Author Topic: Amir Johnson to Celtics  (Read 72584 times)

Re: Amir Johnson to Celtics
« Reply #420 on: July 05, 2015, 01:37:34 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Looking at the Koufos deal to Sacramento is making me hate this deal.

You mean to tell me we could have had Koufos for LESS money than Amir? I liked the deal until that news. I think I'd rather have 4 years/$33 million of Koufos than 2 years/$24 of Amir Johnson.

Danny really doesn't want a 7 footer doesn't he?

It isn't a two year 24 million deal, it is a one year, 12 million deal and that is exactly why Ainge didn't sign Koufos. I am sure he could have gotten Johnson for less, but the whole point was to overpay for long term flexibility, which is exactly what Danny was trying to do.

Okay, I'm confused. SI and CBS Sports reported on July 1st that it's a 2 year, $24 million deal.

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/07/01/nba-free-agency-grades-amir-johnson-celtics-two-years-24-million

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasybasketball/update/25230556/amir-johnson-agrees-to-deal-with-celtics

Even if that's the case, if he chose to overpay for long term flexibility rather than landing a cheap solid Center, I'd hate this deal even more.

It's been reported that the second year of both Johnson's and Jerebko's deals are non-guaranteed.  If that's not the case, both deals are horrific mistakes.  Ainge is significantly overpaying for one year and in exchange, they've agreed to contracts that make them extremely attractive trade assets and lets Ainge just release them if he can't trade them.

I think it is undeniable that Ainge looked at this free agent class, decided the top guys weren't gettable and the gettable guys weren't worth overpaying, so he basically decided to lock down Crowder and then bring back Jerebko and replace Bass but without making any long term salary commitment.

Mike

But... Man... Only $8.5 million per year. That's what Koufos commanded. That's not overpaying if he's playing for us. Instead, were wasting a year of Amir for $12 million.

I get it, maybe he wasn't targeted by Danny, maybe he didnt want to come here, but may he would for the same money.

8.5m for 4 years with player option on the fourth year? If what the reports are saying is correct, I'd rather prefer Amir Johnson's signing, even though it's 12m/year, it's non-guaranteed on the 2nd year and can potentially be used as an asset for future trade scenarios.

Oh yes because assets and trades is what danny does best  :-X