Author Topic: No overpays  (Read 1367 times)

No overpays
« on: July 01, 2015, 02:24:36 PM »

Offline TheSlipperyWhistle

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
I don't want an overpaid Tobias Harris. I don't want an overpaid Jae Crowder. Let them pass/walk. Get worse to get better. The past 3 months of playoffs/draft/FA run up have me thinking 3 things:

1. We don't have a true asset to our name.
2. One top 10 pick is worth 6 number 16's.
3. I am a new resident in tanksville.

Look at Philly. I know their culture is shot and no one goes to their games right now, but soon... they will have one of the better teams in the league (through dev or trade).

We don't get top FA's. And GM's are weary of Ainge because he rarely looses a trade... (Rondo, BKLN). So the draft is our only option IMO.

Re: No overpays
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 02:27:24 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
One of the ways to display a favorable atmosphere toward Free Agents is by signing players to what some fans might consider "overpaying" contracts.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 02:27:41 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
I think we've chosen our path and unfortunately it involves competing in this free agent market for young talent, which unfortunately also means overpaying.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 02:34:19 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
The salary cap was $63m in 2014/2015 and is projected to be $108m in 2017/2018.  That's a 70% increase in 3 years.  It's almost impossible to overpay right now.

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 02:37:37 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Dump bass and ET

Sign

Harris

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 02:54:31 PM »

Offline TheSlipperyWhistle

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
I know the cap is increasing by a huge margin.. the point I would argue is the these players will push us into greater stages of mediocrity. You think Harris and resigning Crowder puts us in a better spot? Maybe a 5 seed? If we overachieve  again. NBA purgatory. Not good enough to truly compete. Not bad enough to have decent odds at a pick. And no one comes to Boston in FA.... EVER. Washed up Vin Baker? I feel like overpaying in FA for some teams creates a bit of a frenzy. For us it just sticks us with a big bill for marginal talent.

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 02:57:17 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
I don't want an overpaid Tobias Harris. I don't want an overpaid Jae Crowder. Let them pass/walk. Get worse to get better. The past 3 months of playoffs/draft/FA run up have me thinking 3 things:

1. We don't have a true asset to our name.
2. One top 10 pick is worth 6 number 16's.
3. I am a new resident in tanksville.

Look at Philly. I know their culture is shot and no one goes to their games right now, but soon... they will have one of the better teams in the league (through dev or trade).

We don't get top FA's. And GM's are weary of Ainge because he rarely looses a trade... (Rondo, BKLN). So the draft is our only option IMO.

Define overpay.

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 03:07:50 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I know the cap is increasing by a huge margin.. the point I would argue is the these players will push us into greater stages of mediocrity. You think Harris and resigning Crowder puts us in a better spot? Maybe a 5 seed? If we overachieve  again. NBA purgatory. Not good enough to truly compete. Not bad enough to have decent odds at a pick. And no one comes to Boston in FA.... EVER. Washed up Vin Baker? I feel like overpaying in FA for some teams creates a bit of a frenzy. For us it just sticks us with a big bill for marginal talent.

Love and Aldridge are not coming to Boston and we aren't going to tank.  Harris and Crowder are about the two most talented guys we can get.  No, we won't be a contender, but we will improve and these guys' contracts will become very tradeable over the next couple of years. 

I'm not sure how else we can improve long term.  And again, Ainge and Stevens aren't tanking.

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 03:07:56 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
The salary cap was $63m in 2014/2015 and is projected to be $108m in 2017/2018.  That's a 70% increase in 3 years.  It's almost impossible to overpay right now.

This is really the bottom line.  The 15 mil range for Tobias at the max is going to be fine as the salary cap jumps.  It might actually turn him into a valuable trade asset if he can improve at all.  We need to do whatever we can to improve the talent level on the team, and find guys who can score.

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 03:09:05 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
It looks like the celts and Mavs are bidding for Jae Crowder. If he gets too much I don't wan that guy here. Sorry, but we are not winning a ship with him.

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 03:21:10 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
"No overpays." Wasn't that a song by TLC?

Oh, wait, that was "No scrubs." Well, you say potato...

Mike