Author Topic: [Love] Love returning to Cleveland.  (Read 7942 times)

Re: [Love] Love returning to Cleveland.
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2015, 03:07:43 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I like that he chose not to hop around the league at a young age. He is sacrificing some things to win a chip. I'm sure he has talked to some of the rich guys who were great players but never won a ring, guys who would probably give up money and more if they could have a chip. You think about the money at the time but taking a few mil less but being a champ is what you will think about when you retire.

I know it's said retired players go broke after 5 yrs but let's not act like if they take the money over a chip they won't lose the extra money all the same, if your bad with money you're bad with it no matter the amount. Hell, at least you can sell your autograph for more when you get the ring, endorsements,  all types of things you can benefit from if you win after you retire.

I think he's doing the right thing and I hope he never wins on top of that haha!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2015, 03:07:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
With cavs giving thompson 80 mil and re-signing Love.... do they intend to start both?   Crazy situation... Maybe they'll trade Love eventually.

Cavs have 3 legit allstars and adequate role players in Mozgov, Delly, TT, Jr, SHump,Andy. All they could use is another back up 1 and 3. They have ZERO reason to trade Klove

i see

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2015, 03:09:19 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
With cavs giving thompson 80 mil and re-signing Love.... do they intend to start both?   Crazy situation... Maybe they'll trade Love eventually.
My guess is it will be something like this

C - Mozgov 25, Thompson 15, Varejao 8
PF - Love 35, Thompson 13

In the playoffs Varejao gets squeezed out with Love and Thompson each getting a bit more minutes.

And I really don't get this notion that Love is some how a glorified role player.  I mean he averaged a horrible 16.7 points, 9.7 rebounds, and 2.2 assists playing 34 minutes on the team that reached the NBA Finals and was the 2nd best team in the Eastern Conference during the regular season. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2015, 03:09:35 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
So what happened to "winning takes sacrifice and players who aren't willing to do that are selfish and only focused on personal accolades"?

I don't see how you can have it both ways. We kill guys like Melo for taking the money and getting their numbers, but then we turn around and kill guys for Love for settling in the name of winning.

People complain for the sake of complaining.

I am finding it hard to find the right words ...

I can understand a guy like Gary Payton who is in his mid-30s accept a minor role on a team to try and get a title before he calls it a day. That makes sense to me. This guy was a warrior who battle every day to lead his team to a title. Now, he is older, he is past his prime. The individual accomplishments are past. He is no longer fit to play a starring role on a team. He is on his way down and out. Last challenge is to win a title. I can understand a star player like that accepting a much much smaller role on a title contender to have a shot at a Championship.

What I cannot understand is a 26 year star just entering his prime ... a guy who has had seasons where he averaged 20/15, 26/13, 26/12.5 ... a guy, who for my money, is the second most skilled offensive big man in the league behind Dirk Nowitzki ... a guy that talented and clearly capable of playing a starring role on a title contender (more likely as a #2 than #1 guy) turn around and happily accept his team turning him into a Ryan Anderson level role player. To have that talent and to be content to be ignored by his teammates time and time again down the court. To be belittled and mistreated.

This is not sacrifice. Sacrifice is moving from #1 guy in Minnesota to being a #2 or maybe even #3 guy where he still plays major role for his team.

That isn't happening in Cleveland. It is a two man show there. It's LeBron and LeBron's sidekick Kyrie Irving. Everyone else is diminished to role player status. Those two guys want their touches and they are not sharing them. They don't care about getting the most out of their teammates. They care about getting the most out of themselves and the players around them learning to fit in with them so they can show the most of their own talents. You don't fit, screw you.

This isn't sacrifice. Not to me. This is a failure to compete. A failure to challenge oneself. Hiding in the shadows. Content never to push yourself. To never show your true talent. To hide from the challenge of competing at the highest level you are capable of competing at.

And it disgusts me.

... and yet, I could understand it if he did it for the money but he didn't even do that right! Take a one-two year deal and then really cash in with new salary cap.

What a waste of talent. We should be celebrating and enjoying this wonderfully skilled big man for years to come. Instead we get to watch him being ignored repeatedly by his teammates and coaches. What a waste.

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2015, 03:12:17 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Man, the Cavs are going to be nasty this year

« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2015, 03:12:51 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
So what happened to "winning takes sacrifice and players who aren't willing to do that are selfish and only focused on personal accolades"?

