources from other teams and within the player rep community say the C's are also in play for Tobias Harris and Corey Brewer, but in those cases the club is said to have its limits. There are salary and length-of-contract parameters for each that Boston will not exceed.

It is interesting to note that, from all accounts, the Celtics have had no contact at all with several other free agents with whom they've been linked in media reports.

In some of these cases, it's said to be because they are not particularly fond of the player's game, while in others it's because they've become aware the player is seeking more than they are willing to spend -- and may get it elsewhere in the open market.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/celtics_insider/2015/07/bulpett_celtics_reel_in_amir_johnson_on_first_day_of_nba

would be great if we could get him on our terms, but worried we won't get him either

oh well

amir and jerrebko instead of Harris, makes sense.... ::)

UPDATE:

ONE QUESTION: DOES THIS MEAN THIS YEAR OR NEXT YEAR?? I'm trying to quell my expectations.
and if its next year or at the trade deadline, aren't the Celtics going to be like 75% of the NBA with plenty of cap space - which IMO, doesn't set us apart at all.
<Wish I knew what was going on in Danny head>

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

Here is what I said in my original post. The young players and picks we have are over rated. Ainge is over rated. Stevens cares about his system first and foremost. Our ownership is on board with Ainge and his collecting assets, money ball strategy. It is not a conspiracy theory, it is a strategy I do not agree with. And then saying bigger moves are coming is all marketing. They want to make big moves but they keep telling us just wait in the future we will be awesome. I hope it's true.

No this is what you said:

Our roster is a joke. And there are no "bigger moves" coming. I'm done buying the Celtics hype that they sell us every year. Our young players are over rated. Our future picks are over rated. And Ainge is over rated. Stevens is a great coach, but he cares more about his system than getting more talented players. He seems like a nice guy and all but he has an ego. Our ownership group is from Bain Capital. They don't care about me, they don't care about you, they don't care about us, they don't even care about the players, they care about numbers. That's what all this is, numbers. This "asset collection" thing is a very business like thing to do, there are no feelings with this strategy. Same with the "system" that Stevens runs. No feelings, just puzzle pieces. Stevens, Ainge, our ownership group, they are all cut from the same cloth, they all have the same philosophy. As a fan base we have to stop blindly supporting Ainge, Wyc, etc. They are doing bad at their job right now.

So you tied in Bain capital to our whole organization (Stevens included) as exploiting players and the fan base intentionally to mislead them because they just care about money.  They don't even care about putting out a good team or trying to get players that could win us a title.

If you actually said what you just said in your first post I wouldn't have reacted this way.

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52

Yes, you're right Ainge, Stevens and the owners are not interested in winning. they just want to fool you.
Please give it a rest.

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
What I meant by numbers is moneyball, asset collecting, etc. It's caring about numbers over feelings. I think you both misunderstood

Celticsblog=sports radio

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Sources from other teams and within the player rep community say the C's are also in play for Tobias Harris and Corey Brewer, but in those cases the club is said to have its limits. There are salary and length-of-contract parameters for each that Boston will not exceed.

It is interesting to note that, from all accounts, the Celtics have had no contact at all with several other free agents with whom they've been linked in media reports.

In some of these cases, it's said to be because they are not particularly fond of the player's game, while in others it's because they've become aware the player is seeking more than they are willing to spend -- and may get it elsewhere in the open market.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/celtics_insider/2015/07/bulpett_celtics_reel_in_amir_johnson_on_first_day_of_nba

would be great if we could get him on our terms, but worried we won't get him either

oh well

amir and jerrebko instead of Harris, makes sense.... ::)

UPDATE:

ONE QUESTION: DOES THIS MEAN THIS YEAR OR NEXT YEAR?? I'm trying to quell my expectations.
and if its next year or at the trade deadline, aren't the Celtics going to be like 75% of the NBA with plenty of cap space - which IMO, doesn't set us apart at all.
<Wish I knew what was going on in Danny head>

With the contracts of Amir Johnson and Jerebko non-guaranteed in year 2, I'm guessing we are aiming for a big move next year. We still have trade exceptions to combine with picks though, we have a lot of flexibility to make big moves

« Reply #119 on: July 01, 2015, 06:54:01 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

If we had been able to get Winslow, maybe he'd have been our Paul George.

I guess I can't argue with you if you're hoping for Ainge to engineer another Harden trade, or a couple of trades like when he acquired Allen and KG.  The latter took a top 5 pick, however.

I suppose I just feel like basing your rebuilding strategy on engineering a redux of one of the most lopsided trades ever (the Harden trade, I mean) seems a little ... precarious.

There's a line in there somewhere between confidence in your ability to maximize value out of a pile of assets and the arrogance that an opposing GM will simply be dumber than you.
We also traded Sebastian Telfair to acquire KG, that took a 6th pick in the 2006 draft.