Author Topic: Amir Johnson to Celtics  (Read 72477 times)

Re: Amir Johnson to Celtics
« Reply #345 on: July 01, 2015, 11:26:03 PM »

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
The whole argument of free agents not wanting to come to Boston is unfounded.  There is no clear evidence of this. 

Yes, there is.  It's been shown time and time again. And adding a few wins to a sub .500 team isn't going to change it, either.

Since you claim that there's no evidence, however, perhaps you could give us a list of all the elite FAs that have left their team and signed in Boston as free agents since, say, 1995 (that would be a 20 year stretch, which is certainly large enough to have some significance)...?

ha, ha...you are late to the debate. first, name me when during that time boston had the money to lure free agents? then lets talk some more.  ;D

our rallying cry, this is our Bunker Hill.

WE. DON'T. GET. ELITE. FAs.

but i won't beat that drum anymore.  the proof is self evident now.  that said i do like the Amir signing, and i'm a fan of not doing much beyond 2 year deals.  have a feeling we'll be dumping what we have for any picks we can get in the coming years as well.  just keep rebuilding and retooling until we catch a break.

« Reply #346 on: July 01, 2015, 11:26:21 PM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
The whole argument of free agents not wanting to come to Boston is unfounded.  There is no clear evidence of this. 

Yes, there is.  It's been shown time and time again.  And adding a few wins to a sub .500 team isn't going to change it, either.

LOL. No, there isn't. Before this season, Ainge has never had cap space to use on a FA.

Wait.... Did you just seriously try to use cap space as an excuse for the complete lack of a top FA in Boston in the last, say 20 years?

Cap space is what you're going with?
just curious, but would you please explain how to sign top free agents without paying them piles of money? that is the most common route i know of.
it's actually quite easy you just go to league options then turn on trade override and then.. err wait we're actually talking about real nba cap err nevermind. ;D

« Reply #347 on: July 01, 2015, 11:29:35 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

Yes, there is.  It's been shown time and time again.  And adding a few wins to a sub .500 team isn't going to change it, either.

LOL. No, there isn't. Before this season, Ainge has never had cap space to use on a FA.

Wait.... Did you just seriously try to use cap space as an excuse for the complete lack of a top FA in Boston in the last, say 20 years?

Cap space is what you're going with?
just curious, but would you please explain how to sign top free agents without paying them piles of money? that is the most common route i know of.
it's actually quite easy you just go to league options then turn on trade override and then.. err wait we're actually talking about real nba cap err nevermind. ;D

No NBA team's ever traded player A in order to get space to sign player B?  San Antonio didn't free up space by trading away Splitter?  The Kings haven't opened up space by trading Jason Thompson, Carl Landry, etc...  to Philadelphia?

All these years of NBA salary cap maneuvering have been a long dream sequence, like Bobby being dead on Dallas?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 12:08:20 AM by Scintan »

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #348 on: July 01, 2015, 11:33:29 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
This article is a year old, but a great one explaining Johnson's value beyond the box score:

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/10844963/amir-johnson-hidden-gem-toronto-raptors

« Reply #349 on: July 01, 2015, 11:38:45 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
i just read that the second year of johnson's contract is NOT guaranteed. is this true? if so, ainge has pulled off a miracle to improve the front court of the celtics by getting a very good defender and a decent scorer at this price.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #350 on: July 01, 2015, 11:41:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
So, just a question --

All day Amir has been talked about as a good defensive player who improves the Celts on that end.

Yet, the Raptors were pretty terrible defensively last year.  What's the explanation there?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #351 on: July 02, 2015, 12:55:02 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
So, just a question --

All day Amir has been talked about as a good defensive player who improves the Celts on that end.

Yet, the Raptors were pretty terrible defensively last year.  What's the explanation there?

Trying to wrap my head around this a bit, too. He played 26 mpg last season, with a DRPM of 1.31. Teammates James Johnson (20mpg, 1.65 DRPM) and Hansbrough (14 mpg, 1.79 DRPM) were both higher, albeit it in limited minutes. Since DRPM's not taking into account teammates and usage (afaik), I'm trying to figure out what's going on here... not coming to me yet, though.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 01:11:55 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #352 on: July 02, 2015, 12:56:28 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
So, just a question --

Trying to wrap myself around this a bit, too. He played 26 mpg last season, with a DRPM of 1.31. Teammates James Johnson (20mpg, 1.65 DRPM) and Hansbrough (14 mpg, 1.79 DRPM) were both higher, albeit it in limited minutes. Since DRPM's not taking into account teammates and usage (afaik), I'm trying to figure out what's going on here... not coming to me yet, though.
probably a bad defensive system coaching wise.

« Reply #353 on: July 02, 2015, 01:11:10 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Actually if Amir Johnson's second year is non-guaranteed he becomes very valuable trade bait in year 2.  Because a team could dump salary with the Celtics, then immediately cut AJ to free up 12m in cap space. Very smart way to turn a 'bridge' player into a future asset by DA if his contract is accurately described.

zeller just got better
« Reply #354 on: July 02, 2015, 02:21:40 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
with addition of amir johnson-

« Reply #355 on: July 02, 2015, 02:34:33 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
So, just a question --

That they were even worse without him? Seems rational to me.

« Reply #356 on: July 02, 2015, 03:09:59 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Actually if Amir Johnson's second year is non-guaranteed he becomes very valuable trade bait in year 2.  Because a team could dump salary with the Celtics, then immediately cut AJ to free up 12m in cap space. Very smart way to turn a 'bridge' player into a future asset by DA if his contract is accurately described.
Fair enough.

So if we are doing it as a sign and trade using one of our trade exceptions, this is little more than essentially extending the expiration on the 12 mil exception... That's excusable, but not excellent. Excuse me if I'm not extremely excited... I expected more.

« Reply #357 on: July 02, 2015, 03:20:27 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Fair enough.

So if we are doing it as a sign and trade using one of our trade exceptions, this is little more than essentially extending the expiration on the 12 mil exception... That's excusable, but not excellent. Excuse me if I'm not extremely excited... I expected more.

If contract remains structured as reported, I don't know how it'll end up being a sign-and-trade, since it would have to be a three year contract. It could always be a 1 year guaranteed and then 2 non-guaranteed years, but something worth keeping an eye on.

« Reply #358 on: July 02, 2015, 03:34:27 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Of course... A year from now almost every single team in the league will have cap room to sign a max deal... So im not sure who these hypothetical teams are that will be desperate to give up value to Boston to free up another 12 mil.  Whatever.

« Reply #359 on: July 02, 2015, 03:36:18 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Of course... A year from now almost every single team in the league will have cap room to sign a max deal... So im not sure who these hypothetical teams are that will be desperate to give up value to Boston to free up another 12 mil.  Whatever.

A non-guaranteed is not traded to free up another 12 million. A non-guaranteed is valuable to trades so a team is more willing to make a trade with you without incurring future cap space in the process. That's the value of it, like say for arranging sign-and-trades.

Edit: I see what you mean now, you meant in us helping another team free up cap space. Yeah, we'll see.

Time to go to sleep it seems. :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 03:42:56 AM by BudweiserCeltic »