Author Topic: UPDATE: Celtics "frontrunner" to sign Harris, reports Steve Kyler  (Read 19107 times)

Re: UPDATE: Celtics "frontrunner" to sign Harris, reports Steve Kyler
« Reply #105 on: July 01, 2015, 03:38:30 PM »

Offline sadleprechaun

• NCE
  • The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8

Who else here is trying to get themselves excited about Harris?

Watching highlights and breakdowns... he looks to me like a less athletic Jeff Green. As a scorer he seems like a very similar player-- you guys who have been following him more closely, how does the comparison strike you?

The big differences would be (1) he's a more active rebounder than Green has ever been, and (2) as everyone loves to point out he's only 22 years old.

Abstractly speaking, if you had a guy who could give you prime 28yo Jeff Green's game and production in a 22yo body, how much is that worth?

It makes me wonder why we traded Jeff Green who was making less money.

Jeff Green is 28 years old.

This tool does comps and takes factors like age into account:
http://nyloncalculus.com/stats/layne-vashros-nba-player-comparison-tool/

The closest comp for Harris' 2014-2015 season?  Jeff Green's 2008-2009 season.

I'm still thoroughly unimpressed.

« Reply #106 on: July 01, 2015, 03:40:59 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 872
  • GOT IT!!!

Who else here is trying to get themselves excited about Harris?

Watching highlights and breakdowns... he looks to me like a less athletic Jeff Green. As a scorer he seems like a very similar player-- you guys who have been following him more closely, how does the comparison strike you?

The big differences would be (1) he's a more active rebounder than Green has ever been, and (2) as everyone loves to point out he's only 22 years old.

Abstractly speaking, if you had a guy who could give you prime 28yo Jeff Green's game and production in a 22yo body, how much is that worth?

It makes me wonder why we traded Jeff Green who was making less money.

Jeff Green is 28 years old.

This tool does comps and takes factors like age into account:
http://nyloncalculus.com/stats/layne-vashros-nba-player-comparison-tool/

The closest comp for Harris' 2014-2015 season?  Jeff Green's 2008-2009 season.

I'm still thoroughly unimpressed.

I'm not impressed by either player. One has upside and the other reached his ceiling tho.

« Reply #107 on: July 01, 2015, 03:41:33 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 872
  • GOT IT!!!
I'd still rather sign Jae Crowder and a guy like Corey Brewer and get Kevin Love though if at all possible.  If it isn't Harris makes the most sense.

Where you been? Love is resigning with the Cavs.

Re: Washburn: Magic won't match max offer to Tobias Harris
« Reply #108 on: July 01, 2015, 04:55:21 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Giving max money to non-max players is a mistake.  I know he is young, and has decent numbers, but what impact does he have on winning?

Do you want to get better now? Or tank for a decade like Philly. 15 million will be nothing next year and nothing at all the following y year when real max guys will be getting 40, yes 40 million per year.

How does 15 million sound  then for a 24 year old SF, that could avg 20 ppg and 7 RPG locked up for another 2 years. He will feel like an idiot for not taking a shorter deal.

« Reply #109 on: July 01, 2015, 05:02:42 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I don't really see what the debate is about?  We need to improve our overall talent level on the team across the board.  Every single starter could be replaced if we are able to find the talent.  Is Harris going to lead us to a huge win turnaround, probably not.  But if he is the best free agent that we are able to swing you absolutely grab him, especially if he is locked up at a team friendly deal as the cap goes up and up over the next few years.  I mean in 3 years his deal might be seen as a bargin, and he might still improve as a player.  At worst that gives us someone of great trade value to package to get a superstar even if he doesn't become our next superstar.

TP blink, you said it. What are we even debating here. Do you want to get better or not. If not we don't sign anyone else, trade Sully and Bradley and become Philly.
 If you want us to improve shut up and let Wyc spend big dollars to get a young talent. It's not your cash, and we are not landing Durant or the like anytime soon.

« Reply #110 on: July 01, 2015, 05:13:05 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I don't really see what the debate is about?  We need to improve our overall talent level on the team across the board.  Every single starter could be replaced if we are able to find the talent.  Is Harris going to lead us to a huge win turnaround, probably not.  But if he is the best free agent that we are able to swing you absolutely grab him, especially if he is locked up at a team friendly deal as the cap goes up and up over the next few years.  I mean in 3 years his deal might be seen as a bargin, and he might still improve as a player.  At worst that gives us someone of great trade value to package to get a superstar even if he doesn't become our next superstar.

TP blink, you said it. What are we even debating here. Do you want to get better or not. If not we don't sign anyone else, trade Sully and Bradley and become Philly.
 If you want us to improve shut up and let Wyc spend big dollars to get a young talent. It's not your cash, and we are not landing Durant or the like anytime soon.

Exactly.  Standing around looking at a handful of money isn't gonna improve the team.  Geez we've 1000 pgs and pfs on this team.