Author Topic: Bullpett :C'S not offering max for Harris, Saving cap for bigger moves.......  (Read 22911 times)

Re: Bullpett :C'S not offering max for Harris
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 05:11:30 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Steve Bulpett ‏@SteveBHoop 19m19 minutes ago

Important: Reason C's not pursuing some FA isn't because they don't like them, but b/c can't afford them and stay in line for bigger move.

HAHAHBAHAHAHAHAHAHAH What big moves , such nonsense

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2015, 05:12:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Not getting him then.

So excited to see the opening night lineup of Smart, Bradley, Crowder, Olynyk, and Amir.

Celts saw they didn't have the firepower to hang with really good teams when they got swept in the playoffs, and really came out swinging this off-season to change that.

Yeeeeeeeeeehawww!
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2015, 05:12:53 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Steve Bulpett ?@SteveBHoop 19m19 minutes ago

Important: Reason C's not pursuing some FA isn't because they don't like them, but b/c can't afford them and stay in line for bigger move.

Not "2015 big moves" is what I got out of that.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2015, 05:13:20 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
$12 mil/yr for Amir Johnson - makes sense.

$5 mil/yr for Jonas Jerebko - makes sense.

Max for an up and coming young combo forward - Nah, that's insane.

#DannyAingeLogic
Length of contract matters, yet you don't mention that.

We have money to throw around this year. What else will we do with it? But that does not mean we want to commit money for 2 years from now if we aren't convinced a guy is a long term solution. Teams will also pay more for short term deals, while players will accept less for security, since the taking on more risk on a young guy.

So your logic isn't well thought out.

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2015, 05:14:22 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

.... the big moves are in the future?  Is that really confusing?
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2015, 05:14:34 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Ridiculous. Ainge needs to realize he needs to take some swings on talent. The worst part is the reason we can't sign Tobias Harris is because we signed Amir Johnson to a 12 million dollar contract. Ridiculous. If we land Tobias for less than a max then fantastic, but I highly doubt it.

Another strike on Ainge. Strike in the draft, strike in free agency so far, and strike in the trade department. Usually three strikes means you're out, but I guess we will give him one more because "In Danny we Trust".
Firing a GM because of the team he puts together in the offseason before you ever see it in the regular season probably wont happen.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2015, 05:15:01 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

That's Danny's MO.

He's content to just keep collecting "assets" and finding ways to incrementally increase value on the roster until he can make a major move.

Who's going to trade us quality for quantity though?  Just not seeing how or when that'll happen.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2015, 05:15:22 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Remember when the Nets signed all those duds in desperation moves the year they missed out on the big Lebron/Bosh/Wade free agent class? We aren't doing that.

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2015, 05:15:43 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

the cap is raising 20 mil next year, how much more cap do we need to make a big move?

and 20 more the year after that...

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2015, 05:19:06 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

"Big Moves" = The New Fireworks

It's just another attempt at fan appeasement.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2015, 05:20:19 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I find it hard to believe that no one will offer Harris the max.

Also, a sign and trade with Orlando would make sense.  We have too many players who deserve playing time at guard and power forward.  I mean it should happen.... but it probably won't.  Sigh.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
This news, combined with the news that the deals for Amir and Jerebko are only guaranteed for one year, confirms that the Celts are not excited about their options this summer and have decided to more or less run it back next season and take stock a year from now.

Disappointing.  I didn't necessarily expect huge moves in free agency.  But I'd like to see some signs that the team isn't content to go for another finish like last season.  Up or down, but not right back in the middle again.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2015, 05:26:01 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

"Big Moves" = The New Fireworks

It's just another attempt at fan appeasement.
Draft was a failure.  SO far, this offseason has been a massive failure.   I'm losing faith.  With the additions of Jerebko and Johnson, we don't even have enough money to even offer a max contract.  Depending on what Jae Crowder gets, matching him might wrap up this entire offseason.  So you're basically swapping Bass for Johnson and punting on the season.

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
The Harris deal isn't dead so not sure why we are all panicking or am I missing a deadline some where?

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
This news, combined with the news that the deals for Amir and Jerebko are only guaranteed for one year, confirms that the Celts are not excited about their options this summer and have decided to more or less run it back next season and take stock a year from now.

Disappointing.  I didn't necessarily expect huge moves in free agency.  But I'd like to see some signs that the team isn't content to go for another finish like last season.  Up or down, but not right back in the middle again.
I think this is a really good sum up to what's happened so far. After calming down a bit I don't hate the Johnson signing. It seems like Ainge is trying to keep himself in good position for a perfect situation to open up. I think the question is at what point do you stop waiting for a perfect situation and take a gamble.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!