Author Topic: Amir Johnson to Celtics  (Read 72659 times)

Re: Amir Johnson to Celtics
« Reply #390 on: July 02, 2015, 06:04:14 PM »

Offline YeezusChrist

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
Wow. We're going to leapfrog ATL, Washington, and Chicago next year?

Paul George (even at 85% his stud) and Ellis won't significantly improve Indy? In all of our clamoring for a star, I wonder what difference we would think he would make if in Green next year. No improvement? I'd bet many would say ~5th best in East. Weird how that works.

Guess it's going to be a wilder season than I thought! Break out the O'Doul's!

Thank you some of these guys are thinking Amir Johnson is gonna make more of a difference the PG or Ellis.

It's just ridiculous

« Reply #391 on: July 02, 2015, 06:07:18 PM »

Offline YeezusChrist

• Jrue Holiday
-Healthy Bosh and Wade = playoffs for Heat.
-Healthy George = playoffs for Pacers.
-Cleveland is already indestructible in the East.
-Atlanta remains the same, lock up a top 3 seed and then get bounced in the first or second round like usual.
-Milwaukee significant upgrade = upgrade on playoff seed.
-Wizards lost Paul Pierce = downgrade on playoff seed.
-Chicago lost Thibs but still has players that can keep them well-alive = playoffs.

That's 7 teams.

Charlotte, New York, Detroit, Boston, Brooklyn, and Toronto can all fight for the 8th seed.

Toronto has lost nobody except Amir Johnson but he is not the reason they were the 4th seed. Plus they got Carroll and Bruno looks like he has talent

« Reply #392 on: July 02, 2015, 06:08:46 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1008
-Atlanta remains the same, lock up a top 3 seed and then get bounced in the first or second round like usual.
-Chicago lost Thibs but still has players that can keep them well-alive = playoffs.

That's 7 teams.

Charlotte, New York, Detroit, Boston, Brooklyn, and Toronto can all fight for the 8th seed.

Toronto has lost nobody except Amir Johnson but he is not the reason they were the 4th seed. Plus they got Carroll and Bruno looks like he has talent

They also lost Greivis Vasquez

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #393 on: July 02, 2015, 06:15:08 PM »

Offline YeezusChrist

• Jrue Holiday

That's 7 teams.

They also lost Greivis Vasquez

Come on he averaged 10 pt 4 asts last year. The team is built around Derozan, Lowry, Valanciunas, and Ross

If they don't lose any of those guys I don't see them falling out of the playoff picture. Plus they'll win the atlantic which automatically puts them in the playoffs

« Reply #394 on: July 02, 2015, 06:37:08 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
I remember a time when the Nets got Pierce and KG and everyone thought that they were heading for the NBA Finals.  Time will tell but I am pretty confident that the C's have the talent, coaching and GM to keep them in the playoffs. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #395 on: July 02, 2015, 11:13:02 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I hate that it seems that over half the fans here want our team to loose...How are the tanking teams looking now? NY and LAL are in the same place the started in. Philly's players don't even want to play for them.

We have almost no chance of making the playoffs this year, we have learned our assets are poo, and we are not gonna attract a superstar to come to the team unless we have a superstar in place already.

I think we should just play these players next year and let them develop and try to get a higher chance in the lotto.

Smart/IT
Bradley/Hunter
Young/Crowder
Sully/KO
Zeller/Mickey

I don't even want to see Amir on the floor because he's not a part of the future and he is just taking minutes from players who can still develop. If we were trying to win and compete for the title I would have no problem with giving him minutes but that isn't the case we are in a rebuild and he is just a trade asset for next year.

Considering that we made the playoffs last year and that our team will be better to start the season than last year, why do you think that they won't make the playoffs??  They didn't get worse.

Example of legit argument why Boston won't make the playoffs:

Indiana's best player missed the entire season , and should be back.  Since Indiana missed finished just two games behind Boston, they should finish ahead of them this year.

Miami finished just three games back, despite not having Chris Bosh for about half the season.  With Bosh back healthy this year, and assuming they bring Wade back, they should finish ahead of Boston.

Those two teams just returning to where they "should" be would put Boston outside the playoffs.

So you know for a fact that nobody else in the Was is going to get injured next season?

No.  Are you now done deliberately misreading my post, which specifically, deliberately and explicitly did nothing but pose a legit argument about other teams passing the Celtics, or shall I start with the "do you know for a fact that nobody on the Celtics will get hurt" type of retorts?

So people might get injured in the East this season?  Just want to clarify.  Do the Celtics have a chance to improve next season?  Is the offseason over?  Did they get rid of in season trades?

I agree with your basic premise, I just think that it is way too early to be talking about the Celtics missing the playoffs as we don't know who will even be on the Celtics next season. 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #396 on: July 02, 2015, 11:37:04 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
The Celtics, even if they were done with moves, will be better this year, maybe not torrid like the end of last season but something between that pace and 500 is easy to imagine.  This may the first year in a while that the 8th seed is let's say 5 games over 500...

in any case the Celitcs could be better (44 wins or so) and still miss the playoffs.  I'd be surprised but it's a possibility.

