Author Topic: AROUND THE LEAGUE NEWS (so far)  (Read 14029 times)

Re: AROUND THE LEAGUE NEWS (so far)
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2015, 10:48:07 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Chris Broussard  ?@Chris_Broussard
Sources: @Paulmillsap4 met w/Orlando last night, was offered Mac 4 yr, $80 million deal. Millsap will decide Btwn ATL & Orl.
9:48 AM - 1 Jul 2015

Steve Kyler  ?@stevekylerNBA
Paul Millsap to Orlando concept has been out there, a situation to watch is Tobias Harris to Hawks as part of a sign and trade
9:46 AM - 1 Jul 2015

Looks like our chances for Ben Simmons or Thon Maker are increasing exponentially in the past few weeks

Trade Bradley, Turner, and Sullinger for picks and rookie contract players and let's have another development year.

Love that idea.

I never followed the Cs, from armchair GM/CsBlog perspective, until recent years. Have we had true, all-out tanking years in the past? Can't see it happening with this group and coach, but it would be nice. Also can't believe I just said that. :P

We tanked for Duncan.

Anyways, organization has clearly shown they won't tank these days.  Ainge prefers just collecting assets for trade.

Actually, we tanked for Kenny Anderson

How did we tank for Kenny Anderson? We didn't draft him.

Anderson was selected by the New Jersey Nets with the second pick in the 1991 NBA Draft.

He means that we missed out on Duncan and got Billups instead, who we then traded for Kenny Anderson. I still don't think it was as bad as others around here think (Billups took years to develop), but Anderson certainly was no Duncan.

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2015, 10:50:07 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Sources: @Paulmillsap4 met w/Orlando last night, was offered Mac 4 yr, $80 million deal. Millsap will decide Btwn ATL & Orl.

Paul Millsap to Orlando concept has been out there, a situation to watch is Tobias Harris to Hawks as part of a sign and trade

Looks like our chances for Ben Simmons or Thon Maker are increasing exponentially in the past few weeks

Trade Bradley, Turner, and Sullinger for picks and rookie contract players and let's have another development year.

Love that idea.

I never followed the Cs, from armchair GM/CsBlog perspective, until recent years. Have we had true, all-out tanking years in the past? Can't see it happening with this group and coach, but it would be nice. Also can't believe I just said that. :P

We aren't going to tank.  We didn't last year and won't do it this year.

As they say in the memes:

wat.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2015, 10:50:50 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
^ correct. We tanked for Durant, too.

edit: in before this topic gets closed after a furious couple of pages where people attempt to say that we didn't tank for Durant, we were just bad, and the various picking of nits that follows.

You just never know how things work out. We could have won the lottery that year , taken Oden, and miss out on the KG era and stay in perpetual misery.

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2015, 10:53:04 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
I'm rooting more heavily for the Lakers to strike out in free agency than I am for the Celtics to do anything at all.

Anyone else know this feel?

??? No.

Once Kobe is gone so is that team, unless KD or Lebron go there. LMA couldn't save Portland with Lillard, Matthews, and Lopez, why could he do it with Russel and Randle? Same goes for Love.

The whole laker situation and their direction confuses me.  Lets say they get Aldridge.  I agree with you that just adding him doesn't do much.  I still think, while a better one, they're still a lottery team.  You'd think a big free agent who is 30 wouldn't join a team to wait for the rookies to come around.  So what next?  Use the rookies to trade for an impact player on a bad team that's looking to go young and rebuild?  I don't think the salaries would match (established player versus rookie pay scale) so what else would the lakers include to entice the other team? 

I'm no salary cap expert.  Can they sign more than one free agent this year?  Next year they'll have a lot of space (cap increases and Kobe comes off the books) but again, does a 30 year old free agent want to join this team, likely be in the lottery and hope that a big name free agent ditches a lot of money and more years from their current team just to join the lakers?

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2015, 10:53:15 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
^ correct. We tanked for Durant, too.

edit: in before this topic gets closed after a furious couple of pages where people attempt to say that we didn't tank for Durant, we were just bad, and the various picking of nits that follows.

I believe the term the kids use these days is "throwing shade"

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2015, 11:03:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'm rooting more heavily for the Lakers to strike out in free agency than I am for the Celtics to do anything at all.

??? No.

