Author Topic: Amir Johnson to Celtics  (Read 72469 times)

Re: Amir Johnson to Celtics
« Reply #150 on: July 01, 2015, 04:53:31 PM »

Offline scotto1205

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
  • Learn to be you and only you
UPDATE!
Deals w/Amir Johnson and Jerebko have non-guaranteed 2nd years. Full story on Celtics' FA pursuits just posted. http://bit.ly/1FScuee - Steve Bulpett
That's great news! Johnson will be a good trade asset to have if he doens't pan out in Boston!

Agreed, wasn't a fan, but this gives a lot of flexibility.

We can have 17mil ready to go next offseason to trade for a disgruntled star or just get rid of. With Wallace going off the books next summer it looks like it will be time to play then. I guess another year of grooming all out young pieces wont be bad. I would still really like a big though. Len?!
"Maybe there is hope for us afterall

I post a lot of stuff on my phone autocorrect sucks.

« Reply #151 on: July 01, 2015, 04:54:18 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
He can be our Theo Ratlif contract to move in a year with young players and picks for a star.   :P

« Reply #152 on: July 01, 2015, 04:54:24 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Because they already did the blow up/bottom out thing.  That ship has sailed.  It's been pretty apparent that blowing it up again isn't the direction this organization is headed.  People can advocate "bottoming out" again until they're blue in the face but its not happening in '15-16.
I guess Danny has a lot of faith in his ability to make prime rib out of ground beef.

He made it happen once. But since then, nothing. Granted he didn't have the cap space or the assets to do something big. This year was his chance. So far, the draft pick and the signings have been under-whelming, imo.

The media/reporters praised him for getting all those assets, as did I, but it looks like those assets are worth flea market material at the moment.

Only to those who weren't reading the writing on the wall.  Having #16, #28, and a limited amount of cap space weren't exactly a recipe for a fireworks filled summer.
I thought that all along, but 12 million a year for Amir Johnson is just totally nutso.

It's only two years.  Not ideal but not exactly crippling, either.

Yeah, people need to chill out. With cap going up, his contract will be looking good next year. And this year it *might* be a bit expensive, but who cares? Given that we weren't getting a big FA, the only one who should be upset if anyone is the one who actually pays the salary, that is Wyc.

With a non-guaranteed 2nd year, I am hoping we don't see him next year. If he does well, he will demand even more; if he sucks, we won't want to keep him anyway.

« Reply #153 on: July 01, 2015, 04:54:41 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
UPDATE!
Deals w/Amir Johnson and Jerebko have non-guaranteed 2nd years. Full story on Celtics' FA pursuits just posted. http://bit.ly/1FScuee - Steve Bulpett
That's great news! Johnson will be a good trade asset to have if he doens't pan out in Boston!

so I guess c's aren't going to offer Harris a full max according to that article

Sources from other teams and within the player rep community say the C's are also in play for Tobias Harris and Corey Brewer, but in those cases the club is said to have its limits. There are salary and length-of-contract parameters for each that Boston will not exceed.

It is interesting to note that, from all accounts, the Celtics have had no contact at all with several other free agents with whom they've been linked in media reports.

In some of these cases, it's said to be because they are not particularly fond of the player's game, while in others it's because they've become aware the player is seeking more than they are willing to spend -- and may get it elsewhere in the open market.
[/b]
If that's true, it explains why he hasn't decided yet. I guess people hoping for another bad deal can forget about us getting Harris.

« Reply #154 on: July 01, 2015, 04:55:13 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
think of it this way. We replace Bass with Johnson.  Johnson is a better rebounder and shot blocker

« Reply #155 on: July 01, 2015, 04:55:25 PM »

Offline KingChre

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 21
Hi, I don't understand the salary cap, and I have no perspective on the rising value of player contracts - Almost everybody on this board.  ::)

#Readsomemoreyouareallirrational
Looking at my gucci, and it's about that time...

« Reply #156 on: July 01, 2015, 04:56:09 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
UPDATE!

Wow. That's two great moves by Danny.

Amazing how one update completely changes the perspective on these moves.

I'll take it.

I feel a little better about it, but still not a fan.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #157 on: July 01, 2015, 04:56:44 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
UPDATE!

A bit more palatable. Hopefully Johnson will play with a chip on his shoulder and turn into a keeper, or more likely, a useful trade piece.

This is AWESOME. $17m in non-guaranteed salary is a huge trade asset. Next year we'll be able to put together a sweet package for a star: non-guaranteed salaries and a pile of draft picks.

« Reply #158 on: July 01, 2015, 04:56:49 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides
think of it this way. We replace Bass with Johnson.  Johnson is a better rebounder and shot blocker

But we didn't need to replace Bass.

« Reply #159 on: July 01, 2015, 05:00:07 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
So, we signed JJ and Amir Johnson...great, we now have 5 power forwards. This can't remain like this, there has to be a trade on the way, that reduces payroll so we can sign or trade for a guy that can put the ball in the hole.

Amir is a defensive minded, hard working player, that can score a little too. I wouldn't mind having him play 28-30 minutes a game the PF position, if we up graded at SF with a solid scorer.

I alway stick-up for DA, I alway say I trust him.

I'm currently at a loss for words.

« Reply #160 on: July 01, 2015, 05:02:40 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
So, we signed JJ and Amir Johnson...great, we now have 5 power forwards. This can't remain like this, there has to be a trade on the way, that reduces payroll so we can sign or trade for a guy that can put the ball in the hole.

Amir is a defensive minded, hard working player, that can score a little too. I wouldn't mind having him play 28-30 minutes a game the PF position, if we up graded at SF with a solid scorer.

I alway stick-up for DA, I alway say I trust him.

I'm currently at a loss for words.
I trust Ainge too. I am having trouble rationalizing these signings but the fact that year 2 is nongarunteed is pretty big.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #161 on: July 01, 2015, 05:07:42 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 162
  • Green 18!
I don't get it. Why does everyone say that they are happy to have the second year non-guaranteed? We just signed the guy and everyone already sees them as expiring contracts to get rid of.

« Reply #162 on: July 01, 2015, 05:08:40 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
12 a year is totally fair and an option for year 2 is some NFL business.  Amazing Ainge pulled that off.

Fun fact: Amir Johnson was 24 pts, 14 reb, 2 blk per 48 mins at C last year.

http://www.82games.com/1415/14TOR9.HTM

I don't get it. Why does everyone say that they are happy to have the second year non-guaranteed? We just signed the guy and everyone already sees them as expiring contracts to get rid of.

Because it maintains flexibility.  Everyone's worry is we tie ourselves up in contracts for lesser players and can't get an All Star type via trade or signing when we actually have a shot.

If we needed the room we could cut the second year or we could trade him to another team who could cut him if they wanted.  It's perfect.

Personally I am quite excited by Johnson though on his own.  He is a really physical player who is great rolling to the rim.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #163 on: July 01, 2015, 05:10:06 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides
Gotta admit though, Danny did add to Canada Day fireworks.

« Reply #164 on: July 01, 2015, 05:13:23 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Flexibility is the key word ;D!
Non-guarenteed contracts can come in handy in trades next season if teams are looking to clear their cap space in order to sign other players! We just saw that today in the trade between Spurs and Hawks regarding the contract of Tiago Splitter ;)!
Jack of all trades, master of none.