Author Topic: What Happens If We Can't Sign A Quality Free Agent  (Read 9587 times)

Re: What Happens If We Can't Sign A Quality Free Agent
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2015, 10:51:36 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Try to take advantage of other teams needing to shed salary. 

This.  Golden State (Lee), New Jersey (Johnson) and Miami (Chalmers, McBob, etc) are all teams that may give up pick a two if someone helps them shed some salary.

I would prefer not to go after Lee just because I'm not sure what value Golden State really has to offer (a pick that's gonna end up in the 25-30 range?  meh), and David Lee will want to play.

The Lakers have contracts they need to shed, too.
I just don't see what quality asset we could get for helping any of those teams.

I like Splitter and Hibbert as one year additions in salary dumps but I don't think either push us to 50 wins and I'm not sure what assets their teams would give up to move them.

Oh I agree, we're not going to add a player that way who would help us win a lot more games.

You've got to lower your expectations.  The idea would be to pick up additional minor assets, like a pick that might go as high as the middle of the 1st round if all goes well.  Ideally 2017 or later, since we already have too many picks next summer.
pho has the right of it on a number of posts concerning what the celtics should do next season. unless a really good, game improving player comes this summer through FA, then i hope ainge continues the rebuild, plays the kids, takes a step back in w/l, and plays the lottery.

one step back today, two steps forward tomorrow. if they are going to lose, i would rather watch young, rozier, smart, and hunter play minutes, make mistakes, and learn, then watch older players eat up their minutes. (bass being bye bye this year will help.)

i knew this rebuild was on schedule for 5 years and this is year 3 coming up. i am patient and can wait for the second marshmellow.  :)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2015, 10:53:04 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Life will go on, true fans will stick by the team, casual fans will lose interest, and this is how it is usually is folks.
Pretty much.

Indeed, true fans will continue to spend inordinate amounts of their lives following and talking about this team even as they disappoint and continue to slosh about in the mire of indefinite rebuilding.

I envy casual fans sometimes.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2015, 10:53:38 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Let our FAs walk. Don't overpay any other FA. Play the kids. Move Turner and Bradley for value if we can. Re-assess mid-year.

Yup, though I'd be OK with keeping Crowder.  As FWF notes, we'll need SOMEBODY to eat up minutes at the 3.

I'd throw in "trade Sullinger, or Olynyk if there's a greater return."  I'm ready to move on from trying to play those guys together.  Would like to see the team get tougher and more athletic in the frontcourt.  Mickey is a good start, Zeller is OK.

Oops. I didn't mean to lump Crowder in there. I'd keep him for anything up to the 4/24 range.

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2015, 10:56:32 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Let our FAs walk. Don't overpay any other FA. Play the kids. Move Turner and Bradley for value if we can. Re-assess mid-year.

Yup, though I'd be OK with keeping Crowder.  As FWF notes, we'll need SOMEBODY to eat up minutes at the 3.

I'd throw in "trade Sullinger, or Olynyk if there's a greater return."  I'm ready to move on from trying to play those guys together.  Would like to see the team get tougher and more athletic in the frontcourt.  Mickey is a good start, Zeller is OK.

Oops. I didn't mean to lump Crowder in there. I'd keep him for anything up to the 4/24 range.

What about $4 / 30?  Best case after that Aminu deal he asks for a shorter deal with greater AAV e.g. 2 years / $17 million or 3 years / $24 million or something.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2015, 10:58:34 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo

If SAS are intent on moving Splitter to reduce payroll and pursue Aldridge, how about Splitter for Diaw 2.0 (i.e. KO)?

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2015, 10:59:49 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo

What about $4 / 30?  Best case after that Aminu deal he asks for a shorter deal with greater AAV e.g. 2 years / $17 million or 3 years / $24 million or something.

I think a longer deal is more appealing from the C's perspective actually, because in 3 years he'll be an attractive bargain pickup for a contender.

