Author Topic: Amir Johnson to Celtics  (Read 72445 times)

Re: Amir Johnson to Celtics
« Reply #405 on: July 04, 2015, 06:17:11 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
The move has grown on me. It's a short contract, with the second year non guaranteed. If he works out and plays very well he could be an added trade asset.

He was much better for the Raptors when he played the 5 in a small ball lineup, which fits our more wide open brand of basketball. If he can stay healthy I expect him to have a very good year.

From all reports, he is a high effort player. With him, Smart, Bradley and Crowder we have four plus defenders who will give us maximum effort. This should be a fun, hard nosed team to watch.

Jerebko and Rozier (by all accounts) are two more willing/credible defenders.

Thomas may be the only guy on the roster who can create his own shot, though. I think Ainge needs to find another guy who can score.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #406 on: July 04, 2015, 06:47:24 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
The move has grown on me. It's a short contract, with the second year non guaranteed. If he works out and plays very well he could be an added trade asset.

He was much better for the Raptors when he played the 5 in a small ball lineup, which fits our more wide open brand of basketball. If he can stay healthy I expect him to have a very good year.

From all reports, he is a high effort player. With him, Smart, Bradley and Crowder we have four plus defenders who will give us maximum effort. This should be a fun, hard nosed team to watch.

Jerebko and Rozier (by all accounts) are two more willing/credible defenders.

Thomas may be the only guy on the roster who can create his own shot, though. I think Ainge needs to find another guy who can score.
good points. the celtics need a scorer more than a defensive big right now. rozier MIGHT SOMEDAY become like IT and be able to put up points. but i would not count on him doing much of anything this year.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #407 on: July 04, 2015, 06:50:30 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We actually will be able to play five guys who are decent/credible defenders at once next year.  Something that did not always happen last year.   Jerebko/Johnson/Crowder/Smart and Bradley  will be able to play good  D, not to mention Rozier is a supposedly a bulldog of a defender.   

« Reply #408 on: July 04, 2015, 11:48:52 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Looking at the Koufos deal to Sacramento is making me hate this deal.

You mean to tell me we could have had Koufos for LESS money than Amir? I liked the deal until that news. I think I'd rather have 4 years/$33 million of Koufos than 2 years/$24 of Amir Johnson.

Danny really doesn't want a 7 footer doesn't he?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #409 on: July 04, 2015, 11:53:58 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17

You mean to tell me we could have had Koufos for LESS money than Amir? I liked the deal until that news. I think I'd rather have 4 years/$33 million of Koufos than 2 years/$24 of Amir Johnson.

saying that we could have had him is pointless, for all we know he didn't want to come here. We could have had DeAndre Jordan for max money here also. Our free agent signings are only as good as the players that want to sign here.

« Reply #410 on: July 04, 2015, 11:56:23 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

saying that we could have had him is pointless, for all we know he didn't want to come here. We could have had DeAndre Jordan for max money here also. Our free agent signings are only as good as the players that want to sign here.

Well, to be fair, he was willing to come to Sacramento to be a backup. I understand your point, but you'd think that a starting spot and about a $3-4 million extra cash could certainly peak his interest, no? For all we know, we probably didn't even bother talking to him.

« Reply #411 on: July 04, 2015, 11:59:14 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

It isn't a two year 24 million deal, it is a one year, 12 million deal and that is exactly why Ainge didn't sign Koufos. I am sure he could have gotten Johnson for less, but the whole point was to overpay for long term flexibility, which is exactly what Danny was trying to do.

« Reply #412 on: July 05, 2015, 12:00:39 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
We actually will be able to play five guys who are decent/credible defenders at once next year.  Something that did not always happen last year.   Jerebko/Johnson/Crowder/Smart and Bradley  will be able to play good  D, not to mention Rozier is a supposedly a bulldog of a defender.

RJ Hunter is interesting.

Per DraftExpress:
Just as important will be Hunter's defense, which will likely play a major role in his ability to carve out a serious role for a good NBA team. On one hand he has excellent length (6-9 ½ wingspan), which, combined with his solid lateral quickness and excellent anticipation skills and feel for the game, gives him a chance to develop into a solid option on this end of the floor. He was a real playmaker at the college level, generating a huge amount of steals (2.3 per-40) and blocks (1.1) for a player at his position, which is usually a very good sign.

On the other hand, a lot of this had to do with the amount of zone Georgia State plays, which allowed him to roam around, gamble at times, and make plays all over the floor. Playing zone exclusively for three years in college is not ideal from an NBA standpoint, where he'll be forced to learn an entirely new style of defense, with all the many principles, concepts and coverages that go along with that, and Hunter's slender 180-pound frame could make it difficult for him to contain bigger and stronger players. Considering he turns 22 before the NBA season begins, it will be interesting to see how much his frame can continue to fill out over the next few years.