Once Kobe is gone so is that team, unless KD or Lebron go there. LMA couldn't save Portland with Lillard, Matthews, and Lopez, why could he do it with Russel and Randle? Same goes for Love.

The whole laker situation and their direction confuses me.  Lets say they get Aldridge.  I agree with you that just adding him doesn't do much.  I still think, while a better one, they're still a lottery team.  You'd think a big free agent who is 30 wouldn't join a team to wait for the rookies to come around.  So what next?  Use the rookies to trade for an impact player on a bad team that's looking to go young and rebuild?  I don't think the salaries would match (established player versus rookie pay scale) so what else would the lakers include to entice the other team? 

I'm no salary cap expert.  Can they sign more than one free agent this year?  Next year they'll have a lot of space (cap increases and Kobe comes off the books) but again, does a 30 year old free agent want to join this team, likely be in the lottery and hope that a big name free agent ditches a lot of money and more years from their current team just to join the lakers?
The Lakers should be able to acquire both Aldridge and Jordan, which seems to be their main incentive.  They will then need to add some quality veteran minimum type players to fill out the wing and bench, but if they do get both they have a pretty nice team with Jordan, Aldridge, Bryant, Young, Russell, Randle, and Clarkson.  Still need depth, but should pretty easily be a playoff team with those 7 at the top of the roster.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2015, 11:03:43 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Love that idea.

We tanked for Duncan.

Anyways, organization has clearly shown they won't tank these days.  Ainge prefers just collecting assets for trade.

Well, about halfway through last season it seemed very much like Ainge was making moves to tank, and the year before that was pretty much a tank season.

I think making playoffs was a 'happy mistake' this year.  Sure, Ainge could have done more to engineer the team downward.  I think he saw the team making some unexpected runs in January and February and decided that if he could pick up an asset or two at the deadline and the guys surprised in making a late run, it'd increase the chance of convincing a free agent to sign here.

Welp, we made the playoffs and missed out on making a selection in the top 10, and now it looks like free agents are just as disinterested as they would have been last summer.  Win some, lose some I guess.

Keep in mind Ainge traded for Isaiah Thomas.  That clearly shows the plan is collecting assets and not tanking, in addition to every other move Ainge has made.

He doesn't want to rely on ping pong balls and I share the thinking.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2015, 11:14:55 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton

??? No.

The Lakers should be able to acquire both Aldridge and Jordan, which seems to be their main incentive.  They will then need to add some quality veteran minimum type players to fill out the wing and bench, but if they do get both they have a pretty nice team with Jordan, Aldridge, Bryant, Young, Russell, Randle, and Clarkson.  Still need depth, but should pretty easily be a playoff team with those 7 at the top of the roster.

I think getting Jordan is a long shot for the lakers.  Apparently he's unhappy being the third option offensively behind Griffin and Paul.  Why go to the lakers to be that AND get less money/years.

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2015, 11:18:28 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

??? No.

The Lakers CANNOT give both Aldridge and Jordan max deals.  I also think you are seriously overestimating the impact that Russell, Randle, Young and Clarkson.

Mike

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2015, 11:19:33 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143

??? No.

The Lakers CANNOT give both Aldridge and Jordan max deals.  I also think you are seriously overestimating the impact that Russell, Randle, Young and Clarkson.

Mike

There is genuinely nobody on that implausible hypothetical roster that can play even rudimentary defense other than Jordan.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2015, 11:21:41 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton

??? No.

The Lakers CANNOT give both Aldridge and Jordan max deals. I also think you are seriously overestimating the impact that Russell, Randle, Young and Clarkson.

Mike

Agree and I would even add Kobe to that list (in terms of his impact over an ENTIRE season).

« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2015, 11:55:30 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA
Spurs are walking into the LaMarcus Aldridge meeting right now, armed with Danny Green, cap space and frontrunner status on luring Aldridge.

I have to check my numbers, but I don't think they have the cap space just yet...

« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2015, 01:10:46 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Let's add some family drama up in here!

Austin Rivers @AustinRivers25
Go to do what I got to do. No hard feelings.

« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2015, 01:13:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

?? what does this mean. He is going to sign with another team?

Who is going to want AA outside of dad

« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2015, 01:15:21 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

?? what does this mean. He is going to sign with another team?

Who is going to want AA outside of dad

Or maybe Dad isn't giving him priority, and he got tired of waiting...

Or maybe this is about something else entirely, but that wouldn't be fun.