I don't see how you can have it both ways. We kill guys like Melo for taking the money and getting their numbers, but then we turn around and kill guys for Love for settling in the name of winning.

I can understand a guy like Gary Payton who is in his mid-30s accept a minor role on a team to try and get a title before he calls it a day. That makes sense to me. This guy was a warrior who battle every day to lead his team to a title. Now, he is older, he is past his prime. The individual accomplishments are past. He is no longer fit to play a starring role on a team. He is on his way down and out. Last challenge is to win a title. I can understand a star player like that accepting a much much smaller role on a title contender to have a shot at a Championship.

What I cannot understand is a 26 year star just entering his prime ... a guy who has had seasons where he averaged 20/15, 26/13, 26/12.5 ... a guy, who for my money, is the second most skilled offensive big man in the league behind Dirk Nowitzki ... a guy that talented and clearly capable of playing a starring role on a title contender (more likely as a #2 than #1 guy) turn around and happily accept his team turning him into a Ryan Anderson level role player. To have that talent and to be content to be ignored by his teammates time and time again down the court. To be belittled and mistreated.

This is not sacrifice. Sacrifice is moving from #1 guy in Minnesota to being a #2 or maybe even #3 guy where he still plays major role for his team.

That isn't happening in Cleveland. It is a two man show there. It's LeBron and LeBron's sidekick Kyrie Irving. Everyone else is diminished to role player status. Those two guys want their touches and they are not sharing them. They don't care about getting the most out of their teammates. They care about getting the most out of themselves and the players around them learning to fit in with them so they can show the most of their own talents. You don't fit, screw you.

This isn't sacrifice. Not to me. This is a failure to compete. A failure to challenge oneself. Hiding in the shadows. Content never to push yourself. To never show your true talent. To hide from the challenge of competing at the highest level you are capable of competing at.

And it disgusts me.

... and yet, I could understand it if he did it for the money but he didn't even do that right!
Love's decreased stats in his first season with a ton of roster turnover actually decreased less than Bosh did when he moved from Toronto to Miami.  They were about the same age as well. 

And again I'm not sure that basically 17/10 is a glorified role player.  He afterall would have been Boston's second leading scorer and leading rebounder (by over 2 a game).  I find it hard to call that a role player.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2015, 03:13:15 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

And it disgusts me.

... and yet, I could understand it if he did it for the money but he didn't even do that right! Take a one-two year deal and then really cash in with new salary cap.

What a waste of talent. We should be celebrating and enjoying this wonderfully skilled big man for years to come. Instead we get to watch him being ignored repeatedly by his teammates and coaches. What a waste.

TP, my thoughts exactly.

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2015, 03:13:38 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Man, the Cavs are going to be nasty this year

If the Spurs swing LMA, we could have one helluva collision course.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2015, 03:13:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I knew it. It was either the Cavs or the LAkers. Unless laker were willing to give him 25 million a season, Love was not going to leave

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2015, 05:10:27 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
No surprise at all. I knew it. Perfect situation for a guy that wants to be a 3rd option.
Chill Kevin, Labron will carry the ball most of the time.

Love resigned with Cleveland
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2015, 08:43:50 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I didn't see a thread about this but 5 years 110 million. Seems like he's pretty much locked there.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13181983/kevin-love-agrees-five-year-110-million-contract-cleveland-cavaliers

I'm still happy with our roster and wanted to build from within anyways. I don't see us as a 8th seed again this year.   We have improving players that should vault us to the top of the east. I predict we win our division this year.

Fans are going to freak out but so what.  I really like our team.

Re: Love resigned with Cleveland
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2015, 08:46:57 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
The reason for my optimism is just that. We have good young players.  Stars are made not born anyways.  Sully was playing like a top 10 player at points last year until he got hurt.  Love would not have been a huge upgrade.  Sully is young. It takes guys a bit.

« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2015, 08:48:02 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
The reason for my optimism is just that. We have good young players.  Stars are made not born anyways.  Sully was playing like a top 10 player at points last year until he got hurt.  Love would not have been a huge upgrade.  Sully is young. It takes guys a bit.

A top 10 player on the Celtics.  I agree with that.

« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2015, 08:48:05 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Thank God we didn't sign him.
Love couldn't even handle Kelly Olynyk.

« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2015, 08:49:14 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I like the chemistry on our roster anyways. Stars are born through adversity if they are tough enough and I think our guys are.  I love Marcus and Isiaiah and Rozier and Bradley and  KO and Sully and all these guys.