Author Topic: Amir Johnson to Celtics  (Read 72580 times)

Re: Amir Johnson to Celtics
« Reply #360 on: July 02, 2015, 04:28:19 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
Hard to say I don't  love the sum of the moves so far, but really I'm just dealing with the issue of buying into the hype. If the goal is to make the bottom two of the playoff bracket and wait for a star player and all that that entails again, well, I guess mission accomplished. The Johnson signing is pretty much the definition of that: retain flexibility and sell hope. I think a lot has to do with keeping Brad happy.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #361 on: July 02, 2015, 08:03:15 AM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
Forsberg on ESPN Boston says the 2nd year of Jerebko and Johnson deals are non-guaranteed.  That's a big win for us and sets us up to have massive space / flexibility next summer in FA.

« Reply #362 on: July 02, 2015, 08:23:45 AM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
I wish brad stevens would find a college coach job he likes and leave us alone i hate this commitment to mediocrity Ainge and the celtics are commited to medocrity.

« Reply #363 on: July 02, 2015, 09:18:20 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
So, just a question --

All day Amir has been talked about as a good defensive player who improves the Celts on that end.

Yet, the Raptors were pretty terrible defensively last year.  What's the explanation there?

Amir was injured for most of last year. Ankle injuries, I think it was. He did not play up to his usual levels defensively. More good than great defensively. Amir wasn't able to move laterally as well or cover as much ground as usual. It hurt his defense away from the basket. To cover PFs far from the basket and hurt his team defense.

Beyond that, the Raptors have several defensive issues:

(a) Valanciunas is still a below par defender. He is really good around the basket where he can use his size and length but he is terrible away from the hoop. Bad footspeed and bad footwork so he is often out of position. It's been strange to see his development change from a defender/rebounder when drafted into the offensive orientated center he is today.

(b) Toronto's main backup big men are undersized PFs who are below average defenders - Patrick Patterson & Tyler Hansbrough. Toronto's defense falls off whenever one of these guys come onto the floor. Patterson is a solid enough man-to-man defender but still hasn't learned how to play team defense. Hansbrough is a hustler who can't do much. Valanciunas is only a so-so defender but he still miles ahead of both Patterson and Hansbrough. Amir Johnson is their only legit above average defensive big man in the rotation.

(c) Toronto has a problem at the SG/SF slot alongside DeRozan. They can play a top defensive SF in James Johnson who doesn't contribute much offensively (1370 minutes), Terrence Ross (2,100 minutes, a good defensive SG who is moody and mailed it in all last season + who forces DeRozan to defend bigger wings where DeRozan is less effective,), or Greivis Vasquez who is well below average defensively at all 3 perimeter positions (2000 minutes). DeRozan missed 20 games last season which exposed their mismashed wing rotation even further.

(d) Toronto uses a lot of small two guard backcourts with Lowry, Lou Will and Vasquez.
(e) Lowry has let up a bit on defense to concentrate more on his offense. Still good but not as good as he has been in the past.

The backup big men is the biggest flaw. Wings 2nd. Small backcourts 3rd.

probably a bad defensive system coaching wise.

This has been talked about a lot too.

Main criticisms have been about (1) asking Valanciunas to step out too far on PnRs and not using him the same way Indiana does with Roy Hibbert or Charlotte does with Al Jefferson to try and hide their lack of footspeed / mobility (2) lineup choices which have left Toronto too small on the perimeter and often physically overmatched. The under-use of James Johnson has been a key factor in this one.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 09:34:31 AM by Who »

« Reply #364 on: July 02, 2015, 09:30:41 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I'm warming up to this move...he can be good and it's not long term.

« Reply #365 on: July 02, 2015, 01:44:45 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

« Reply #366 on: July 02, 2015, 01:51:36 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #367 on: July 02, 2015, 02:02:27 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
His career fg% is outstanding at .573% wow.

« Reply #368 on: July 02, 2015, 04:39:33 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Another person who likes the signing and has a realistic approach on things....

Kevin Pelton  (3:23 PM)

"I like Amir Johnson's fit quite a bit. He solidifies Boston's biggest weakness, rim protection. But realistically, a major leap forward this summer was always unlikely. With Kevin Love staying in Cleveland, the Celtics had no obvious avenues to huge upgrades in free agency. Boston may move sideways for awhile until the right deal for a star comes along. Improvement sometimes comes in fits and starts rather than a linear fashion."

« Reply #369 on: July 02, 2015, 04:43:49 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
His career fg% is outstanding at .573% wow.

And without just being a garbage guy around the rim like a lot of high % guys are.  He's not a major stretch guy but definitely can extend the range, even out to 3.

He and Zeller splitting time at C gives us some pretty efficient shooting with a decent amount of range to boot.  It should fit well with the offense.  And I'm hopeful Amir's block #s last year were just due to injury, because he's generally been a strong rim protector too (he was still pretty good last year despite his numbers being down).
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 04:52:20 PM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #370 on: July 02, 2015, 04:45:19 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Forsberg on ESPN Boston says the 2nd year of Jerebko and Johnson deals are non-guaranteed.  That's a big win for us and sets us up to have massive space / flexibility next summer in FA.

To do what?  Go after mediocrity?  Maybe we can sign jermaine oneal  to the max

« Reply #371 on: July 02, 2015, 04:50:42 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

"I like Amir Johnson's fit quite a bit. He solidifies Boston's biggest weakness, rim protection. But realistically, a major leap forward this summer was always unlikely. With Kevin Love staying in Cleveland, the Celtics had no obvious avenues to huge upgrades in free agency. Boston may move sideways for awhile until the right deal for a star comes along. Improvement sometimes comes in fits and starts rather than a linear fashion."
That sounds pretty realistic. Hopefully we can draft (or have drafted) a player that becomes a star.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #372 on: July 02, 2015, 04:54:18 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93

The question is how long do you think you can keep moving sideways and if you start running out of runway when do you have to take a risk.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #373 on: July 02, 2015, 04:58:12 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I hate that it seems that over half the fans here want our team to loose...How are the tanking teams looking now? NY and LAL are in the same place the started in. Philly's players don't even want to play for them.

« Reply #374 on: July 02, 2015, 04:58:38 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

To do what?  Go after mediocrity?  Maybe we can sign jermaine oneal  to the max

It is ironic that Danny has worked for years to clear cap space and collect assets in order to position the Cs for big-time moves, only to find that 1) no big-name FAs want to come here right now; 2) no big-time players are available in trade right now; and 3) every other team is soon going to have as much cap space, or more, thanks to the new TV contract, without having to do the cap-clearing work that Danny has done. All of this feels a little like a kick in the teeth ... or a little like tanking for Tim Duncan and getting Chauncey Billups and Ron Mercer instead.

But Danny seems committed to holding, holding, holding until the right deal comes along—and he seems to believe that the right deal will come along. I definitely have a hard time waiting through a multiyear holding pattern—quiet offseason, quite trade deadline, quiet draft, quiet offseason, and so on—but I also don't want him to overpay for second- or third-tier guys who'll move the needle only a little while crippling our cap situation.

Edit: I am excited to have IT and Crowdah for a full season (assuming Danny doesn't trade them ;D), and to see what good things might happen with guys like Smart, Rozier, Sully, and KO.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 05:14:26 PM by rocknrollforyoursoul »
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis