Author Topic: $17 Mil/Year for Amir Johnson & Jonas Jerebko? Update: 2nd Year non-guaranteed  (Read 2023 times)

Johnson and Jerebko Have Unguarenteed 2nd Years
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 04:57:14 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
At least this is a life saver...

It may be more of a ripple than a splash in relation to some of the names on the market, but the Celtics have filled a need by reaching agreement on a two-year, $24 million contract with free agent forward Amir Johnson.

In addition, the Celts will be retaining the services of Jonas Jerebko, who impressed here last season after being acquired from Detroit at the trade deadline. Jerebko, who averaged 7.1 points in 18.2 minutes, will get a modest - by NBA standards - $10 million over the next two years.

As a measure of the importance the Celtics are placing on future flexibility, sources told the Herald that the second year on both deals will be non-guaranteed.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Given the news on year two of these Johnson & Jerebko deals, does anyone have an idea of what number the Celtics could be potentially be looking at in expiring contracts in '15-16?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
The money and years mean very little to me. What concerns me is the direction. I fear 3 years from now we're still going to hear the word flexibility being thrown around.

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
If the 2nd year is non-guaranteed, that pretty much looks like Ainge is REALLY committed to not overpaying for free agents and thinks trades are the way to go.

Mike

Re: $17Mill/Year for Amir Johnson and Jonas Jerebko?
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2015, 05:03:03 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
this just went from very bad to good. way better to have 1 year stop gaps then bringing in the wrong player on a max contract.

I'd say it went from solid to very good. Non-guaranteed contracts are very valuable. The move helps the C's compete this year and it gives us major assets to trade for a disgruntled star next year-- we can offer instant cap relief and draft picks.

Also, neither contract is really bad value if we decide to keep it. Amir is a starting-caliber player, and with the cap going up his $12m is more the equivalent of ~$8m next year. Jerebko has played very well for us, arguably better than either Sully or Olynyk, and if he keeps it up his contract will be a bargain.

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • GOT IT!!!
If the 2nd year is non-guaranteed, that pretty much looks like Ainge is REALLY committed to not overpaying for free agents and thinks trades are the way to go.

Mike

Exactly, trying to relive the magic of '07. Those kind of trades take too much luck.

Re: $17Mill/Year for Amir Johnson and Jonas Jerebko?
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2015, 05:05:47 PM »

Offline sadleprechaun

• NCE
  • The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
this just went from very bad to good. way better to have 1 year stop gaps then bringing in the wrong player on a max contract.

I'd say it went from solid to very good. Non-guaranteed contracts are very valuable. The move helps the C's compete this year and it gives us major assets to trade for a disgruntled star next year-- we can offer instant cap relief and draft picks.

Yes.  I like Jerebko.  I'm not 100% sold on Johnson, but the fact that year 2 is non-guaranteed for both guys is HUGE.  Anyone who doubts Danny needs to read the fine print and think about more than the superficial details.  Ainge is giving us tons of flexibility.  Love these moves.

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
The money and years mean very little to me. What concerns me is the direction. I fear 3 years from now we're still going to hear the word flexibility being thrown around.

What more can we do? Aside from tanking hardcore the best we can do is staying flexible and being patient. And we really can't tank hardcore when it might cost us our best asset. (Stevens)

We're relying on getting lucky at some point, but so is every rebuilding team.

Great words from a great man

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • GOT IT!!!

What more can we do? Aside from tanking hardcore the best we can do is staying flexible and being patient. And we really can't tank hardcore when it might cost us our best asset. (Stevens)

We're relying on getting lucky at some point, but so is every rebuilding team.

I love CBS but unless the C's can get a star to Boston it doesn't matter what he does. I won't cry if CBS leaves.

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

I think that our assets are flexible. ;)