« Reply #413 on: July 05, 2015, 12:09:47 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

It isn't a two year 24 million deal, it is a one year, 12 million deal and that is exactly why Ainge didn't sign Koufos. I am sure he could have gotten Johnson for less, but the whole point was to overpay for long term flexibility, which is exactly what Danny was trying to do.

Okay, I'm confused. SI and CBS Sports reported on July 1st that it's a 2 year, $24 million deal.

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/07/01/nba-free-agency-grades-amir-johnson-celtics-two-years-24-million

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasybasketball/update/25230556/amir-johnson-agrees-to-deal-with-celtics

Even if that's the case, if he chose to overpay for long term flexibility rather than landing a cheap solid Center, I'd hate this deal even more.

« Reply #414 on: July 05, 2015, 12:17:36 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17

Okay, I'm confused. SI and CBS Sports reported on July 1st that it's a 2 year, $24 million deal.

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/07/01/nba-free-agency-grades-amir-johnson-celtics-two-years-24-million

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasybasketball/update/25230556/amir-johnson-agrees-to-deal-with-celtics

Even if that's the case, if he chose to overpay for long term flexibility rather than landing a cheap solid Center, I'd hate this deal even more.
its a 2 year deal, team option on year two. We will have like 60m+ cap space next year.

« Reply #415 on: July 05, 2015, 12:24:30 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

its a 2 year deal, team option on year two. We will have like 60m+ cap space next year.

Everyone else will have cap space next year. We had cap space this year and all we got was Amir Johnson?

At least Koufos is a guy who can rebound, protect the rim and score at a solid rate, who's younger and addresses our need for size, and possibly could have come in for $2 million cheaper. If he's willing to accept $33 million to be a backup, you'd think he won't accept the same money and be a starter? I'm not saying Koufos would attract Free Agents, but atleast we could be set at Center with him. Instead, we got Amir, and a log jam of Power Forwards.

I now hate this deal.

« Reply #416 on: July 05, 2015, 12:31:40 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

It's been reported that the second year of both Johnson's and Jerebko's deals are non-guaranteed.  If that's not the case, both deals are horrific mistakes.  Ainge is significantly overpaying for one year and in exchange, they've agreed to contracts that make them extremely attractive trade assets and lets Ainge just release them if he can't trade them.

I think it is undeniable that Ainge looked at this free agent class, decided the top guys weren't gettable and the gettable guys weren't worth overpaying, so he basically decided to lock down Crowder and then bring back Jerebko and replace Bass but without making any long term salary commitment.

Mike

« Reply #417 on: July 05, 2015, 12:37:31 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

It's been reported that the second year of both Johnson's and Jerebko's deals are non-guaranteed.  If that's not the case, both deals are horrific mistakes.  Ainge is significantly overpaying for one year and in exchange, they've agreed to contracts that make them extremely attractive trade assets and lets Ainge just release them if he can't trade them.

I think it is undeniable that Ainge looked at this free agent class, decided the top guys weren't gettable and the gettable guys weren't worth overpaying, so he basically decided to lock down Crowder and then bring back Jerebko and replace Bass but without making any long term salary commitment.

Mike

But... Man... Only $8.5 million per year. That's what Koufos commanded. That's not overpaying if he's playing for us. Instead, were wasting a year of Amir for $12 million.

I get it, maybe he wasn't targeted by Danny, maybe he didnt want to come here, but may he would for the same money.

« Reply #418 on: July 05, 2015, 12:56:04 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Mike

But... Man... Only $8.5 million per year. That's what Koufos commanded. That's not overpaying if he's playing for us. Instead, were wasting a year of Amir for $12 million.

I get it, maybe he wasn't targeted by Danny, maybe he didnt want to come here, but may he would for the same money.

But it's three years with, I believe, a player option for a fourth.

I'm not saying Ainge is right.  I think not going after Monroe and Harris might turn out to be the worst mistake he's made.  But it seems like Ainge is looking at future free agents, resigning his own young players and the jillion draft picks we have and wants to maintain maximum flexibility.

Mike

« Reply #419 on: July 05, 2015, 01:35:43 AM »

Offline Yenohb

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 73

Mike

8.5m for 4 years with player option on the fourth year? If what the reports are saying is correct, I'd rather prefer Amir Johnson's signing, even though it's 12m/year, it's non-guaranteed on the 2nd year and can potentially be used as an asset for future trades.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 01:48:32 AM by Yenohb »