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2015, 10:59:58 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

If SAS are intent on moving Splitter to reduce payroll and pursue Aldridge, how about Splitter for Diaw 2.0 (i.e. KO)?
If they are moving Splitter to clear up cap space, they wouldn't want anything back. The deal would be like Splitter who gets absorbed into our TPE or cap space for a 2nd round pick that is top 55 protected.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2015, 11:02:23 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Splitter is 30 and very injury prone.  Plus I think he'll look a lot worse when he's not playing off Tim Duncan under Pop's tutelage.  On top of that, picks from the Spurs are not very useful since they rarely end up lower than 25.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2015, 11:05:26 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo

If they are moving Splitter to clear up cap space, they wouldn't want anything back. The deal would be like Splitter who gets absorbed into our TPE or cap space for a 2nd round pick that is top 55 protected.

They'd save over $6 million by taking KO back.

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2015, 11:09:02 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Try to take advantage of other teams needing to shed salary. 

This.  Golden State (Lee), New Jersey (Johnson) and Miami (Chalmers, McBob, etc) are all teams that may give up pick a two if someone helps them shed some salary.

I would prefer not to go after Lee just because I'm not sure what value Golden State really has to offer (a pick that's gonna end up in the 25-30 range?  meh), and David Lee will want to play.

The Lakers have contracts they need to shed, too.

I don't think GS can trade their 1st rounder until 2019.  If we could get an unprotected 2019 1st for taking on Lee, I'd definitely think about it.  A lot can happen in 4 years.

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2015, 11:26:31 AM »

Offline GreenGoggles

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 76
Well I think we need to make a much larger effort in the player development department. I think we got to the playoffs on the backs of some vets that won't be here this year and missed out on a nice player.

I would let go of ET, Bass and try to find value where we can for Sully/KO/AB.

I would give Smart more of a role / chance at becoming our future at the PG spot, and let Young get some reps in.

I think last season we did a disservice to our rookies and I hope we don't make the same mistake this season.

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2015, 11:33:10 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
If the C's don't add any talent via trade or FA, they are back in the lottery next season.  Which is fine if they clear the log jam at the guard positions and just play the kids.  The East is going to be pretty decent next season.  I would think the Heat and Cavs are the best two teams in the East?

I think the C's will have two lottery picks next season.  I don't think the C's or the Nets will make the playoffs...

We say this kind of thing every year -- oh, the East will be stronger.  All of these teams are getting better.

Yet every year, half those teams we thought were getting better flounder instead and two or three of the teams that were good in the past fall down the standings for one reason or another.

I wouldn't chance it.  Sell off some of the superfluous pieces to create playing time for the young guys.  Let's get a top 10 pick.  If the Nets end up in the lottery, awesome.  But let's not plan on that.

How likely/realistic is it that we can shed some guys to make a full-out youth movement?

Turner, Bass, Zeller make us better. I'm not sure we will be bad enough to hit the bottom of the barrel, even in the event of an injury. Can't see trading IT unless we are flirting with disaster, and I'd imagine he contributes a lot to Ws (not referencing any advanced stats here, just assuming, so correct me if I'm wrong).

Poorly informed post, but curious to know your thoughts. I can't figure out best-case scenario right now...
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2015, 11:33:38 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
What happens if we sign Harris, Brewer & Love, then trade AB/KO/picks for Gordon Hayward? 

Smart/ Thomas
Hayward/ Brewer
Harris/ Crowder
Love
Zeller/ Sully

That'd be a pretty nice squad right there...

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2015, 11:33:56 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Then next year will probably be a very long year.  :-(
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2015, 11:45:24 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
What happens if we sign Harris, Brewer & Love, then trade AB/KO/picks for Gordon Hayward? 

Smart/ Thomas
Hayward/ Brewer
Harris/ Crowder
Love
Zeller/ Sully

That'd be a pretty nice squad right there...

not a championship team in my opinion, but a very fun team to watch in my opinion. Definitely an improvement, and I like it