Author Topic: Who Needs Free Agency?  (Read 3826 times)

Re: Who Needs Free Agency?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 11:10:07 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
No way would I trade Smart + Sullinger + Brooklyn 1st rnd for Noel.

Sullinger would have been a top 5 pick if GMs weren't worried about his back. Smart was pick #6 and who knows what the 1st rnd pick will be. You would want to face these guys for years to come - not me. Smart is tenacious and will improve significantly. Sullinger is a beast on the boards even if undersized vertically.  Don't do it.

Sullinger is a borderline starter who may end up dropping out of the league before he hits age 30 solely because of weight issues.  He's ideally a stretch 4 with some post scoring ability and decent rebounding, but he's never been able to hit the outside shot consistently for an extended stretch of time.

Smart is a beefier version of Patrick Beverley.  I love him, but if you can trade an elite defensive role player at combo guard for an elite defensive role player at center, you do it, always.

Agree to disagree.
seconded. pho has good points, but to me he is basically projecting pessimistic scenarios for smart and sully while projecting an optimistic one for noel. not a compelling comparison when done that way.

for example, what if... noel becomes the anti-sully and never puts on weight? he gets pushed around under the basket, and continues to have raw offensive game, and never develops a 3 point shot or even mid-range shot as good as sully, ever.

see?

rather, as is often the case, the reality will be some where in between. noel will probably be a great defensive talent, but not so much on offense. his shooting thus far shows no indication of him being anything but a close to the basket player.

sully, when overweight and out of shape is putting up almost 13/8 and has a shooting range that far surpasses noel's. noel is at about 10/8 and plays more minutes. so the rebounding is about even. noel is way better on defense, but sully is not chopped liver on offense.

on top of that, to add smart AND a brooklyn first rounder for noel? for me, that is an overpay.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 11:22:22 AM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2015, 02:30:27 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Sullinger would have been a top 5 pick if GMs weren't worried about his back. Smart was pick #6 and who knows what the 1st rnd pick will be. You would want to face these guys for years to come - not me. Smart is tenacious and will improve significantly. Sullinger is a beast on the boards even if undersized vertically.  Don't do it.

Sullinger is a borderline starter who may end up dropping out of the league before he hits age 30 solely because of weight issues.  He's ideally a stretch 4 with some post scoring ability and decent rebounding, but he's never been able to hit the outside shot consistently for an extended stretch of time.

Smart is a beefier version of Patrick Beverley.  I love him, but if you can trade an elite defensive role player at combo guard for an elite defensive role player at center, you do it, always.

Agree to disagree.
seconded. pho has good points, but to me he is basically projecting pessimistic scenarios for smart and sully while projecting an optimistic one for noel. not a compelling comparison when done that way.

for example, what if... noel becomes the anti-sully and never puts on weight? he gets pushed around under the basket, and continues to have raw offensive game, and never develops a 3 point shot or even mid-range shot as good as sully, ever.

see?

rather, as is often the case, the reality will be some where in between. noel will probably be a great defensive talent, but not so much on offense. his shooting thus far shows no indication of him being anything but a close to the basket player.

sully, when overweight and out of shape is putting up almost 13/8 and has a shooting range that far surpasses noel's. noel is at about 10/8 and plays more minutes. so the rebounding is about even. noel is way better on defense, but sully is not chopped liver on offense.

on top of that, to add smart AND a brooklyn first rounder for noel? for me, that is an overpay.
The problem with this analysis is Noel has already shown he is one of the best big man defenders in the league.  The Sixers were a top 10 defense with Noel on the floor and were something like dead last without him on the floor.  His defensive numbers as a rookie were unprecedented in league history.  If he never gets better defensively he will still be a candidate for DPOY every year.  He is that good and is that good already.  If he improves his offense to even a respectable level, he will be a MVP candidate. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2015, 02:39:16 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Agree to disagree.

see?

The problem with this analysis is Noel has already shown he is one of the best big man defenders in the league.  The Sixers were a top 10 defense with Noel on the floor and were something like dead last without him on the floor.  His defensive numbers as a rookie were unprecedented in league history.  If he never gets better defensively he will still be a candidate for DPOY every year.  He is that good and is that good already.  If he improves his offense to even a respectable level, he will be a MVP candidate.

All-Defensive Team candidate?  Definitely.
DPOY candidate?  Possibly.
All-NBA Team candidate? Doubtful.
MVP candidate?  Give me a break.

No player with just "respectable" offense will ever be a MVP candidate.  Even if you think he's a better defender than Anthony Davis, Davis' offensive game is so good that the two aren't comparable as players. 
I'm bitter.