Author Topic: It's midnight  (Read 21848 times)

Re: It's midnight
« Reply #105 on: July 01, 2015, 02:30:17 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Woj says we've been on the phone with Corey Brewer.
CORRREEEEEY BREEEEWWEEEERR!!!!!!! 

#17 Here we come, baby!

You must still have your lakers jersey on.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #106 on: July 01, 2015, 02:32:03 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Corey Brewer, Amir Johnson, Gerald Green.  #Fireworks.

What? You think they'll sign all of them?

« Reply #107 on: July 01, 2015, 02:37:07 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Mostly just mystified these are the names we are hearing.  If those are the options, forget free agency.  Let the rookies play.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #108 on: July 01, 2015, 02:38:42 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
DA is the best GM and is going to get Kevin Love here. 

« Reply #109 on: July 01, 2015, 02:40:01 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

Mostly just mystified these are the names we are hearing.  If those are the options, forget free agency.  Let the rookies play.

You know after last summer and the draft, It makes sense that the Celtics are lowering expectations and letting the media know that they're going after lesser known free agents. Is everyone really surprised with this?

« Reply #110 on: July 01, 2015, 02:40:25 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
DA is the best GM and is going to get Kevin Love here.

If they can get a meeting with him.  ;)

« Reply #111 on: July 01, 2015, 02:42:26 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

You know after last summer and the draft, It makes sense that the Celtics are lowering expectations and letting the media know that they're going after lesser known free agents. Is everyone really surprised with this?

But what is the point of even pursuing those guys?  These are guys we would have courted in the Big 3 days.

We've got bench guys out our ears already.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #112 on: July 01, 2015, 02:44:08 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

But what is the point of even pursuing those guys?  These are guys we would have courted in the Big 3 days.

Maybe Stevens wants them, maybe because they have a deal done with quality free agent (unlikely but let's assume.)

« Reply #113 on: July 01, 2015, 02:45:21 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Maybe Stevens wants them, maybe because they have a deal done with quality free agent (unlikely but let's assume.)

It'd have to be more like a couple of big trades for fewer pieces creating room for supporting players.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #114 on: July 01, 2015, 02:45:33 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Woj says we've been on the phone with Corey Brewer.
CORRREEEEEY BREEEEWWEEEERR!!!!!!! 

#17 Here we come, baby!

You must still have your lakers jersey on.
It wasn't a typo...  #17 here we come....

:(

« Reply #115 on: July 01, 2015, 02:46:41 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

It'd have to be more like a couple of big trades for fewer pieces creating room for supporting players.

Eh, at this point I think the Celtics are just putting out feelers at players in case they strike out on the big free agents, and are looking at trades for flexibility.

« Reply #116 on: July 01, 2015, 02:52:28 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75

We've got bench guys out our ears already.
agreed

« Reply #117 on: July 01, 2015, 02:56:28 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
A little glimmer of optimism before I bail for the night and go watch Jerry Maguire....

When can free agents officially beginning signing with teams?
While team?s can negotiate with free agents starting July 1, they can not officially sign a contract until July 8. This is known as the ?July Moratorium? and is when the league reviews the revenue from the previous season and officially sets the salary cap.

For those that are staying up late waiting to see some big signing, just understand that today is only the beginning of the free agent negotiation period.  Nobody can physically sign a contract until July 8th.   So if what we're hearing is true about Boston targeting guys like Tobias Harris and Khris Middleton (both restricted free agents), they can't even physically sign a contract until July 8th... and then I think there's a 3 day period where their original team has the ability to match the offer (since those particular players are restricted).   

To even put ourselves in that position, I think we need to renounce the rights to players like Brandon Bass so that we even have enough cap space to offer a contract to a guy like Harris. 

So say Boston wants Harris... There's no real reason for Boston to announce that intention now.  They'll just have to wait until the 8th, sign the contract and wait... and that will tie up our money in the process while we wait to see if Orlando matches.  And then if they do, we try for Plan B...

But say we succeed in signing someone like Harris/Middleton and the original team inexplicably refuses to match... well now maybe we move onto another step which could potentially involve dumping Wallace's contract and finding another free agent.  I mean... all sorts of stuff could take place.

In other words, this process will take some time.   Go take a vacation for a couple weeks and come back to see where things stand.   It's very unlikely you'll see anything major announced tonight.   But there's no reason to freak out... yet.   

« Reply #118 on: July 01, 2015, 03:27:10 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
A little glimmer of optimism before I bail for the night and go watch Jerry Maguire....

When can free agents officially beginning signing with teams?
While team?s can negotiate with free agents starting July 1, they can not officially sign a contract until July 8. This is known as the ?July Moratorium? and is when the league reviews the revenue from the previous season and officially sets the salary cap.

For those that are staying up late waiting to see some big signing, just understand that today is only the beginning of the free agent negotiation period.  Nobody can physically sign a contract until July 8th.   So if what we're hearing is true about Boston targeting guys like Tobias Harris and Khris Middleton (both restricted free agents), they can't even physically sign a contract until July 8th... and then I think there's a 3 day period where their original team has the ability to match the offer (since those particular players are restricted).   

To even put ourselves in that position, I think we need to renounce the rights to players like Brandon Bass so that we even have enough cap space to offer a contract to a guy like Harris. 

So say Boston wants Harris... There's no real reason for Boston to announce that intention now.  They'll just have to wait until the 8th, sign the contract and wait... and that will tie up our money in the process while we wait to see if Orlando matches.  And then if they do, we try for Plan B...

But say we succeed in signing someone like Harris/Middleton and the original team inexplicably refuses to match... well now maybe we move onto another step which could potentially involve dumping Wallace's contract and finding another free agent.  I mean... all sorts of stuff could take place.

In other words, this process will take some time.   Go take a vacation for a couple weeks and come back to see where things stand.   It's very unlikely you'll see anything major announced tonight.   But there's no reason to freak out... yet.

Exactly.
One question : Is it possible that several teams make an offer sheet on the same day for Harris?

« Reply #119 on: July 01, 2015, 03:42:04 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Sure, why not?  The better question though is A) how many teams have the cap space to even make such an offer sheet to Harris and B) how many of those teams are willing to tie up their cap space for that amount of time while the Magic decide to match. 

Making an offer sheet to Harris is a 'cost opportunity' because it might cost the team the opportunity to pursue other quality free agents who are out there while their cap space is being tied up to the offer.

Exactly.
One question : Is it possible that several teams make an offer sheet on the same day for Harris?