One nice thing to think about is that in next year's draft it will MUCH easier to move up.  The 28th pick didn't help much at all in moving up from 16.  The Celitcs pick will probably be somewhere between 13 and 18 next year, and same for New Jersey's.  Let's say it's 15 and 16.  It will be easy to move up to pick 8 or so I would guess....with those two picks and sweetener if needed. If the Dallas pick comes through as well we can start to climb up real high in next year's draft using various teams if necessary to leap frog..

« Reply #397 on: July 03, 2015, 12:08:51 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

So people might get injured in the East this season?  Just want to clarify.  Do the Celtics have a chance to improve next season?  Is the offseason over?  Did they get rid of in season trades?

I agree with your basic premise, I just think that it is way too early to be talking about the Celtics missing the playoffs as we don't know who will even be on the Celtics next season.

We're talking about teams as they are currently set up.  I'm sure that everyone understands that changes in teams will mean changes in discussions.  Just to make an obviously outlandish, but illustrative, point, we're all looking at Cleveland as Eastern Conference favorites, but what if LeBron decides to go to Philadelphia instead of re-signing with Cleveland?

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #398 on: July 03, 2015, 12:31:06 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

We're talking about teams as they are currently set up.  I'm sure that everyone understands that changes in teams will mean changes in discussions.  Just to make an obviously outlandish, but illustrative, point, we're all looking at Cleveland as Eastern Conference favorites, but what if LeBron decides to go to Philadelphia instead of re-signing with Cleveland?

No they were talking about teams making the playoffs in 2015-16, there was no mention of teams entering the season as they are currently set up.  As I said I mainly agree with what you originally posted, I just think it is absolutely ridiculous that people are talking about the playoffs next season when free agents can't officially sign with other teams yet.  Way to early. 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #399 on: July 04, 2015, 03:44:04 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819
Amir Johnson @IamAmirJohnson
The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it and join the dance! BEAN TOWN I'M READY! #GreenRunsDeep

« Reply #400 on: July 04, 2015, 04:01:26 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Amir Johnson @IamAmirJohnson
The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it and join the dance! BEAN TOWN I'M READY! #GreenRunsDeep

When all is said and done, I think we are going love watching Amir but at the same time think, "$12 million for that?!"

« Reply #401 on: July 04, 2015, 04:54:17 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
So people might get injured in the East this season?
  Same could happen to us and it would be even more crippling, I not taking about losing a guy who can't play D like Sully, that helped us some.

« Reply #402 on: July 04, 2015, 05:03:01 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395

No they were talking about teams making the playoffs in 2015-16, there was no mention of teams entering the season as they are currently set up.  As I said I mainly agree with what you originally posted, I just think it is absolutely ridiculous that people are talking about the playoffs next season when free agents can't officially sign with other teams yet.  Way to early.

Barring anything completely unexpected happening, it seems like the dust is finally settling. The draft is done, and a bunch of the top tier free agents have found a home. I don't think it's "ridiculous" to talk about playoff projections at this point, particularly when that was this team's crowning achievement in the previous season.

If it's way too early to make any type of prediction then, by your logic, does that mean a prediction of "the Celtics will win Banner 18 next year" is as likely as "the Celtics will miss the playoffs next year"?

- LilRip

« Reply #403 on: July 04, 2015, 05:52:19 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
The move has grown on me. It's a short contract, with the second year non guaranteed. If he works out and plays very well he could be an added trade asset.

He was much better for the Raptors when he played the 5 in a small ball lineup, which fits our more wide open brand of basketball. If he can stay healthy I expect him to have a very good year.

From all reports, he is a high effort player. With him, Smart, Bradley and Crowder we have four plus defenders who will give us maximum effort. This should be a fun, hard nosed team to watch.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #404 on: July 04, 2015, 06:09:50 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
As usual a lot of posts saying that certain players will improve their teams because they entered some buckets. And of course never realize that defense, team chemistry & roster depth are as important if not more.
The nets is the perfect example. On the opposite the hawks is the best example.
Are you the type of persons who judge people by what they are wearing?
Must keep it real, look at the entire picture.

Our team has less flaws now. We have shooters (Young should produce some minutes now and RJ Hunter as our new Datome off the bench). We have rim protection with Amir and Mickey. Yes, by the way, stop being obsess by the 7 feet tall Center. Mickey elevate faster and higher than most of the 7 footers in nba.

All the young players can only be better starting next season and most importantly, this squad have the time to finally have some practice together before the season starts.

If this roster starts with the same intensity from last season, I don't see why we shouldn't be an 8th seed minimum.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 06:20:24 PM by LGC88 »